2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need Help--Dead Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/06, 06:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think tammijoe in a recent topic has had problems with her car shutting off. It is similar, but not the same problem.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....pic=40210&st=0

I think it ended up being a poor electrical connection, and your's is likely electrical, not bad gas.

The car might throw a code when it happens and it should be checked. You are going to have to get agressive with the dealership since you are building a case for a lemon law if you can get documentation going. This is a very dangerous situation and I'm concerned about it causing an accident.
Old 1/14/06, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, no electricity USUALLY means an electrical problem. Its a new car take it to the dealership. Do you think you are going to figure out what's wrong with a car by driving it around even more? And you do realize that a dealership makes the VAST majority of its service money by finding things wrong with cars and fixing them? You are driving a car around (that has a full warranty) that you KNOW could cut off in a turn and send you into a ditch. :scratch: If the car just intermitently completely DIES, most likely it is one loose plug somewhere, and you're either going to get stranded or crash because you will not take action to fix it. Everything that happens because you didn't get it repaired is YOUR fault.
Old 1/14/06, 03:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

OKAY!!

Here's the update....Had the same problem yeseterday while driving, cut off on me twice. Totally disabled the car, and man I was pissed!! Thought I had a lemon, but called Ford's "complimentary" roadside assistance and after 4 hours of waiting, got a flatbed to come to my office and pick up my new stang. Talk about embarassing.

Well, the dealer nearest my house (Sheehy Ford) gets it the next morning and looks it over. I was worried at first that this would be a fuel pump replacement or worse, a whole injector rail replacement. Well, here's the punchline....

A Freaking Relay pin!!!! Yes, a $2.00 relay pin stopped my 300HP beauty. The shop said it looked like a factory defect, and I must have jarred it enough to break loose. I was just lucky it fell back into place two time to restart the car. So to pass on the knowlegde, if your car suddenly dies on you without warning, ask them to check Fuse box circuit 1118 and see if any pins to the coil pack are broken. You see, this just happens to be the one pathway for power to ALL of the fuel injectors! So as I thought, my baby wasn;t getting any juice. Now on the flip side, I'm fairly happy with the service Ford owned up to, as I got towed and fixed for free. May not happen to anyone else, but now you know...and knowing is half the battle...

-Darth

:jedi:
Old 1/14/06, 03:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by kevinb120@January 14, 2006, 9:27 AM
I agree, no electricity USUALLY means an electrical problem. Its a new car take it to the dealership. Do you think you are going to figure out what's wrong with a car by driving it around even more? And you do realize that a dealership makes the VAST majority of its service money by finding things wrong with cars and fixing them? You are driving a car around (that has a full warranty) that you KNOW could cut off in a turn and send you into a ditch. :scratch: If the car just intermitently completely DIES, most likely it is one loose plug somewhere, and you're either going to get stranded or crash because you will not take action to fix it. Everything that happens because you didn't get it repaired is YOUR fault.
Wow Kev, might want to try the decaf. I called the dealers in the area, including yours I might add, and got told that if the problem wasn't present then they couldn't diagnose it. Now, considering what I went through, I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to find this problem with the car running, and would have told me nothing was wrong. As it was, it was only because they had a current code on the injectors that they even found this problem (had to go to wirirng diagrams to find it). I know better than to drive a dangerous car, but had to balance with the need to go to work and the intermittent nature of the problem. ironically, I was on my way to get water remover for the gas when it died for the last time. Worked great today, no other problems yet!!

-Darth

Old 1/14/06, 04:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Darth Stang@January 14, 2006, 3:38 PM
Wow Kev, might want to try the decaf. I called the dealers in the area, including yours I might add, and got told that if the problem wasn't present then they couldn't diagnose it. Now, considering what I went through, I'm sure they wouldn't have been able to find this problem with the car running, and would have told me nothing was wrong. As it was, it was only because they had a current code on the injectors that they even found this problem (had to go to wirirng diagrams to find it). I know better than to drive a dangerous car, but had to balance with the need to go to work and the intermittent nature of the problem. ironically, I was on my way to get water remover for the gas when it died for the last time. Worked great today, no other problems yet!!

-Darth

I'm happy that you were able to get the problem taken care of before somethig bad happened...like an accident when the car turned off.

One thing that I can't understand about the service departments telling us that 'we can't fix the problem if we can't see it.
In your case they told you that the first time you called them about the problem...then when it happened again THEY FOUND A CODE IN THE COMPUTER and was able to trace the cause of the problem.

In my case they told me the same thing when I took my car back for the Shaker-500's CD player skipping (something that had a TSB issued about the problem, and what they needed to do)...we have to hear the player skip before replacing it (mine was an intermittant problem...some days it would skip several times, then it would be fine for several weeks)...

Why can't the service departments take our word that we have a problem and look for/fix the problem.
Old 1/14/06, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Mike McRann@January 14, 2006, 6:28 PM

Why can't the service departments take our word that we have a problem and look for/fix the problem.
My dealer took my word for my cd skipping. That surprised me, however, when I went there I produced a piece of paper with date/time recording every time the unit skipped, displayed Error or Bad Disc, spit the disc out and ended songs short. The paper I wrote contained most of the "issues words" used in the tsb 05-6-9 and I also used those words in the service workorder writeup. Even though I knew of the TSB I didn't mention it to them as I wanted to see if they could tell me what was wrong. After I explained the issues with the radio the service writer replied saying there was a tsb and he'd order a radio for me.
Basically I did the same for the strut popping tsb but without the paper. I knew of the tsb already from this site and I just used the exact "issues" words to explain the problem to them without mentioning the tsb. Again they mentioned they knew exactly what was wrong and they'd order parts in.

Good to here your car is fixed Darth Stang
Old 1/14/06, 08:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes Lime GT, I'm glad too, thanks for taking the time to read this post. I don't fault dealers for wanting to have the problem be present to fix it, but I keep getting conflicting stories on whether or not the new stang datalogs the errors. I was hoping they could just plug in and read. I'm sympathetic to the fact that every hour spent doing warranty work is time not spent charging 60+ bucks an hour, but service is as important as sales in my opinion. When I do get my SCTX2 I'll probably keep it in the car just to read codes!

I'm just happy to be on the road again!

-Darth