2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need feedback on Saleen 98mm airbox w/hard plastic intake tube.

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/14, 10:30 AM
SUPERCHARGED RED ROCKET ------------------Master-Moderator

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,780 Posts
Need feedback on Saleen 98mm airbox w/hard plastic intake tube.

Hey there everyone ! I happen to be running a Saleen series VI S/C on my 2006 GT which was installed with a C&L racer inlet tube and pipeline 101mm MAF..

The car was already installed with both the S/C and C&L intake when I purchased it, but since I've owned it, I've noticed a few clearance issues with the intake tube rubbing on both the top of the alternator and inner hood..

I was looking into replacing the C&L intake setup for the JLT series 3 which is supposedly designed to fit with a Saleen S/C and the stock hood, however after speaking with several other 05 and 06 owners, they provided some negative feedback concerning hood clearance issues they encountered with the JLT intake..

So after talking with several local tuners, I was recommended to look into running either the Steeda 90mm cold air intake with the stock Saleen rubber inlet tube or find a stock Saleen airbox lid which has a 98mm MAF housing built in along with their upgraded hard plastic inlet tube..

So my question is this.. If I decide to go with the Saleen airbox setup that I just described, will I notice any substantial power and airflow loss due to running an enclosed airbox which is considered as being restrictive when compared to running a cold air intake such as the Steeda 90mm CAI ?

If I do decide to go with the Saleen setup ? Bear in mind that I will be cutting out the bottom section of the stock airbox in order to increase airflow which hopefully will reduce the restrictions of running an enclosed airbox..

In addition, I'll most definitely be getting my car custom tuned regardless of which setup I decide to go with..

In the meantime, I'd be really grateful for any feedback and support in addressing my concerns..

Thanks in advance

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  52.2 KB
Old 10/2/14, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think your going to notice any difference except maybe sound. I assume you've got 4.0 or 3.8 pulley on it since I don't see a fuel pump upgrade in your sig so there should be plenty of air with the Saleen air box with the bottom cut out. Other option is a Saleen Extreme intake or a Techo intake but both are pretty hard to find nowadays.
Old 10/2/14, 04:39 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I was gonna say I use the Saleen Extreme air kit with the Extreme mass air sensor but is we now it is hard to find so I guess I'm no help.

I don't think I'd be looking to add any kind of closed air box if it were me.
Old 10/2/14, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tbar
I don't think your going to notice any difference except maybe sound. I assume you've got 4.0 or 3.8 pulley on it since I don't see a fuel pump upgrade in your sig so there should be plenty of air with the Saleen air box with the bottom cut out. Other option is a Saleen Extreme intake or a Techo intake but both are pretty hard to find nowadays.
I actually have the 3.6 pulley which provides approx 7.5 -8psi boost.. I also searched for the Saleen Ultimate/Extreme and TechCo intakes on e-bay, the Saleen forums and also checked with Brenspeed, JDM and 281 Motorsports and have pretty much come up empty trying to locate either one of them..

So my only other options are either the Steeda 90mm CAI with stock rubber inlet tube, JLT series 3 or Saleen airbox setup that I previously mentioned

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/2/14 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10/2/14, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I was gonna say I use the Saleen Extreme air kit with the Extreme mass air sensor but is we now it is hard to find so I guess I'm no help.

I don't think I'd be looking to add any kind of closed air box if it were me.
If your Saleen air kit has the 95mm MAF sensor that Brenspeed used to carry in stock ? I looked into that kit as well which is technically known as the Saleen Ultimate CAI.. However like you posted that kit is nearly impossible to find even used as its been out of production for nearly 3 years now..

The Saleen stock airbox was used on the S281 extreme and S302 models and were also included as part of the Saleen supercharger 475 and 550 HP upgrade kits which for some reason were referred to as Saleen Extreme air kits
Old 10/7/14, 02:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I have a jlt series 3 intake. Yes it did rub against my hood upon instillation.

I took off the rubber stripping on the top of it and used a dremmel to slowly take down the top of the heat shield until the hood would close with the rubber back on top of the heat shield.

Honestly I think if I wasn't still running the stock hood insulation it would have fit fine.