2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...

Old 2/11/18, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience with a Diablo Sport Predator V1 tuner? Just bought my first Mustang and need a little advice on it from those who have gone before me...

I've always wanted a Mustang, and finally decided to buy one. Today I bought a 2007 GT Premium (windveil blue, interiour upgrade package, 18" wheels) with 35k miles on it for 12k, in pretty fantastic condition. I know the 2011+ models have 400HP vs this ones 300HP, but that's enough for me right now. Unfortunately it's an automatic (5 speed), but I was swayed by the incredibly low miles, condition of the car, and the available history.

First owner had the car for a year, put on 2k miles then sold it to the second owner who had a ton of upgrades installed by the local Ford dealership and other local shops. Second owner put most of the rest of the miles on over the next few years, then got sick for a while and let the car sit covered in their garage. He eventually passed away, and his wife sold the car to yours truly. The guy was meticulous and kept every slip from everything he ever had done, so I've got a great history. Heck, he still had the original window sticker. I got a Carfax report on the car which lines up with what I was told and could see in the vehicles file.

Other than the cosmetic upgrades and notes, I have slips for:
  • Diablo Sport Predator Tuning Tool, which was also given to me.
  • Camber Adjusters, Billett
  • Steeda Bump-steer Kit
  • Pro Street headers
  • Anti-Roll Kit #M-5490-A
  • X-Pipe Exhaust
  • Ford Racing Ring Gear and Pinion Set
  • Ford Racing Ring & Pinion Install Kit
  • Air Raid Intake System
I'm really interested in finding out about what kind of tune the car has. The traction control is currently off, and is apparently set that way through the Diablo Sport Predator mod (according to the vehicle notes that came with it). Notes also say the car is tuned for 92 octane fuel. I don't plan to do any track or street racing, and want the car best tuned as a semi frequent daily driver than can also handle a bit of snow, and occasionally be driven by my wife. Tires are looking a bit thin and I plan to replace them with all weather tires.

How do I go about finding out what's been done, and getting tracking control turned back on? I'm assuming I want to be able to turn it on and off? What else should I be considering?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Put 150 miles on it today, and had a great time...
Old 2/11/18, 08:42 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Your last sentence was extremely important. You drove the car and had a great time. Leave it the heck alone unless you know of an extremely competent mechanic. That same mechanic will be able to answer all your questions too. These car forums (not just Mustangs) are all filled with threads about modded cars that don't run right. You happen to have one that is done right. Keep it that way. You bought wisely and did very well on a low mileage example.
As far as tires, get some quality rubber for that beauty especially with your wife driving it too. Personally I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is the best tire I have ever owned in all conditions. Heavy rain, snow/ice. Quiet too. Made in the USA. I just bought a set for my C6 as well. A set in the size you see below was $800 'out the door' (taxes, high speed balance, everything).
Post some photos when you get the chance.
Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...-img_20180211_0001.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Your last sentence was extremely important. You drove the car and had a great time. Leave it the heck alone unless you know of an extremely competent mechanic. That same mechanic will be able to answer all your questions too. These car forums (not just Mustangs) are all filled with threads about modded cars that don't run right. You happen to have one that is done right. Keep it that way. You bought wisely and did very well on a low mileage example.
As far as tires, get some quality rubber for that beauty especially with your wife driving it too. Personally I bought a set of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ which is the best tire I have ever owned in all conditions. Heavy rain, snow/ice. Quiet too. Made in the USA. I just bought a set for my C6 as well. A set in the size you see below was $800 'out the door' (taxes, high speed balance, everything).
Post some photos when you get the chance.
Attachment 211267

Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'm going to see if I can get those tires on in the next week or two.

So it traction control not really a big deal?
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice on a 'new' 2007 GT...-img_20180210_141048958_hdr.jpg  

Last edited by Global_Saffer; 2/11/18 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2/11/18, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
+1 on the tires, I had some Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 at one point, I was amazed at what I could get away with. Continental Extreme Contact DWS is another great choice. I've found them pretty comparable to the Michelins. I think the sidewalls are a little softer so a little more comfortable and not quite as sharp but still plenty sporty.

For winter driving, some weight in the trunk goes a long way too. Cat litter's good because you can pour it out for traction if you get stuck.

Check the options on the tuner for traction control. I know the SCT tuners can change settings like that on the the tuner when you're reloading the tune (if the shop didnt lock the settings down)
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Global_Saffer
Thanks for the advice, it's much appreciated. I'm going to see if I can get those tires on in the next week or two.

So it traction control not really a big deal?
In a manual, it helps but you can finesse the clutch and gas. In an auto I dont know.
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cavero
+1 on the tires, I had some Michelin Pilot Sports on my '06 at one point, I was amazed at what I could get away with. Continental Extreme Contact DWS is another great choice. I've found them pretty comparable to the Michelins. I think the sidewalls are a little softer so a little more comfortable and not quite as sharp but still plenty sporty.

For winter driving, some weight in the trunk goes a long way too. Cat litter's good because you can pour it out for traction if you get stuck.

Check the options on the tuner for traction control. I know the SCT tuners can change settings like that on the the tuner when you're reloading the tune (if the shop didnt lock the settings down)
I just moved to central Washington State, and I see there is a shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs. I think maybe I'll plan a few days down there and get them to look at it for me. The notes mention a 'custom tune' from Diablo. I can't seem to find TC in the settings, but the PC cable is missing so maybe I can update the tuner tool online once I've replaced it and get it to show up. Up till now my biggest mechanical project was changing spark plugs and oil on a 80's Ford sedan so I'm slightly terrified of messing something up with the electronics.
Old 2/11/18, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Global_Saffer
I just moved to central Washington State, and I see there is a shop in Seattle that specializes in Mustangs. I think maybe I'll plan a few days down there and get them to look at it for me. The notes mention a 'custom tune' from Diablo. I can't seem to find TC in the settings, but the PC cable is missing so maybe I can update the tuner tool online once I've replaced it and get it to show up. Up till now my biggest mechanical project was changing spark plugs and oil on a 80's Ford sedan so I'm slightly terrified of messing something up with the electronics.
Even if you get a copy of Diablo’s tuning software or have to take it to a tuning shop, traction control will be a setting that's totally separate from your air/fuel map, timing, and all the other parameters that keep the engine running smoothly. Very little chance of you messing it up. Plus you can back up the original tune
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/11/18, 01:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
When you go to reload the tune there should be an options or modify tune option for you to switch the traction control back on. I had a Diablo way back and I think that is the way I remember it.
Global_Saffer (2/11/18)
Old 2/19/18, 11:39 PM

OK so the car has tires that I think are too big, and rub against the body a little. It current has 275/45 tires on. Why would someone put such a big tire on?

I'm looking at buying tires online (to make use of good store card terms), then having a local shop install them. They have 4 of the Continentals in stock, but not enough of the Michelin. The Continental size is 235/55 R18. Would that make much of a difference vs a new set of 235/50 R18's?

I hate to admit it but I only learnt about tire sizes, and how to read them, today.
Old 2/20/18, 02:48 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,951 Likes on 1,580 Posts
If you're running OEM stock 18x8'' wheels, 245/45/18. OEM 18x8.5 wheel, 245/40/18. OEM 18x9 wheel, 255/40/18, all sizes are for front and rear. 275/45/18" tires are too large for anything under 8.5" wheel size diameter (rear only)

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 2/20/18 at 03:06 PM.
Global_Saffer (2/20/18)