2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My review of the Mustang @ the LA innovation drive

Search this Thread

Old 9/3/04, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drove both the manual and the automatic, the shifter in the 5-speed is so much better than the current cars, it's smooth, the throws are short, and it's as precise as any car I've ever driven, absolutely loved it. The automatic shifts fast, the 5 speed seems to be a big improvemenmt over the 4 speed, and it kicks down quick without any lag that I noticed. The first tme around the course I just wanted to get a feel of the car, the 5 speed, and the course since it was over so quick so I took it easy. Second time around, I really flogged it, wanting to get an idea how good the car handles and how the automatic tranny works. As I came around the tight right just before the slalom section I floored it and it kicked down to first, I thought for sure I was going to clip a cone cause I was gaining speed fast, it didn't, it just went where I pointed the wheel and there was almost no body roll at all. Big thumbs up to the new suspension/chassis/weight balance..

Both cars seemed to have a soft spot getting off the line, I figure being hot lapped nonstop for 6 hours in the 110 degree heat was mostly to blame, add to that the AC being on plus traction control and that's likely the culprit. So I'm really anxious to go on a test drive once fall comes around so I can drive a car that's fresh, and make sure both the AC and the TC are OFF! I just hope the dealers will have a tester available..

I don't get the complaints about interior quality, the plastics seem to be a real step up from the current car, especially in the door panel/center console areas. My only interior complaints are the hard to read overly retro gauges and the small seat bolsters. The leather is about a thousand times better than the crap they currently use, so I think people will be really happy there. I'm not a big fan of leather interiors myself, but the stuff in the 05's is so nice I'd probably go with it instead of clothe. Big huge thumbs up there

The brakes felt great, really solid and powerful, didn't notice any brake dive either, I would have like to try a panic stop though to really test them out but I didn't want to freak the lady out riding with me..

The sound is great, to me it sounds like a Mustang with an aftermarket exhaust already installed, it's loud and mean sounding, just like it should be, I'm anxious to hear what they will sound like with a pair of Flowmasters out back!
The Yellow GT with the Black leather and IUP looked awesome, lowered with some 18's and it would be amazing.. Can't wait to see one like it..

Now my problem is I need to find 25k, I knew I shouldn't have even gone to this event cause now I feel like a crack ***** with no way to score any crack, I'm in love with the car but I'm a broke college student, hopefully that will change right around the time when the 07's roll out..

Old 9/3/04, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Black331@September 3, 2004, 5:36 AM
Now my problem is I need to find 25k,
Did you check the under the seat cushions on the couch??
Old 9/3/04, 06:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the review. glad you got to drive both cars...sounds like it was a blast.

B)
Old 9/3/04, 06:58 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice review... I am no longer tempted by any deals on 04's