2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Need alignment after STB install?

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/16, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need alignment after STB install?

I'm going to install a Steeda STB, will have to remove the inner 2 nuts on each ST. It should be just an easy bolt on, but wouldn't removing the 2 inner nuts adjust the camber slightly? Or does nothing move unless you unbolt all 4 nuts? Will I need an adjustment? Suspension noob here, a lot of searches said you shouldn't need an alignment but I guess I'm looking for more details on why removing the 2 nuts "shouldn't" affect it?
Old 8/3/16, 05:14 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
No alignment issues from just removing the 2 nuts, assuming the other two are still tight.
Old 8/5/16, 08:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectreH
No alignment issues from just removing the 2 nuts, assuming the other two are still tight.

+1. When I installed mine, it didn't change the alignment. You're good to go.
Old 8/6/16, 01:35 PM

Got it on and torqued up to 26lb. The struts didn't move at all with the other two still tight. Thanks for the answers, still new to working on my own car. Now I need to clean up the engine bay, new materials make the old dirty parts stand out ha
Attached Thumbnails Need alignment after STB install?-stb_reduced085226.jpg  
Old 8/6/16, 07:59 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
I'm glad you got it on. The best way to learn is by doing things. I learned by watching/helping my dad from when I was a kid. If I have a task that I feel is beyond my experience, I have a good friend who is a mechanic who helps me out.
Old 8/7/16, 12:34 PM

Noticeably better handling when cornering hard! At least on my 7 year old suspension.. nuts to everyone that says STB's are just for looks like racing stripes haha. Can't wait to upgrade the rest of the suspension now
Old 8/8/16, 05:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackSunshine09
I'm going to install a Steeda STB, will have to remove the inner 2 nuts on each ST. It should be just an easy bolt on, but wouldn't removing the 2 inner nuts adjust the camber slightly? Or does nothing move unless you unbolt all 4 nuts? Will I need an adjustment? Suspension noob here, a lot of searches said you shouldn't need an alignment but I guess I'm looking for more details on why removing the 2 nuts "shouldn't" affect it?
Camber and caster are set on these cars and non-adjustable without modifying the suspension components.

There is not really that much flex between the strut towers anyways. If you want to improve handling, tires are the most important thing you can swap out and will yield you the best results. Springs, shocks/struts, and sway bars along with replacing all of the rubber bushings with either poly or spherical bushings will net you huge results. The strut brace is pretty much a gimmick. If you want it to perform you need to triangulate it with another point like the rear firewall. They look nice though, I had one for a while but dumped it when I decided to try and maximize weight transfer for launching.
Old 8/8/16, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BlackSunshine09
Noticeably better handling when cornering hard! At least on my 7 year old suspension.. nuts to everyone that says STB's are just for looks like racing stripes haha. Can't wait to upgrade the rest of the suspension now
Haha, I read this after I posted up on your original post. lol. Well if you think it helps, that's all that matters I guess. But trust me, with the right mods these cars can handle pretty well. Just don;t throw parts at it though. Come up with a plan and post it up, we can help steer you in the right direction.
Old 8/8/16, 09:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 07 Boss
Come up with a plan and post it up, we can help steer you in the right direction.
No pun intended!
Old 8/9/16, 04:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
No pun intended!
You caught that, huh?
Old 8/10/16, 05:40 AM

Yeah, I'm not throwing too many parts at it. It's my daily driver and it's a v6, so not trying to do a whole lot just make it more fun to drive on the street and replace some parts that are starting to wear out with higher quality. So far I've already done catback dual w/x-pipe, cai + tune and now the stb. Next on the list is struts, shocks, springs, c/c plates, front and rear LCA's, front and rear sway bars, and an adjustable panhard bar. Then next spring I'll be springing for UHP summer tires and a new set of rims and use the old set for winter. Once that's done, I'll probably start saving up for a GT which I wish I had purchased from the beginning. But gotta learn somehow haha

You guys are pretty cool, with all the help n all

Last edited by BlackSunshine09; 8/10/16 at 05:51 AM.