Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007

Search this Thread

Old 11/18/07, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007

Warning: Long post. Read at your own risk.

Got to the track at 6:45 am. It was 40 degrees at most, and windy. The first car I saw in the paddock was a WRX STi that was on a trailer. Several other cars were driven in towing small trailers that carried their racing tires. I pulled up behind a Mazda RX8, which was jacked up on one side and the owner was swapping the street tires for slicks. Pretty much everyone was working on their cars.

Registration was 7:00 to 8:00, and Tech Inspection was 7:10 to 8:10. The only things I had to do were to put numbers on the doors and take all the loose items out of the car. Before I got started, the guy who got me into this in the first place came over and invited me to park next to him and claim that spot on the paddock. It is nice to know someone at an event, so I was glad that he came over and got me. My buddy has a modified Mazda Miata with a tow-behind trailer carrying slicks and a good-sized plastic toolbox full of tools and equipment. The Mazda Miata was easily the most common car at this event - I'm guessing there were 100 cars there, and around 15 or 20 were Miatas. There were also a few exotics present, including an Audi R8 (420 horsepower mid-engine $120K), and an Ariel Atom (open-wheel, 300 horsepower, 1300 lbs).

Being signed up in the Showroom Stock GT (SSGT) class, the only prep I had to do was to put numbers on the doors and remove the loose items from the interior and trunk. I read another forum where someone suggested using magnetic vinyl material found at Lowe's in the heating/ductwork section, and taping numbers to that. So, before the event, I bought this material and taped some numbers to it, and now all I had to do was to stick the sheets to each door. (This didn't really work - more on that later). I removed everything from the interior and trunk, including the garage door opener and owner's manual, and put them in a duffel bag, which just stayed in my spot on the paddock all day. Then I pulled into the Tech Inspection line, opened the trunk and hood, and showed the inspector my helmet (minimum requirement Snell M2005). The car passed inspection, so I drove it back into its spot on the paddock, and registered for the event.

At 8:10 am, I met my instructor. At 8:15 outside under the control tower, there was a meeting for all drivers. This was basic information, much like what a flight attendant does prior to takeoff, with a track official demonstrating the various flags and explaining other important track rules. At 8:40 am, the first classroom session started for all student drivers. This session lasted about 30 minutes, and basically was a rehash of the flag demonstration, and instruction on giving hand signals for point-by passing and pitting. The most important thing the instructor said is that the club is all about safety, and the number 1 goal for everyone should be to go home with the car still shiny, and have fun. There was an hour before our first track session, so I used the break to grab some breakfast.

When the order "Group 4 to the Grid" was announced over the PA system, the cold and wind seemed to just disappear as the adrenaline started flowing. My instructor suggested he drive the first three laps, as that would be the fastest way for me to learn the line. I had explained to him in our first conversation that I was really super excited about this, but also quite nervous too. He said there was nothing to worry about - he would drive his laps slow, like a fast highway drive, and I would just take over like that, and progress at whatever pace I could handle.

There were about 15 cars in Group 4. We put our helmets on, got in the car, and the instructor drove from the paddock to the pit, getting in line middle of the pack. While waiting in the queue, the instructor told me that he wasn't saying this as bragging, but just wanted to let me know that he knew what he was doing, and he said that he had done hundreds of laps at this track, and had done a 59-second lap with a modified street car. The starter signaled us to enter the track, and the flagman in the control tower was waving the green flag.

The Lime Rock Park track is a 1.53 mile, 8-turn road course featuring significant elevation changes, but in reality it is much like an oval because all the turns except one are right-handers. For this event, bright orange cones were placed outside each turn, showing the proper turn-in and track-out points. The first lap was on cold tires and a cold track, so the instructor took it relatively slow, while demonstrating the proper line and how to hit the turn-in and track-out points properly. Even at this slowest speed, however, he was already turning MUCH sharper and harder than normal street driving. Before we finished the first lap, the flaggers were displaying the black flag for the field, and we all had to pull in the pits. After several minutes, a track worker stopped by our car to let us know that there was a track incident, where an AC Cobra kit car had crashed into the guard rail (see picture below). We would have to wait while he was towed off the track. All I could think of was here was a guy who prepared for the event, trailered the Cobra who knows how many miles to the track, and then doesn't even get a complete lap for his trouble. I saw the car afterward, and both front fenders were ripped right off, the radiator was mangled, and there was a lot of grass and dirt in the suspension and wheels. Ouch!

Within 5 minutes, we were back on track for lap 2 of the first session. The next two laps went without incident, with the instructor again demonstrating the line and how to follow it smoothly. Each lap was quite a bit faster than the previous lap, and by now he was introducing throttle oversteer in the turns and the tires were making some noise. Woohoo!

After lap 3, he pulled into the pits as promised, and it was my turn. We made sure the track was clear at the pit exit and I was off. My first feeling was sensory overload - there's just a ton of stuff to observe and think about, all while driving harder than I've ever driven in my life. It took quite a bit of discipline to use the full track and hit the turn-in and track-out points, because years of street driving have instilled a more conservative approach, where the tendency is to stay closer to the center of the road. Very quickly, however, my instructor took charge, and actually pushed the wheel toward the track-out point when I was leaving the apex of the Left Hander, while telling me to apply full throttle. Sure enough, the rear tires broke loose just enough to counteract the front-end push and the car seemed to plant in a controlled mini-drift and we had great exit speed for the Esses and No Name Straight. The Mustang's torque really shines on this uphill straight, and I was soon hitting the rev limiter in 3rd gear, and shifting into 4th for a bit before braking and downshifting for the next turn. I didn't look at the speedo, but my car has the 3.55 rear axle so I was over 100 mph there.

The last turn before the main straight is a diving right-hander, and again my inclination was to try and baby it rather than use the full track. Again, the instructor pushed the wheel toward the track-out cone and had me apply full throttle, and like the left-hander, the car dug right in and we had plenty of speed on exit for the straight. I learned the rhythm of the track fairly quickly and the instructor was telling me which turns I did well on, and when I was off line. Each track session is 20 minutes, so after the Cobra incident black flag and the instructor's laps, I got about 10 laps myself in this first session. I felt pretty good about it - no glaring mistakes, no incidents, and I was learning to use throttle oversteer and be in control at the same time. No one passed me during the session, and I was able to pass a black Infiniti G35 after I caught him and he waved me by. Awesome!

Immediately after the first session was another classroom session. After verifying that we all got through the first session safely, the first question asked was "Did anyone notice where the flag stations were?" To be honest, I could only positively say where three of them were, and I think there were seven total. Like I said before, there is so much to observe and think about just to stay on the track, that I'm not sure anyone will notice everything that's going on. The instructor stressed that we make an effort to look for all the flag stations during the next track session, and in fact he urged us to wave at the flagmen. The rest of the classroom session was questions and answers after we had gotten one track session under our belts.

There was a 90 minute break at this point, so it was time for lunch. Before heading for lunch, I noticed that the vinyl magnetic numbers stuck on my doors had already blown off. So much for that idea. :-) No biggie - I just did what many other people did, and taped numbers directly on the doors. I applied some Meguiar's NXT wax to the doors and let it dry to a haze. The wax protects the clearcoat from the adhesive and makes removing the tape a lot easier. Then I used strips of black Frost King electrical tape for the numbers.

After lunch was track session #2. I was driving hard right away, applying the techniques I had learned in the first session, and my instructor had to remind me to ease into it on the first lap until the tires were warmed up. After a couple laps, I caught and passed the Infiniti again. This made me a bit overconfident, perhaps, as I was a bit too hot into a couple turns following this, and missed the correct line. I wasn't in the turns so hot that I was in trouble, but my instructor said that I should concentrate on smoothness and hitting the cone markers, and the speed would come by itself. It was the correct advice, of course, but I was still confident because I had easily recovered from the mistakes.

Shortly after passing the G35, I hit the turn-in and track-out markers pretty well on the diving turn before the long front straight and got a nice run. This straight is really the only spot on the track where you can exhale and relax for a few seconds, and I was able to glance at the speedo and see that I was approaching 120 mph at the Start/Finish line. I was still pushing it between the start/finish and the braking point for Turn 1, while the instructor was telling me to get on the brakes. I did get on them, and pretty hard I thought, but still came into Turn 1 way too hot, and was still braking and downshifting while I was already in the turn. It wasn't bad enough that I was close to going off track, but I did lose a ton of speed and was unable to get back on line before Turn 2. At this point, a Mazda3 had closed on me and was sticking to me going through the Left Hander and the Esses. I pulled away from him on the uphill No Name Straight, but after the next couple of turns, he was back on me again, and it was clear that he was faster in the corners. I had to give him the point-by and let him pass on the back straight under the bridge, and by the time we got back to the front stretch he was far enough ahead that I couldn't catch him, even with the big horsepower advantage. That was a humbling experience.

With a couple laps left in the session, it started to snow! Within one lap, the track was getting wet. The instructor warned me that conditions would become unpredictable with the cold temperature and the track wet in spots, and that I should be especially smooth while turning, accelerating, and braking. Going around Turn 2, I was behind the Ariel Atom. This guy got through the turn, but on exit he got on the gas too much and spun in the middle of the track. Luckily, I was able to stop before hitting him, and then I simply went around him, and finished the lap pretty slowly. The checkered flag was out, and we pitted.

The snow was coming down hard after getting back to the paddock, and the track was completely wet now. The temperature was above freezing, so it wasn't icy, but it was still bad enough that the officials closed the track temporarily. I found the guy with the Mazda3 who had passed me, and he thanked me for letting him by. This was his fourth track day, so I was not surprised that he was more consistent than me, but I was surprised that a Mazda3 could handle like that.

After about 30 minutes, the snow stopped and the track was re-opened. It was still wet in a lot of spots, but driver groups were going out nonetheless. When my group was called, I wasn't sure I wanted to go back out. My instructor said it was up to me, but it was obvious we were going to have to drive a lot slower than if we had a dry track, and that it could be hairy in spots. I decided to call it a day at that point, and not go back out. I think it turned out to be the right choice. During the session, a guy with a 2006 Evo found a wet spot on the diving turn, spun, and glanced off the guard rail, damaging his rear quarter badly enough that the trunk popped open and would no longer close. He was parked behind me on the paddock all day, so I talked to him after his wreck and offered my "condolences." :-) He was shocked actually - he thought that was a dry area on the track, but it wasn't and it bit him. This was his seventh event with the car, and he was understandably bummed about the damage.

There was a final classroom session at 3:15 pm. This session actually included some basics on racing physics, where the instructor talked about slip angles, oversteer, understeer, throttle oversteer, trail braking, and heel-and-toe techniques. It was very basic and really just an overview of those topics, although he did encourage questions and was willing to give in-depth answers.

At 4:00 pm my day was over. My instructor had already left, so I was unable to go out for the last track session, which was fine with me, since the track was still not completely dry. I said my goodbyes to some of the people I had met during the day, and that was it.

The Mustang acquitted herself with aplomb on the track! Completely stock, except for a Hurst short shifter, she felt like a race car out there. With the windows fully open, she sounded like a race car too, especially at WOT in 3rd gear as the engine approached the redline. The Lime Rock track is really fast, with only Turn 1 requiring heavy braking, so the stock brakes are actually quite adequate here. She also is quite easy to drive fast, as the slight understeering condition is easily counteracted with throttle oversteer correction. In other words, full throttle at turn-in makes her rear end step out a bit, but she quickly straightens out into a neutral 4-wheel drift before sticking solidly at the track-out point. This is real scary fun, especially at a high-speed turn like the Lime Rock diving turn, which I was entering near the redline in 3rd gear, so probably around 90 mph.

Pictures:

1) Here's me during the first track session, after the numbers had blown off. :-) The three stripes on the rear quarter indicate that I am a novice without a solo competition license.

2) The AC Cobra that wrecked before completing a single lap.

3) The Ariel Atom open wheel car.

4) The Mazda3 who whipped me. :-)

5) The Evo that spun on a wet spot and wrecked (my car is noticeable in the background).
Attached Thumbnails My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-_mg_9523.jpg   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-_mg_9430.jpg   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-dscn0044a.jpg   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-dscn0046a.jpg   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-dscn0049a.jpg  

Old 11/18/07, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on your experience and welcome to the world of open-track driving. I would have 2 suggestions:

1) Get some Hawk pads, stainless steel brake lines, and change the fluid to DOT 4 (it has a higher boiling point). Your stock brakes aren't going to cut it. I have all those mods on my car, plus the Quantum Motorsports brake cooling kit, and I've had no brake issues. The stock rotors will work fine.

2) Check this site out for numbers. I'm using the reusable vinyl on mine and they work great.
http://206.188.197.45/index.asp?Page...TS&Category=93
The numbers are my car are 12", IIRC, and I would probably go with 8" if I had to do it over again. They're kinda big.

Old 11/18/07, 06:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
My bride and I had the pleasure of autocrossing our Mustang at Lime Rock about 18 months ago. We were there as part of the Skip Barber school. We were on the autocross courses, not the road course, but I remember that first turn after the start/finish line; I believe that's a pretty tight constant radius 180, if I remember correctly. I saw someone "retire" one of the Skip Barber open wheel cars in that turn. Fortunately, the driver was uninjured.

Isn't that a terrific experience? We really had an incredible two days at Lime Rock, including driving the Skip Barber Vipers. Definitely a hoot to hang the tail out with one of those beasts!
Old 11/18/07, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

And another one has been bitten by the track bug! So much fun and so addictive! Lime Rock looks like a great track.

I'll second the recommendation for the Solotime reuseable numbers. They stay put to 130+, don't budge the entire weekend, but peel off without leaving any residue. A little pricey, but well worth it for the lack of hassle. I went with the 10" numbers on the doors (required size for NASA events) and an 8" on the hood.

And I'll also second the recommendation for ducts, upgraded pads, lines and fluid. It sounds like the weather wasn't ideal for pushing it, but once it starts warming up again you will quickly get beyond the limits of the stock brake setup. No need to jump to a big brake kit, but the above mods will become necessary. I've had good luck with the EBC Yellowstuff pads.
Attached Images  
Old 11/18/07, 08:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Going for my last HPDE of the season over Thanksgiving weekend!

+1 on the recommendation for brake mods! EBC Yellowstuff pads here, SS lines and DOT4 fluid!
Attached Thumbnails My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-pir1.png  
Old 11/19/07, 07:42 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I want to build a car, strictly for road racing, it would be an absolute blast.
Old 11/19/07, 11:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the brake upgrade and number suggestions! Next season I will upgrade to Hawk or other pads. I'm also thinking about the FRPP handling kit to be honest. Racing tires would be nice too!

But I just wanted to point out that it is possible to attend one of these events with a totally stock car, just to get your feet wet. At least that's true at Lime Rock, with only one heavy braking area.
Old 11/19/07, 01:18 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by wjones14
Thanks for the brake upgrade and number suggestions! Next season I will upgrade to Hawk or other pads. I'm also thinking about the FRPP handling kit to be honest. Racing tires would be nice too!

But I just wanted to point out that it is possible to attend one of these events with a totally stock car, just to get your feet wet. At least that's true at Lime Rock, with only one heavy braking area.
I've had the FRPP Handling kit installed on my car since the day it was delivered--it is incredibly confident on the road course, w/ minimal body roll--it's surprised quite a few people, so I got a custom plate just for that

Here's a pictoral demonstration of two other S197s on the course that day w/ stock suspensions, vs my car w/ the FRPP kit.
This is a 80-90mph turn-in to the infield after the braking zone at the end of the back straight at PIR. Notice anything different?
Attached Thumbnails My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-durka1.png   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-durka2.png   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-pir1.png   My first HPDE experience: Lime Rock 11-16-2007-dsc04490.jpg  
Old 11/19/07, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Excellent write up on your first HPDE.

I've been taking my V6 Pony to the track here in Seattle. I'm actually the Chief Safety Inspector for our clud, so I get to see what everyone is running that day. And excellent advise on the brake upgrades. That is the most cost effective way to upgrade your brake system. One thing that will be cool for us in a few months will be the availability of the carbon mettalic Bullitt brake pads from Ford Parts. It will be a one stop parts stop for me. A couple cans of SVT Focus Dot 4 fluid and then the Bullitt brake pads.

We do things a little different for our beginners. We have them take two skills classes before we ever let them out on the track. That way they aren't that surprised or overwhelmed on their first track outing.

Sounds like you had a great time!

One bit of advice for you on photos. Don't ever take photos of, or publish photos of any street vehicles that get into wrecks. Especially if they have normal insurance. I've heard of several occasions where the Insurance company found photo evidence that the wrecked car was on the track and denyed any claim, even though it was considered a driver training school. So be very mindful. Have fun!
Old 11/19/07, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony

One bit of advice for you on photos. Don't ever take photos of, or publish photos of any street vehicles that get into wrecks. Especially if they have normal insurance. I've heard of several occasions where the Insurance company found photo evidence that the wrecked car was on the track and denyed any claim, even though it was considered a driver training school. So be very mindful. Have fun!
That's a good point--could cause the driver a lot of trouble!
Old 11/19/07, 05:07 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Thanks for the nice report.

Don't know if it was the cause of the problems those other drivers had, but high performance and racing tires can be deadly at 40 degree (& lower) temps. At cold temps those tires not only have very poor grip but can have an incredibly rapid transition from grip to gone.
Old 11/19/07, 06:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by wjones14
After the brakes the FRPP kit would be a great upgrade, although I would recommend the Tokico adjustables to keep it a bit more compliant on the street.

Originally Posted by 06GT
Notice anything different?
Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep dem Mustangs rollin'!

Originally Posted by Little Black Pony
One bit of advice for you on photos. Don't ever take photos of, or publish photos of any street vehicles that get into wrecks. Especially if they have normal insurance. I've heard of several occasions where the Insurance company found photo evidence that the wrecked car was on the track and denyed any claim, even though it was considered a driver training school.
My SOP at the track is plates off. Takes a minute, but is good, er, insurance against any overzealous insurance companies (it also reveals my tow points).