2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

need a new mod...

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/07, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...And if you act now, you get TWO sets of these SUPER SHARP tomato knives... absolutely FREE!
Old 12/31/07, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ginsu, right?
Old 1/1/08, 12:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

say i get the tuner and keep the K&N. 3 months down the road i decided to upgrade to a JLT or C&L. would i need to get a new tune for that specific CAI?

o and thanks for all the help everyone. definetely making this alot easier as always. gotta love TMS members
Old 1/1/08, 01:51 AM
Bullitt Member

How can you be bored of moding your stang and not have a CAI or tune yet? Stickers and air freshners do not count as mods...
Old 1/1/08, 03:34 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by slipnotovk
say i get the tuner and keep the K&N. 3 months down the road i decided to upgrade to a JLT or C&L. would i need to get a new tune for that specific CAI?

o and thanks for all the help everyone. definetely making this alot easier as always. gotta love TMS members

A performance tune, by itself and regardless of your CAI, will improve the ride of your mustang. You just happen to get more out of it with a tune specified to every performance mod you have. However, once you get the tuner, you can have a custom mod written that takes into account every performance mod you have. So you could get the tuner now, install a generic performance tune or a custom one (depending on what you'd prefer), and then a few months later if you change the CAI either leave the tune as it is or get a new one written to compensate for your new CAI.
Old 1/1/08, 07:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Short answer: yes you would need to retune because of the different intake diameter (unless you got the k&n CAI which has the stock diameter, but you won't see anywhere near the results of the 83+ mm intakes).

Long explanation of why it is you would need to retune (basically how MAF's work): here

The long explanation was from a thread about the k&n drop-in filter and the specific question was if you needed to retune just because you put in a less restrictive filter. The answer was no, but tuning the car with a stock intake improves things none the less.
Old 1/1/08, 08:39 AM
Cobra Member

Get a CAI and Tune.
Old 1/1/08, 11:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

its a K&N CAI, not a dropin. i think everyone thinks i just have the drop in and that isnt the case. this is what i have right now:
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/632565.gif.

im not sure ill just go with the tuner alone or a package (which would most likely be the C&L Air Intake System and an SCT X-calibrator 2). but i am saving up for one of them, cannot wait to place my order with brenspeed.

o and bored out, thre isnt a sticker on my stang and the only air freshener in there (black ice btw) has run out so any xtra HP i got outta that has dried up ahahahaha.
Old 1/1/08, 12:13 PM
Cobra Member

If you dont already have axle-backs I would go for the H-pipe. If you have some new mufflers already then go for the CAI/Tune
Old 1/1/08, 01:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
its a K&N CAI, not a dropin. i think everyone thinks i just have the drop in and that isnt the case. this is what i have right now:
http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_2005/images/632565.gif.

im not sure ill just go with the tuner alone or a package (which would most likely be the C&L Air Intake System and an SCT X-calibrator 2). but i am saving up for one of them, cannot wait to place my order with brenspeed.

o and bored out, thre isnt a sticker on my stang and the only air freshener in there (black ice btw) has run out so any xtra HP i got outta that has dried up ahahahaha.

Oh...sorry. The k&n intake is the same diameter as stock, so the answer is still the same. Yes you'll have to retune. But--most performance shops on this site (BamaChips, Tillman, I think BrennSpeed only if you ordered the new parts from them) will give you free updates to your tunes. So lets say you do get it tuned for the K&N CAI and then get the JLT, they'll update your tune and e-mail it to you for free. Then just use the LiveLoad software that came with the SCT and load it to the tuner and then to the car. Same thing if you get new gears or a set of headers, etc.
Old 1/1/08, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Oh...sorry. The k&n intake is the same diameter as stock, so the answer is still the same. Yes you'll have to retune. But--most performance shops on this site (BamaChips, Tillman, I think BrennSpeed only if you ordered the new parts from them) will give you free updates to your tunes. So lets say you do get it tuned for the K&N CAI and then get the JLT, they'll update your tune and e-mail it to you for free. Then just use the LiveLoad software that came with the SCT and load it to the tuner and then to the car. Same thing if you get new gears or a set of headers, etc.
for free? nice! yea i prob will just go fir the tuner then later on get the C&L CAI.

o and officespace56, i do have the flowmaster axlebacks on there already. as a matter of fact, i bought the mufflers weeks before i even went looking for the car! i had the box sitting in the garage where the car would eventually live. talk about mod crazy! i would like to get the O/R h-pipe on there as well because ive heard sound clips of the flowmasters with it and it sounds mean as h3ll.
Old 1/1/08, 09:18 PM
Cobra Member

The order I did my mods was stingers which sounded great for a stock car, then CAI/tune form Bamachips, then I went with some JBA Longtubes for a solid exhaust tone, then the Hurst short throw. Even if the pipes don't give too much more performance, in my head the car seems a whole lot faster