2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need to repaint my door only

Search this Thread

Old 6/12/06, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to repaint my door only

So I got a door dent because some loser decided to be careless around my car. It's not all that big, but the problem is that it's on the body line or seam running along the door. The dealer told me they could fix it but need to repaint the door afterward.

My question is how well would the paint match the rest of the car? I only have 3300 miles on it. I want to get it done but nervous to because I'm worried the door will look different than the rest of the car. Has only had to repaint a section of the car and if so, how did it turn out??
Old 6/12/06, 07:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by J2snoop
So I got a door dent because some loser decided to be careless around my car. It's not all that big, but the problem is that it's on the body line or seam running along the door. The dealer told me they could fix it but need to repaint the door afterward.

My question is how well would the paint match the rest of the car? I only have 3300 miles on it. I want to get it done but nervous to because I'm worried the door will look different than the rest of the car. Has only had to repaint a section of the car and if so, how did it turn out??
I don't want to depress you, but it will be virtually impossible to paint just the door and have it match with the fender and rear quarter. They need to blend in to the adjacent panels at a minimum to create the illusion of a smooth color transition between the new and old paint, otherwise it will show.

Many people will probably reply and say it can be done by just doing the door, but my experience is that it will show.

If you're anywhere near RI, you should take it here: www.autopaintri.com
The shop is immaculately clean and neat, and the work is flawless. Of course, I'm biased because my brohter owns it, but he really is absolutely the best shop anywhere.

One tip for you - make sure that whoever you use removes all the trim, like the mirror, door handle, lock cylinder (assuming it's the driver's door), and belt molding along the top of the door near the window. The last thing you want is overspray on those pieces, plus if they don't remove them, they won't be able to buff it out as well.
Old 6/12/06, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the heads up. The dealer said that because the dent is further than 12-inches away from the fender, than they don't need to paint the fender. I do plan on getting a couple more quotes though.
Old 6/12/06, 09:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12-18 inches is all that's required to blend within the panel. Got a pic? Did it break the paint? Before you do anything... check and see if Dent Wizard or some other Paintless Dent Removal company can get it out. That'd be the best way to go if it's possible.
Old 6/13/06, 09:52 AM
Team Mustang Source

Like suggested, if the paint is not broken, check with Dent Wizard or a comparable service. Have used them twice with great results. I had a quarter size dent above the rear wheel.
The tech drilled a hole in the wheel well lining so he could get access to the dent and then put a plug sealed with slicone in the hole. It cost $100 but thats probably 1/3rd of what a paint job would run.
Old 6/13/06, 09:55 PM

Attached is a pic. The paint is not chipped. I don't think Dent Wizards will work because the dent is on a body line.

Old 6/13/06, 11:21 PM

Hey J2Snoop! Dent wizard will work on the panel line! My 05 was parked next to a friend's satin silver 06. The wind caught my door and it creased his passenger door in the same position. It made me sick to have to tell him that my carelessness was responsible for the first dent in his month old Mustang! I told him the repair was mine to cover and suggested he at least ask if the dent could removed from the inside. Several days later as I pulled into my space, I noticed that the dent was gone. I mean it was flawless! Whoever fixed it for him was an artist. He gave me the bill ($80) which I gladly paid.
Old 6/14/06, 03:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

im not really typing this im thinking it

go rent a yellow stang and swop out the doors
Old 6/14/06, 07:27 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vc4life
im not really typing this im thinking it

go rent a yellow stang and swop out the doors
Old 6/14/06, 11:41 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
odd that people say they have to blend it in with the other panels, considering I had a body kit painted and installed and it matched the factory paint perfectly. (prior to having the entire car painted a year later :P )
Old 6/14/06, 01:24 PM
Cobra Member

I too had a dent removed from a body panel edge. I thought it couldn't be done, but a good dent remover will give you an estimate of how much of the dent they can take out before starting. I'm on a first name basis with one in the Memphis area. If you're uncomfortable with one estimate, try another. Not all of them are equally skilled at the process.
Old 8/16/06, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Dentwizards can remove that one...no sweat...give them a call!
Old 8/16/06, 10:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Had the same thing happen to mine the first week I had the car! Mine did scuff the paint not really a chip. And it was by another Mustang, a sn95! The dealer body shop wanted 260 to fix it I got the guy from dent wizzard to do it for 20 bucks. He was on the lot doing a used car for the dealer and Im sure he pocketed the money. But he got the dent out and after a good wax im the only one that can tell. No one even notices. I'll eventually get it painted and fixed, probably when I get painted stripes, until then I can live with it.
Old 8/16/06, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
[quote=Bob99b5]I don't want to depress you, but it will be virtually impossible to paint just the door and have it match with the fender and rear quarter.quote]

I'm no body man but have had work done to my cars in the past and I was under the impression that you can get the exact paint used from the factory. Are all cars from the factory slightly different in shades????....If the car is that new and the paint is not faded it should be very easy to match up using the factory paint.
Old 8/16/06, 02:11 PM
I lust for a M24

[quote=black sunshine]
Originally Posted by Bob99b5
I don't want to depress you, but it will be virtually impossible to paint just the door and have it match with the fender and rear quarter.quote]

I'm no body man but have had work done to my cars in the past and I was under the impression that you can get the exact paint used from the factory. Are all cars from the factory slightly different in shades????....If the car is that new and the paint is not faded it should be very easy to match up using the factory paint.
Sorry dude, that's way wrong. Even from the factory, there's variants of colors. The PPG's, Dupont's, SWilliams, etc have books that show many different shades of the same paint code. Bodyshops use these books to determine which variant is the closest match to the car being repaired, and even then, there can be color match issues if not blended properly. Even little things like what PSI the gun is at and humidity can effect color. Metallic colors and especially pearls can be a real pain to get the metal flake to lay down properly so it matches the rest of the paint, etc.... It's 'literally' an art form.
Old 8/16/06, 02:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Are all the body parts of a car painted at the same time with the same gun on the same day in the factory???? Hood, fenders, plastic trim, nose...etc etc....Are they painted seperatley and assembled later????..I hope not because what was said in the above post it's possible to have a car come fresh out of the factory with five or six shades of the same color on each body panel......Always was curius about the paint procedures in the factory because factory paint jobs are typically pretty good.
Old 8/16/06, 08:30 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by black sunshine
Are all the body parts of a car painted at the same time with the same gun on the same day in the factory???? Hood, fenders, plastic trim, nose...etc etc....Are they painted seperatley and assembled later????..I hope not because what was said in the above post it's possible to have a car come fresh out of the factory with five or six shades of the same color on each body panel......Always was curius about the paint procedures in the factory because factory paint jobs are typically pretty good.
Not 100% sure, I think most of it's painted at the same time, but not all like some of the bolt on parts. For example, my bumper covers don't match the car too well... but I think that also has a lot to do with the way eurathane absorbs pigment differently than sheetmetal. I'm sure the factory tolerances are pretty tight, but they probably vary over months of production.
Old 8/16/06, 11:55 PM
Cobra R Member

snoop...dont get it repainted...get the Dent wizard/Dent doctor (whatever there called in your area)...it will not be visible after there finished...we had them take two dents (one in same area as yours) out of a solara and there is no way you can tell the dents where ever there...not even close up...
Old 8/17/06, 12:01 AM
Bullitt Member

my bumpers don;t match the car espcially the rear ones,,, they were not repainted, this from fords factory,, the car is white and the bumper is a bit offwhite,, it pissses me of sometimes,,, but i still love my car