Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT... - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums


2005-2009 Mustang S197 Discussion & News

Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2/11/18, 01:19 AM   #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Global_Saffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with a Diablo Sport Predator V1 tuner? Just bought my first Mustang and need a little advice on it from those who have gone before me...

I've always wanted a Mustang, and finally decided to buy one. Today I bought a 2007 GT Premium (windveil blue, interiour upgrade package, 18" wheels) with 35k miles on it for 12k, in pretty fantastic condition. I know the 2011+ models have 400HP vs this ones 300HP, but that's enough for me right now. Unfortunately it's an automatic (5 speed), but I was swayed by the incredibly low miles, condition of the car, and the available history.

First owner had the car for a year, put on 2k miles then sold it to the second owner who had a ton of upgrades installed by the local Ford dealership and other local shops. Second owner put most of the rest of the miles on over the next few years, then got sick for a while and let the car sit covered in their garage. He eventually passed away, and his wife sold the car to yours truly. The guy was meticulous and kept every slip from everything he ever had done, so I've got a great history. Heck, he still had the original window sticker. I got a Carfax report on the car which lines up with what I was told and could see in the vehicles file.

Other than the cosmetic upgrades and notes, I have slips for:
  • Diablo Sport Predator Tuning Tool, which was also given to me.
  • Camber Adjusters, Billett
  • Steeda Bump-steer Kit
  • Pro Street headers
  • Anti-Roll Kit #M-5490-A
  • X-Pipe Exhaust
  • Ford Racing Ring Gear and Pinion Set
  • Ford Racing Ring & Pinion Install Kit
  • Air Raid Intake System
I'm really interested in finding out about what kind of tune the car has. The traction control is currently off, and is apparently set that way through the Diablo Sport Predator mod (according to the vehicle notes that came with it). Notes also say the car is tuned for 92 octane fuel. I don't plan to do any track or street racing, and want the car best tuned as a semi frequent daily driver than can also handle a bit of snow, and occasionally be driven by my wife. Tires are looking a bit thin and I plan to replace them with all weather tires.

How do I go about finding out what's been done, and getting tracking control turned back on? I'm assuming I want to be able to turn it on and off? What else should I be considering?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Put 150 miles on it today, and had a great time...
Global_Saffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Old 2/11/18, 08:42 AM   #2  
Cobra Member
 
NC07GTCS's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 17, 2012
Location: Western NC
Posts: 1,138
Thanked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Your last sentence was extremely important. You drove the car and had a great time. Leave it the heck alone unless you know of an extremely competent mechanic. That same mechanic will be able to answer all your questions too. These car forums (not just Mustangs) are all filled with threads about modded cars that don't run right. You happen to have one that is done right. Keep it that way. You bought wisely and did very well on a low mileage example.
As far as tires, get some quality rubber for that beauty especially with your wife driving it too. Personally I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is the best tire I have ever owned in all conditions. Heavy rain, snow/ice. Quiet too. Made in the USA. I just bought a set for my C6 as well. A set in the size you see below was $800 'out the door' (taxes, high speed balance, everything).
Post some photos when you get the chance.
Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...-img_20180211_0001.jpg
NC07GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NC07GTCS For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:01 AM   #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Global_Saffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC07GTCS View Post
Your last sentence was extremely important. You drove the car and had a great time. Leave it the heck alone unless you know of an extremely competent mechanic. That same mechanic will be able to answer all your questions too. These car forums (not just Mustangs) are all filled with threads about modded cars that don't run right. You happen to have one that is done right. Keep it that way. You bought wisely and did very well on a low mileage example.
As far as tires, get some quality rubber for that beauty especially with your wife driving it too. Personally I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is the best tire I have ever owned in all conditions. Heavy rain, snow/ice. Quiet too. Made in the USA. I just bought a set for my C6 as well. A set in the size you see below was $800 'out the door' (taxes, high speed balance, everything).
Post some photos when you get the chance.
Attachment 211267

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'm going to see if I can get those tires on in the next week or two.

So it traction control not really a big deal?
Attached Thumbnails
Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...-img_20180210_141048958_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Global_Saffer; 2/11/18 at 10:02 AM.
Global_Saffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/11/18, 10:01 AM   #4  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
Cavero's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Posts: 2,210
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
+1 on the tires, I had some Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 at one point, I was amazed at what I could get away with. Continental Extreme Contact DWS is another great choice. I've found them pretty comparable to the Michelins. I think the sidewalls are a little softer so a little more comfortable and not quite as sharp but still plenty sporty.

For winter driving, some weight in the trunk goes a long way too. Cat litter's good because you can pour it out for traction if you get stuck.

Check the options on the tuner for traction control. I know the SCT tuners can change settings like that on the the tuner when you're reloading the tune (if the shop didnt lock the settings down)
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cavero For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:04 AM   #5  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
Cavero's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Posts: 2,210
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global_Saffer View Post
Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'm going to see if I can get those tires on in the next week or two.

So it traction control not really a big deal?
In a manual, it helps but you can finesse the clutch and gas. In an auto I dont know.
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cavero For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:08 AM   #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Global_Saffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavero View Post
+1 on the tires, I had some Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 at one point, I was amazed at what I could get away with. Continental Extreme Contact DWS is another great choice. I've found them pretty comparable to the Michelins. I think the sidewalls are a little softer so a little more comfortable and not quite as sharp but still plenty sporty.

For winter driving, some weight in the trunk goes a long way too. Cat litter's good because you can pour it out for traction if you get stuck.

Check the options on the tuner for traction control. I know the SCT tuners can change settings like that on the the tuner when you're reloading the tune (if the shop didnt lock the settings down)
I just moved to central Washington State, and I see there is a shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs. I think maybe I'll plan a few days down there and get them to look at it for me. The notes mention a 'custom tune' from Diablo. I can't seem to find TC in the settings, but the PC cable is missing so maybe I can update the tuner tool online once I've replaced it and get it to show up. Up till now my biggest mechanical project was changing spark plugs and oil on a 80's Ford sedan so I'm slightly terrified of messing something up with the electronics.
Global_Saffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/11/18, 10:39 AM   #7  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
Cavero's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 13, 2006
Posts: 2,210
Thanked 40 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Global_Saffer View Post
I just moved to central Washington State, and I see there is a shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs. I think maybe I'll plan a few days down there and get them to look at it for me. The notes mention a 'custom tune' from Diablo. I can't seem to find TC in the settings, but the PC cable is missing so maybe I can update the tuner tool online once I've replaced it and get it to show up. Up till now my biggest mechanical project was changing spark plugs and oil on a 80's Ford sedan so I'm slightly terrified of messing something up with the electronics.
Even if you get a copy of Diablo’s tuning software or have to take it to a tuning shop, traction control will be a setting that's totally separate from your air/fuel map, timing, and all the other parameters that keep the engine running smoothly. Very little chance of you messing it up. Plus you can back up the original tune
Cavero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cavero For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 01:22 PM   #8  
Mach 1 Member
 
Join Date: August 1, 2015
Posts: 512
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 45 Posts
When you go to reload the tune there should be an options or modify tune option for you to switch the traction control back on. I had a Diablo way back and I think that is the way I remember it.
07 Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 07 Boss For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/19/18, 11:39 PM   #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Global_Saffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 11, 2018
Posts: 6
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK so the car has tires that I think are too big, and rub against the body a little. It current has 275/45 tires on. Why would someone put such a big tire on?

I'm looking at buying tires online (to make use of good store card terms), then having a local shop install them. They have 4 of the Continentals in stock, but not enough of the Michelin. The Continental size is 235/55 R18. Would that make much of a difference vs a new set of 235/50 R18's?

I hate to admit it but I only learnt about tire sizes, and how to read them, today.
Global_Saffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2/20/18, 02:48 PM   #10  
GTR Member
 
m05fastbackGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 11, 2006
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 6,049
Thanked 205 Times in 196 Posts
If you're running OEM stock 18x8'' wheels, 245/45/18. OEM 18x8.5 wheel, 245/40/18. OEM 18x9 wheel, 255/40/18, all sizes are for front and rear. 275/45/18" tires are too large for anything under 8.5" wheel size diameter (rear only)

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/20/18 at 03:06 PM.
m05fastbackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m05fastbackGT For This Useful Post:
Global_Saffer (2/20/18)
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New owner of a 2007...need alarm keyfob advice Silver07Pony Warranty and Service Issues 5 6/15/11 12:00 AM
Guys I need some advice and possibly some help 98Stanger Rocket City Mustang Club 9 7/29/07 03:04 PM
Looking for new front brakes...need some advice Chaotic Bliss GT Performance Mods 15 3/15/07 06:36 AM
In the market for 2007 GT - Need advice metroplex 2005-2009 Mustang 29 10/5/06 03:47 PM
Some new additions, some Ford, some not Redbaron93 Toys and Automobilia 3 3/1/06 11:22 AM


Tags
gt premium, traction control, tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:29 PM.


© 2010, The Mustang Source
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.