2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My girlfriend loves me

Search this Thread

Old 6/13/05, 07:43 PM
COJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, I just thought you'd like to know how much my girlfriend kicks booty. I'm saving up for a new mustang for next year and ever since the '05 model came out, I can't go a day without talking about how much I want one. Well, my 25th birthday was this past friday and she surprised me by saying "I can't buy you a new car, but this is the next best thing." So she drives me up to the ford dealership and rents me one for the weekend of my birthday. I'm 25, so technically I can rent cars! Yeah, got a '05 V6 (they don't rent GTs) Legend Lime convertible!! Awesome, absolutely amazing. Sure it's Houston and it's hot, but who cares! Top went down immediately and drove off.

Anyways, I have to return it tomorrow unfortunately and go back to my wonderful '99 Corolla, but I wanted some of your guys' and girls' opinions. I'm really glad I had the chance to keep it for so long, this way I can get a better idea of what type of car it is. As much as I wanted the GT before, I finally realized how much gas it eats up, and I only drove the V6. I mean I think Ford put a gas dispenser button on this thing to just dump gas, sure it's the accelerator, but oh well. I planned on buying this as my daily driver since I would give the Corolla to my brother who needs it. So I would have to spend big $ on gas. Also, being 25 I'm afraid the insurance (despite going down some) will be quite high. Plus I'm applying to both med & nursing school, so I'm not sure if I should dish out this much $$ on the car and for driving it. Another thing is I'm not sure if I am fond of sporty suspensions, just the stiff ride, feeling every bump on the road. So I thought about just getting a regular sedan, like the new Jetta which starts @ $18k. We'll see. I do love the look and power of the car though, that is unmistakable. So I'm not sure what to do, just wanted opinions to save for the Mustang or go with a sedan that's a little more comfortable. Regardless I won't buy til end of this year or next year b/c I'm saving up so I have time. Thanks for the input! I'll try to get some pics of the car before I have to return her tomorrow :notnice:
Old 6/13/05, 07:54 PM
Cobra Member

Keep the Corolla and get a bicycle for your brother.

No, really. If you're worried about gas and insurance costs, I would advise against buying a Mustang, and especially against buying a GT. Glad you considered this before taking the plunge and that you learned how expensive it is to own and operate this car!

Funny thing is, I don't think the car is that bad on gas. I tend to drive conservatively (with occasional exceptions) and haven't really been put off by the cost of fuel. I only fill up once a week.

It sounds like your money may be better spent on school, for now at least! Good luck on whatever you decide. But in the meanwhile, enjoy driving the vert!
Old 6/13/05, 07:55 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
She's a keeper
Old 6/13/05, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

Marry her now! Trust me it doesn't get any better then that!
Old 6/13/05, 08:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

She sounds like a great g/f! Good luck on your car decision.
Old 6/13/05, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by COJ@June 13, 2005, 9:46 PM
Hey guys, I just thought you'd like to know how much my girlfriend kicks booty. I'm saving up for a new mustang for next year and ever since the '05 model came out, ...... :notnice:

Don't give up. I'm in the same boat, 1998 Corolla will go up for sale sometime this year or next. Currently saving up for a 2006 Mustang. Struck a deal with my better half... we'll get a trailer tent and pay off the mini-van. Mini-van pay off must take place before the Mustang hits the driveway. Only 18 months left, try to get it done in 12 months. Through her point of view, I'm saving up to pay off the mini-van. Outside of these conditions, she is quite understanding and encouraging. My neighbor, independent of me, told her he wanted a Mustang too. That'll be great, two driveways, two Mustangs.

Good luck!
Old 6/13/05, 08:51 PM
V6 Member

Great girl. I Bought mine cuz of my girlfriend who advised me to get the stick even though i never had driven one before. I;m glad I did. I have a V6 and love it. Sure I wanted the GT but they didn;t have the color I wanted, and even then it would have been a long wait. I went for the 6 and love it. Still lots of power and what an attention getter! Seeing these guys talk about milage and insurance costs I am glad now. Still eventually I will get a GT, but for now the V6 is still a great car for the money.
Don't get a Jetta, everyone I ever knew that had one had lots of minor troubles. They were always in the shop.
The others worth looking in to in this category IMO are the Tiburon, base 350 Z, V6 Accord, and Eclipse. If price is an issue probably the Tiburon. But you will be wishing you went with the Stang!
Old 6/13/05, 08:56 PM
GT Member

First, marry the girl now. Second, if you get in nursing school go for the mustang. If you get in med school and then on to residency you probably will barely be able to afford bicycle payments, the salary is horrible relative to the work load. However, thats what wives are for, and you can both enjoy the mustang. Good luck getting in to school.
Old 6/13/05, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 6/13/05, 10:43 PM
COJ

Keeping the girlfriend is a no brainer of course. I already have the engagement plan worked out even though it won't happen for a little bit. Speaking of that, that's ANOTHER thing I have to save up for! But I'm pretty much almost there so that's good. Yeah, buying cars, if only it were so simple. I appreciate the input though, always happy for more!
Old 6/14/05, 11:05 AM
Bullitt Member

If you're thinking about going to school, keep the Corolla. You will be much happier being able to dedicate time to school and not having to worry about making car, insurance payments and gas costs. When you graduate, treat yourself then.

I drove old cars through high school and college, mostly because I had to pay for my college and thats all I could afford. I got lucky out of college and got a real good job (after a year of searching) and even then it took me a year until I could afford my first new car.
Old 6/14/05, 11:09 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, you got it made. Keep her for life.
Old 6/14/05, 02:19 PM

COJ!!!

Our situations seem quite similiar. The only difference is, I have graduated college and am seeking full time work now. I am also saving for an 06 (it will be easier once I get hired somewhere haha) and I'm also 25, and I also have an awesome supportive girlfriend. We have engagement plans too, but gotta get the job and the gt first (she knows I gotta get my car first ).

I can totally dig the time period you are in, and hey your lucky you got a 99 corolla, I have an 88 dodge daytona! Imagine how much I can't wait until I can get the mustang.

In the mean time make the investment in yourself (school) and it will pay dividends (mustang gt) later.

Don't be a stranger man, our situations are pretty simiiliar! Send me a pm sometime!

-Mike
Old 6/14/05, 02:44 PM
V6 Member

I just (today) finished my surgical residency (long 5 years) and agree with those above. Drive the car you have until it dies. It will make thru 4 yrs of med school and then hopefully residency. Thats what i did with mine. It was at the point 2 months ago that I would either need to put 1500 or so towards a tranny or get a new car. I just figured it was time to go for it. Plus in about a month I will be making 3-4 times what i did in residency so i could afford payments. I will probably pay it off quickly even with making my school loan payments. Then get the GT in 2-3 years. But the others are right. It is nice not to have a car payment thru school and residency.

Good luck
Old 6/14/05, 02:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Just think though if you make it into medical school, in five years or so you'll be able to afford a saleen or roush or whatever you want and not have to worry about insurance cost or gas. I say keep the corolla or go with a base v6 if you MUST have one!
Old 6/14/05, 08:43 PM
COJ

I appreciate the input guys. I do agree that going through school and making payments will stink pretty badly. I would rather not use my student loans to pay off my car. In regards to settling for a V6 or something, I figure I'll just keep saving up for whichever car I really want, instead of settling for something else.

Mikemac, I hear ya man, we're pretty much in the same situation. I'm actually working and make decent money, it's just that I'm paying for school right now, (I'm just taking extra classes to boost my gpa for when I apply) and that's a drain on the budget, but I still put aside as much $$$ every month. But that $$ goes to both car funds and engagement ring funds :bang: and Gabriel05, congrats on finishing your residency, I can only imagine how rough it was and how little you got paid for all those hours. Looks like it'll be the best thing to hold onto this Corolla for a little longer, drive it into the ground and then when I HAVE to, invest in that new car. It wouldn't help if I bought a used Mustang or anything to "hold me over" b/c that's pretty much $ lost. You guys are great, thanks for the input.
Old 6/14/05, 09:11 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by gabriel05@June 14, 2005, 2:47 PM
I just (today) finished my surgical residency (long 5 years) and agree with those above. Drive the car you have until it dies. It will make thru 4 yrs of med school and then hopefully residency. Thats what i did with mine. It was at the point 2 months ago that I would either need to put 1500 or so towards a tranny or get a new car. I just figured it was time to go for it. Plus in about a month I will be making 3-4 times what i did in residency so i could afford payments. I will probably pay it off quickly even with making my school loan payments. Then get the GT in 2-3 years. But the others are right. It is nice not to have a car payment thru school and residency.

Good luck
Congratulations on finishing surgery residency, i just passed my oral boards and have another year left in fellowship

Good luck!
Old 6/14/05, 09:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by COJ@June 14, 2005, 8:46 PM
I appreciate the input guys. I do agree that going through school and making payments will stink pretty badly. I would rather not use my student loans to pay off my car. In regards to settling for a V6 or something, I figure I'll just keep saving up for whichever car I really want, instead of settling for something else.

Mikemac, I hear ya man, we're pretty much in the same situation. I'm actually working and make decent money, it's just that I'm paying for school right now, (I'm just taking extra classes to boost my gpa for when I apply) and that's a drain on the budget, but I still put aside as much $$$ every month. But that $$ goes to both car funds and engagement ring funds :bang: and Gabriel05, congrats on finishing your residency, I can only imagine how rough it was and how little you got paid for all those hours. Looks like it'll be the best thing to hold onto this Corolla for a little longer, drive it into the ground and then when I HAVE to, invest in that new car. It wouldn't help if I bought a used Mustang or anything to "hold me over" b/c that's pretty much $ lost. You guys are great, thanks for the input.
Take out the extra loans and buy the mustang it will keep you happy through the misery of med school and residency.
Keep deferring the loans until you have enough money to comfortably pay them off after residency.
you only live once and you don't look back on life and say that you squandered your youth.
when i was 25 I was just starting surgery residency in new york before the 80 hour workweek laws and had 100-120 workweeks and no car. I have no regrets but if i was in the suburbs i probably would have gone insane driving my old beater toyota tercel with 170,000 miles on it which was my last car.

sorry to rant but life is too short to worry about the financial consequences of your actions especially if you get into med school and have guaranteed income 7 years down the road(4 years of med school plus 3 years of residency minimum.)
Old 6/14/05, 09:51 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting engaged is such a financial waste

It was the worst 7 grand i ever spent
Old 6/14/05, 10:32 PM
V6 Member

some good points there. It was nice not to have a payment during school. Saying that, if you want or need a car go for it. The loans will actually be able to paid off quickly once you have a real job. A few thousand is not really going to change much in the grand scheme of things. You can't delay gratification forever.

Quick Reply: My girlfriend loves me