2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My car has been repainted? (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/05, 07:41 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to the body shop today to have some slight imperfections looked at. After the guys looked around at it for a little while they concluded that it has been re-cleared. I asked them to show me how they can tell this and it is obvious. They used a paint thickness meter and showed me that the paint all around the car was around 10 - 12 mils thick. They then checked three other Mustangs in the shop and showed me that all of them were at or around 4.5 to 5.5 mils. Which according to them a factory paint job is usually within that range. There are spots where it looks like it was touched up then clear coat was sprayed over the touchup spots. Also on the edge of the drivers side wheel wells the clear was so thick that it looks like it had drips that dried just on the edge. In fact that is one of the things I took it in to have checked. One of these hardened drips chipped off.

These guys were telling me that it is not uncommon for cars to be damage in transit then the dealer will have their own body shop fix them. But I remember tracking my car while it was on the train. There was no delay from the ramp to my dealer. So I don't think the dealer repaired anything. It was unloaded from the Train on a Sunday and I picked it up on a Tuesday. I think the imperfections were created and repaired at the factory. My car was built on the February7th. But did not leave the factory until mid March. I remember something about a "Quality Hold" I think it was in the Body Shop really. Does Ford have a body shop where cars would be resprayed? I imagine they have soemthing like that.

I am a little dissapointed in certain parts of the paint on this car. Don't get me wrong the extra thick clear coat really gives it a shine when parked next to the other Silver GT's at the dealer. It looks as if it has a permanent coat of Zaino or something! I think the extra clear coat is good. And it will provide a longer life for the paint. But it bothers me how some of the edges are so thick that if they are hit just right they will break off. On the corner of my hood where it hangs down just over the headlamp lens a piece broke off. The body shop man told me they would have to redo the entire hood to correct it. I think I will just put a thick layer of touchup in that area. I just don't think they can get it right. Sometimes its "Better the devil you know, then the one you don't".

Has anyone noticed these same type of things? Are you going to have it fixed or just live with?
Old 4/21/05, 07:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That excess clear will likely be wetsanded and buffed. That should solve the problem. I'll tell you what, I'll trade you situations. I think most of us got one thin layer of clear, and it sounds like yours was done right. I've got over half a dozen stone chips at 2000 miles. I wish I had the extra clear.

I don't remember who originally said this, but: "You do realize you're not driving a Ferrari..." Unfortunately, it's true that Ford doesn't offer the same build quality as more expensive cars. It'd be nice if they could get it better for $30k though. I guess maybe I'm talking about my car and not really anyone else's.
Old 4/21/05, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I am going to be bringing my Black GT into the dealer to have it either buffed or re-cleared. I have only had my car for 3 weeks today and it's got water etching all over it!!! I have probably washed it 7-8 times since i've had it, waxed it twice and also tried to get the spots out myself with Meguiar's 3step process. I was only able to get some of the water marks out so the dealer told me it will be covered under warrantee.

I have to say that the paint/clear on these cars ain't all that.

Good luck with yours.
Old 4/21/05, 08:10 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Dysan@April 21, 2005, 7:07 PM
I am going to be bringing my Black GT into the dealer to have it either buffed or re-cleared. I have only had my car for 3 weeks today and it's got water etching all over it!!! I have probably washed it 7-8 times since i've had it, waxed it twice and also tried to get the spots out myself with Meguiar's 3step process. I was only able to get some of the water marks out so the dealer told me it will be covered under warrantee.

I have to say that the paint/clear on these cars ain't all that.

Good luck with yours.
If the water etching was there before you waxed it then you need to remove the wax first. Try using a Clay Magic Claybar. It will remove the wax and it should remove the etching. I used one on my car to remove all of the rail dust and and overspray. Worked like a charm. Although my arms were really tired after two days. It will probably remove the etching. It will also make that black look wicked. If the Claybar doesn't remove the etching try some 3M Perfect It II or III lightly with a very soft 100% cotton cloth. It should remove the etching, unless it is under the clearcoat.
Old 4/21/05, 08:32 PM
Bullitt Member

I did remove the 1st layer of wax I had put on with a dawn detergent soap wash and tried the meguiar's clay bar and it didn't do squat to the water spots. I had better luck with the 3step system meguiars has but that still didn't get them all out. I worked on it for 12 hours one day and wasn't able to get it all so i'm going to put it in the dealer's hands. I shouldn't have to work this hard on a car's finish when it's only 3 weeks old.

I did order the porter cable 7424 random orbit buffer and will give that a go though.
Old 4/21/05, 08:34 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Dysan@April 21, 2005, 7:35 PM
I did remove the 1st layer of wax I had put on with a dawn detergent soap wash and tried the meguiar's clay bar and it didn't do squat to the water spots. I had better luck with the 3step system meguiars has but that still didn't get them all out. I worked on it for 12 hours one day and wasn't able to get it all so i'm going to put it in the dealer's hands. I shouldn't have to work this hard on a car's finish when it's only 3 weeks old.

I did order the porter cable 7424 random orbit buffer and will give that a go though.

I agree that the dealer should have taken care of it before delivery. :scratch: