2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My first DRIVE...an objective overview

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/04, 10:40 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, I would like you to know that I DO have a Mustang GT on order which is due in early December, but today was my first time DRIVING this new machine. I have had previous Mustang GTs, in the 5.0 flavor, and have had numerous other sports cars, the best ones being a 93RX7 and a 1985 Carrera Targa for different reasons. The reason for THIS Mustang was to give me my adreneline rush in pure pulling power, while also being less flashy and much more affordable-I wasn't looking for a car that would have the handling and engineering of the German and Japanese models referenced above, rather, just a car with brute force, loud noises from engine/exhaust, and that kind of beastly driving character that my previous Mustangs possessed. My first drive proved me to be VERY WRONG in my assumptions of the all-new Mustang GT...
The car was a Torch Red/Charcoal Premium w/ IUP, Shaker1000,5-speed, and Standard 17" wheels. My salesman handed me the keys and said, "Have fun...let me know how you like the tires, because I'm not too sure how they work on this car." I replied,"No problem, I'm kinda interested myself as they seem a little shy of what would be required on a car like this." My impression of the outside was basically the same, I had seen them in person already and thought the styling was very attractive without looking too flashy a-la Porsche. I will say that the car was parked next to a V6 without the spoiler so I got a good look at the rear, with and without spoiler, and I have concluded that this car looks better WITH the spoiler. As I entered the car I was greeted by beautifully tailored seats and a flashy dash, this was not my Dad's 64 1/2! No problems with the interior, it did NOT look cheap and to save alot of writing time: I'm 5'7" and I fit perfectly with a good view and a good grip on the wheel and stick-no Knuckle-Bustin' on shifts whatsoever!!! Everything was ergonomically correct and easy to function, including the "My Color" which I could care less about anyway. So I fired up this beast and proceeded on my first drive....
The car started and idled smoothly, no shaking or vibrations present. I drove gingerly as the car was warming up and enjoyed the rather sedate shifting of the new 5-speed shifter. I didn't FEEL any power under my right foot waiting to be unleashed, it just kind of felt like a normal car and it felt HEAVY. I wasn't expecting this, I figured it would feel nimble and ready to prance at the drop of a dime. No problem, this is going to be my daily driver anyway so the unexpected proved pleasant. I listened to music on the Shaker1000 while I waited for the 4.6 to warm-up. Sounds really good and absolutely sounds BETTER when you turn the volume up! This system begs to be blaring. You need a good stereo in this car because it is SEDATE without it, unlike others have suggested, the engine and exhaust are just not that exciting sounding to me. I think the magazines and message boards have spoiled the experience for me because my expectations were SOOOO HIGH! I half expected the car to sound like a track racer, but I have heard Sedans with a throatier exhaust note and a better engine growl at these lower speeds. Well now that the engine is warm it is time to see what she can do!!!
I punched it in second to redline and shifted to 3rd in a blink of an eye...feels pretty quick but not "Holy $hit" quick. Again, it felt sedate compared to other cars I've owned, including the 88 Mustang GT Conv. I used to have. I was alittle disappointed since I know this car is quicker than ALL of them. So I did some standing start runs through 3rd gear: Fast-YES, Chirped 2nd-YES, chirped 3rd-a little, Impressed- a little. I can remember the first time I drove my 93 RX7 and I was almost freightend at the power that thing possessed-this was not the case with the new Mustang GT. I blame the magazines, you all, and my now more experience with fast cars for this. My expectations were just entirely TOO HIGH! Low 5's from 0-60 is FAST, I know this, faster than probably everthing I've ever owned, but my adreneline was on "slow-release" with this car. Not a real big deal, this was the same thing with my 85 Carrera-0-60 in 6.1 seconds didn't feel that exciting to me in THAT car. I was done with the accelerating test and moved on to the handling.
I took it to a road that has alot of S's and horse-shoes that I used to drive my 911 on that where fairly safe from people and other motorists. These turns can be taken at speeds from about 40mph-75mph on exit. Finally, the beast was unleashed !!! I cannot express my delight in the way this car composes itself in the turns. Turn-in is crisp with everything you need after sitting under your right foot! This car can transfer its' weight with the best of them and I felt and WAS in total control at speeds ABOVE what my 911 could handle. PURE ADRENELINE RUSH OVERLOAD . I must be from a different planet after reading the reviews on this car and experiencing it the way I did, there's just no way we were driving the same car! It makes me wonder if people are writing to their target audience instead of giving them the truth. I have training in performance driving through D.E.'s and Autocross and would recommend to anyone with a new 05 Mustang GT to get out there and LEARN what this car can actually do!
I am very excited about the arrival of my new MustangGT, only now it is for different reasons. So what did I tell the salesman about the tires when I dropped the car off....."they work just fine as they are-leave 'em on mine, I won't be needing a swap!" Handed him the keys and went on my merry way
Old 11/19/04, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

wow...i can't believe i just read all that!
Old 11/19/04, 02:05 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So did you like the car? It seems like you did I think.......
Old 11/19/04, 02:09 PM
Bullitt Member

I`m wondering if the lack of the "rush" is because the car is so smooth. Like you said 0-60 in the 5`s is fast. I`m glad to hear that the car is a great handler. I think that is something that gets overlooked.
Old 11/19/04, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I am so glad I have had experience with the 4.6 powerplant, because going from a slightly modded 5.0, some people will be unimpressed with the smoothness of the 4.6 3V. However quicker, the 4.6 has never been a neck snapper.
-Jason
Old 11/19/04, 09:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe the "seat of the pants" feel will improve once the engines have been broken in more. When I first took home the Mach, the pull under 3500 RPMs felt weaker than the '00 GT I had traded. After 2000 miles, the car seemed stronger.

The chassis stiffness probably contributes some to the smooth feeling.
Old 11/19/04, 09:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

So you took out a new car, ran her hard - to redline - shifted hard, chirped the tires, and then took it back to the dealership after all your abuse so the car could be sold to someone else? Driving it HARD with no intention of even buying it, only to write a report or decide if the tires on YOUR incoming car needed replaced?

Hmm.... :scratch:

No flames, per se, but I do think you should let the guy who buys the car you just flogged do the same in yours when it comes in. I definitely would NOT want to buy a car YOU test drove and ran that hard.

Apparently you've never heard of why they recommend break in periods before you flog a brand new car like that?

:notnice:
Old 11/19/04, 10:27 PM
V6 Member

"I half expected the car to sound like a track racer, but I have heard Sedans with a throatier exhaust note and a better engine growl at these lower speeds."

Didn't Ford do a lot of work on the exhaust to make it subtle at low RPM and un-holy at WOT? I like the idea of a note that sneaks up on you when you get into it!! It also helps with daily driving not to have an exhaust drone at freeway speeds.

Nice review
Old 11/19/04, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Steve@November 19, 2004, 8:51 PM
So you took out a new car, ran her hard - to redline - shifted hard, chirped the tires, and then took it back to the dealership after all your abuse so the car could be sold to someone else? Driving it HARD with no intention of even buying it, only to write a report or decide if the tires on YOUR incoming car needed replaced?

No flames, per se, but I do think you should let the guy who buys the car you just flogged do the same in yours when it comes in. I definitely would NOT want to buy a car YOU test drove and ran that hard.

Apparently you've never heard of why they recommend break in periods before you flog a brand new car like that?

That's what I thought when I read this 'Review'. :angry: I remember another 'drive review' of one of the members, and I recall him specifically saying that he did not run the car hard (out of respect). Everybody needs to keep in mind that this is somebody else's car if you don't intend on buying it.....Treat it that way. B)
Old 11/20/04, 07:33 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Steve+November 19, 2004, 10:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Steve @ November 19, 2004, 10:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> So you took out a new car, ran her hard - to redline - shifted hard, chirped the tires, and then took it back to the dealership after all your abuse so the car could be sold to someone else? Driving it HARD with no intention of even buying it, only to write a report or decide if the tires on YOUR incoming car needed replaced?

:notnice: [/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Steve
@November 19, 2004, 10:51 PM

[/quote]
I sure did...and if he was smart, he would realize that I was probably NOT THE FIRST to do that to this particular car! You see, all of my driving amounted to a little less than 5 miles....the odometer had 101 miles on it when I got in. Give me a break about "respect", I didn't do any burn-outs and I at least waited for the engine to warm-up! You people are crazy if you think a "new" mustang with like 50 miles has not been run hard....jeez, the sales guy that took that car from me in the parking lot , gunned it and practically chirped the tires: He was only driving about 50 feet away with the new owner watching. Get a grip guys, there will always be the "test-mules" for us to work over, just make sure you don't buy one
Old 11/20/04, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I think the lack of acceleration "adrenaline" is one of the facets we have all talked about before. This Mustang is so well-mannered compared to its ancestors that it feels slower than it actually is.

I remember when my bride and I tested a V6. I headed for one of my favorite twisty on-ramps. I thought I was doing about 50 at the top of the ramp, looked down and discovered I was doing over 70.

Acceleration in these new Mustangs can be a little deceiving. Much faster than they "feel".
Old 11/20/04, 10:32 AM
GT Member

:scratch: YOU ORDERED AN 05 GT WITHOUT TEST DRIVING ONE? HMMM...INTERESTING.

:scratch: YOUVE HEARD "SEDANS" WITH THROATIER EXHAUST.........HMMMM.....INTERESTING.

DO YOU STILL HAVE PLANS TO TAKE DELIVERY OF YOUR 05 STANG?

CAN YOU SUPPLY US WITH THE LIST OF SEDANS YOU ARE REFERRING TOO?

JUST CURIOUS
Old 11/20/04, 11:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by sonic98gt@November 19, 2004, 11:30 PM
"I half expected the car to sound like a track racer, but I have heard Sedans with a throatier exhaust note and a better engine growl at these lower speeds."

Didn't Ford do a lot of work on the exhaust to make it subtle at low RPM and un-holy at WOT? I like the idea of a note that sneaks up on you when you get into it!! It also helps with daily driving not to have an exhaust drone at freeway speeds.

Nice review
I think Ford did a great job. If you have ever ridden in the back of an old Diesel Volkswagen Vanagon, or in a HMMWV for long periods of time, believe me, you get out half deaf and wanting to kill the next person you see. I did almost 9 hours in this car the day I got it, and considering the conditions (new car, driving rain, heavy traffic) it was as pleasant as could be expected.

Love that change in character brought about by a simple twitch of the right foot. B)
Old 11/20/04, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Paris MkVI@November 20, 2004, 11:14 AM
I think the lack of acceleration "adrenaline" is one of the facets we have all talked about before. This Mustang is so well-mannered compared to its ancestors that it feels slower than it actually is.

I remember when my bride and I tested a V6. I headed for one of my favorite twisty on-ramps. I thought I was doing about 50 at the top of the ramp, looked down and discovered I was doing over 70.

Acceleration in these new Mustangs can be a little deceiving. Much faster than they "feel".
Could not agree more...drove an 05 v6 today and constantly felt challenged to obey the speed limit even in a v6.
Old 11/20/04, 12:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by BlueDiamond@November 20, 2004, 11:35 AM
:scratch: YOU ORDERED AN 05 GT WITHOUT TEST DRIVING ONE? HMMM...INTERESTING.

:scratch: YOUVE HEARD "SEDANS" WITH THROATIER EXHAUST.........HMMMM.....INTERESTING.

DO YOU STILL HAVE PLANS TO TAKE DELIVERY OF YOUR 05 STANG?

CAN YOU SUPPLY US WITH THE LIST OF SEDANS YOU ARE REFERRING TOO?

JUST CURIOUS
Yes, I ordered one without test driving one...why????Because I knew it would be a good driver since I already liked my previous Mustangs and because EVERYONE claims the new 05 drives BETTER than any previous Mustang produced. On top of that, I didn't want to wait, I wanted my car ASAP. At less than $30k, this car is a no brainer!! I've gooten used to paying high $30k's for cars and trucks with MSRP in the $40k's. What's so interesting about that??

Sedans: 1994 BMW 740i, 1990 Infinity Q45, "most" new infinities(even the v6 models), ALL Dodge vehicles with HEMI engine, Jaguar XJR, ALL Performance tuned BMW's and Mercedes Benz, and to add to the list, a few SUV's like Denaili, FX35/FX45, Cayenne, and so on. I didn't say the new Mustang sounded bad, I just said my EXPECTATIONS were too high; it sound like a "sporty" car and that's about it.

My Stang is scheduled to be built on Nov.22 and delivered on Dec.7.
I will absolutely be taking delivery of it, it is a great car and I like it. My original post is intended to promote the much overlooked ability of this new car to perform in ways OTHER than a straight line! Furthermore, after reading my post, one should get a realistic expectation of the attributes of the new Mustang GT. Myabe I didn't communicate that well enough-I am not a writer, I'm just another car enthusiast like most of us on this site!
Old 11/20/04, 12:47 PM
GT Member

:scratch: HMMM...Why is everybody always pickin' on me???

:scratch: Just Curious
Old 11/20/04, 01:13 PM
Cobra R Member

I based my decision to order my GT on the 'Road Tests' (and I read them closely) from the likes of Motor Trend...Car & Driver...Mustang Enthusiast'....etc. No need to beat up someone else's car to get my kicks. I did test drive a Mustang for basic comfort/feel......and left the performance stuff to the pro's with the cars that were assigned for this very purpose. 'Nuff said....
Old 11/20/04, 02:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I get what you're saying. Basically, that lack of "feeling" the power is actually a testament to the refinement of the car. And while you expected it to be an outright straight line performer, the great handling was an unexpected suprise. Throw on better performing tires and it'll really shine. As for the exhaust, there's always the aftermarket! Good review
Old 11/20/04, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by r22tech@November 20, 2004, 8:36 AM

I sure did...and if he was smart, he would realize that I was probably NOT THE FIRST to do that to this particular car!
Oh, I see... that makes it ok for YOU "to do that to this particular car!"?

No, it doesn't.

You see, all of my driving amounted to a little less than 5 miles....the odometer had 101 miles on it when I got in.
You drove less than 5 miles and got the entire drivetrain (on a new car no less) up to operating temps?

I doubt it.

Give me a break about "respect", I didn't do any burn-outs and I at least waited for the engine to warm-up! You people are crazy if you think a "new" mustang with like 50 miles has not been run hard....
First, I doubt it was warmed up and even if it was it wasn't broken in. And, no, we are not crazy to think the car had not been run hard. Possibly every other driver but YOU respected the car for what it was - a new car, NOT A TEST MULE.

Secondly, 'respect' is earned, not demanded. Just saying I 'deserve' to be respected does not guarantee that I will be.

Remember - actions speak much louder than words.

jeez, the sales guy that took that car from me in the parking lot , gunned it and practically chirped the tires: He was only driving about 50 feet away with the new owner watching.
Again, HIS stupid and careless handling of a BRAND NEW CAR makes it ok for you or anyone else to do so?

Not at all.

Get a grip guys, there will always be the "test-mules" for us to work over, just make sure you don't buy one
This line is the most telling of your entire 'defense' - you consider any new car on a lot that you aren't going to buy a test mule to be abused by yourself and others as long as YOU are not buying it and at the same time, you validate my position by stating that we should be sure we do not buy a car that has been 'worked over' (your OWN words) like you just did.

And you still don't get it? Sorry, but that car on the dealer's lot is for sale and some unsuspecting buyer will buy the abuse that you put into the car as well as the abuse of anyone else who has the mindset you do. :notnice:

I will ask you one question and then I'm dropping it. Would you want someone to do to YOUR NEW CAR what you (and others as you claim) did to that one before you buy it?

I didn't think so.

These cars are not a dime a dozen on dealer's lots and even if they were, it does NOT entitle you or anyone else to flog (as in, running it to redline and not even broken in, chirping tires, quick-shifting, etc) a brand new car that YOU are not going to buy. You are abusing someone else's property, nothing less.

And that is disrespectful. :nono:

Oh - one last thing. You asked in another reply "Why is everybody always picking on me?"

Care to guess? I'm sorry if what I've said sounds like 'picking on you' but what you did is irresponsible. Then, to try and dismiss it by saying "everybody else is doing it" and "there will always be test mules for us (meaning YOU) TO WORK OVER" really makes it worse.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Quick Reply: My first DRIVE...an objective overview