2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

need a new mod...

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/07, 03:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need a new mod...

i know its hard to believe but im getting alittle bored with my car and i need a new mod. trying to decide on one of the following and im having a hard time deciding

- Hurst short throw shifter
- Offroad H-pipe (probably pypes)
- Steeda ultralites
- OR save some money and go for a tuner from brenspeed

any advice would be great. thanks guys
Old 12/30/07, 03:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the HURST!!
Old 12/30/07, 04:43 PM
GT Member

Tuner or hurst would generate the most obvious change, which is usually a good thing.
Old 12/30/07, 05:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you don't have a tune yet, get the tuner- it is the best mod you can do for these cars.
Old 12/30/07, 05:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

If your going to get a shifter get the best one and buy a MGW.
Old 12/30/07, 06:03 PM

Well, I have/had them all except for the ultralites. The shifter will get you alot of compliments, esp from older crowds(i.e. old school hot-rod). I like the hurst myself.

Tuning does wonders for the cars drivability wise. You lose prob 90% of the throttle lag, and really wakes the car up.

I'm still running the pypes ORH. Louder than the Prochamber, a little raspier, but sounds good. You'll need to have the rear 02 sensors programmed out or get simulators, otherwise you'll get a SES light. Hence where the tuning starts to become a factor in all of your other mods to come.
Old 12/30/07, 07:35 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Id go for the Hurst first, then the tuner.
Old 12/30/07, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by tom281
If you don't have a tune yet, get the tuner- it is the best mod you can do for these cars.
+1 Go for the tuner and cai combo.
Old 12/30/07, 09:27 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the tuner and cold air combo from Brenspeed.
Old 12/30/07, 09:43 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Def get the tuner/tune. 2nd would be the Pypes Off road.
Old 12/30/07, 10:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

going to start savin for that tuner!!!

ive been thinking about it for so long and i think its definetely the way to go. now if i only saved my uniform allowance from work for the tuner and NOT a new snowboard id be in business. o well.

should i get a new CAI or can i use the K&N that i already have on there?
Old 12/30/07, 10:22 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start with the ultralites, I love mine...
Old 12/30/07, 10:23 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slipnotovk

ive been thinking about it for so long and i think its definetely the way to go. now if i only saved my uniform allowance from work for the tuner and NOT a new snowboard id be in business. o well.

You can keep the K&N and just get a custom tune
Old 12/31/07, 07:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
you could definitely keep the K&N drop-in filter and get the tune. That's one of my set-ups and it does make a difference, it'll feel almost like a different car. On the other hand, with the CAI you're looking at a whole different beast! In the mean time, while you're saving for whichever route you go, get the Steeda urethane shifter bushings. $23 shipped, 1 hour to install, and is so much better than stock. I've still got them installed on mine.
Old 12/31/07, 08:29 AM
TMS Legacy Member

Custom tune, the way to go. It will be a different car.
Old 12/31/07, 09:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

Take my approach that very few dare to do. Instead of buying tune files, buy SCT's software that will allow you to create your own. Learn about it from experimenting AND from tuners who are experienced. Basically understand what makes your car tick.

I believe the apprehension of most to take this approach is a result of either not wanting to know the internal workings of their own car because:

1) Lack of time, or
2) The unwillingness to learn new things, especially something as "intimidating" as tuning an OBDII vehicle. It's NOT that intimidating folks...

But in the long run, you'll be able to tweak every parameter for every future mod without having to rely on a tuner that might not be able to create a new file for you when you need it.

Whatever you decide, know that each and every car is different. Therefore, each and every car needs a unique tune file that can only be created in person on that car. I took this approach on my Whippled '05 GT. In fact, once I've put on some miles on my '08 GT500, the FIRST thing I'm going to do is tune it -- before ANY bolt-ons.

So if you buy a number of files from a tuner, know that they come from a "catalog" of files that other guys have purchased. Once uploading these files to your car, you'll most likely be able to say the car responds better, feels stronger, etc..... BUT there is no way you'll know 100 percent that it's the BEST for your car UNLESS you do it yourself. Doing this yourself will NOT require a dyno but a wide-band O2 sensor and the ability to datalog and understand what to look for.

This is my approach and most likely the reason why my car is just a "bit" quicker than Joe Blow's car with the same mods. So go ahead and take the advise of others and buy a custom (haha) tune file. I'll be just a "bit" quicker than you too. Seriously, as time passes, more and more of us will be writing our own tune files. History has proven this to be fact on older performance cars and will inevitably happen with ours. The question becomes; Do you want to be a forerunner to this process like me?

I've been exposed to this car for only 14 months now and I'm willing to bet that I know more about how these cars work than 98 percent of current owners. Would you like to be one of the two percent like me?
Old 12/31/07, 02:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by Willie
So if you buy a number of files from a tuner, know that they come from a "catalog" of files that other guys have purchased. Once uploading these files to your car, you'll most likely be able to say the car responds better, feels stronger, etc..... BUT there is no way you'll know 100 percent that it's the BEST for your car UNLESS you do it yourself. Doing this yourself will NOT require a dyno but a wide-band O2 sensor and the ability to datalog and understand what to look for.

This is my approach and most likely the reason why my car is just a "bit" quicker than Joe Blow's car with the same mods. So go ahead and take the advise of others and buy a custom (haha) tune file. I'll be just a "bit" quicker than you too. Seriously, as time passes, more and more of us will be writing our own tune files. History has proven this to be fact on older performance cars and will inevitably happen with ours. The question becomes; Do you want to be a forerunner to this process like me?
NOW FOR THE NEW LOW PRICE OF $39.99 YOU CAN KNOW TOO!! Sorry...just reminded me of an infomercial. I agree with you on this point. I got the mail order tune and saw a big difference, but when I got the car dyno tuned I saw a 17hp gain (272-->289)
Old 12/31/07, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by slipnotovk

You can def. keep the K&N like some1 said but i would suggest a new CAI. I have a K&N also right now w/ a custom tube but it isn't producing the type of HP #'s i would have if i had a JLT 2 or a C&L cai.
Old 12/31/07, 03:24 PM

With that being said i'm going to be getting a new CAI in the next couple weeks and a new tune. K&N is a great CAI for the "no tune" option tho!
Old 12/31/07, 06:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

NOW FOR THE NEW LOW PRICE OF $39.99 YOU CAN KNOW TOO!!

No, it's $29.99 with ten minutes of tech support.... LIMITED QUANTITIES AVAILABLE but only if you call within the next ten minutes.

W

Quick Reply: need a new mod...