2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Awesome Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/15, 08:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
@thread owner.. What did you do to make the cruise button work?

-Matt
Old 3/20/15, 04:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
The switch without the 5 way directional button uses the same resistances for cruise as the 05-09. Only resume would not work.

Am I right on that VGM? Also, if you still want a 13/14 shifter, I have one I can sell you. PM me if you want it. I will eventually be putting in my old 10-12 shifter into my 05.
Old 3/20/15, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks Good. Keep it up..
Old 4/29/15, 03:35 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Small update.
I went ahead and changed my gear shifter to the 2014 one.
I had to do some modification so it would work properly.
Since I don't use 3-1 I don't mind it being like that.
The + on the button controls the OD on/off.

I like it.
The following users liked this post:
Mr.Tk (5/18/18)
Old 4/29/15, 03:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
VGMStudios you are really talented. Especially making things fit, work properly, and look great, even when you were told that it wouldn't work and you said you didn't like that answer so you made it work. That's a great attitude. You've got a great one of a kind car there.
VGMStudios (12/16/19)
Old 4/29/15, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scarpi
VGMStudios you are really talented. Especially making things fit, work properly, and look great, even when you were told that it wouldn't work and you said you didn't like that answer so you made it work. That's a great attitude. You've got a great one of a kind car there.
Oh wow! Thank you Scarpi for your kind words. I was not expecting that. You actually made my day.
I really do love to customize things no matter what it is and make it my own.
If you ever need help with anything please lmk.

I can't wait till I'm done with my next modifications.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 4/29/15 at 09:27 PM.
Old 4/30/15, 09:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarpi
He does have a knack for retrofitting things. Continues to look great.
VGMStudios (12/16/19)
Old 7/2/15, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great work! I want on of those mirrors for my 05 convertible. Where did you get that one?
Old 7/2/15, 08:21 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
Just read through this thread....great work on tastefully modifying the car!
Old 9/6/15, 11:45 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Notice you zip tied your back speakers. Can you tell me how you managed to get your hand through that tight space? ive been wanting to do it cause at around 60Mph my back speakers start to shake.
Old 9/7/15, 12:39 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also could i install the 2010 center console and 2010 Ebrake but still keep my shifter?

-Adan
Old 12/24/15, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I am jumping on the 2010+ centre console band wagon! I just ordered the centre console and ebrake on ebay.

VGMStudios. I may pick your brain about the console lighting, since the console has the My colour option. I might also do the same plastidip work on it, since it has a couple imperfections on it. That or I wait to get it hydrocarbon dipped like my current factory one.
Old 1/9/16, 12:26 PM

How did you do the ring around the gauges?
Old 1/10/16, 10:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

VGMStudios,

Would it be possible for you to post some additional pictures of the centre console? Some pics from the side would be great that show the curved area.
Old 9/7/16, 06:30 PM

Sorry guys i dont come here as often as id like.

Originally Posted by johnfrer
Great work! I want on of those mirrors for my 05 convertible. Where did you get that one?
I bought my mirrors off ebay i believe.

Originally Posted by mustangsally_
Also could i install the 2010 center console and 2010 Ebrake but still keep my shifter?
-Adan
Yes you can keep the original shifter

Originally Posted by ACharmedMatrix
How did you do the ring around the gauges?
After getting my custom cluster I had to figure out a way to get those rings to light so i bought 2 EL sheets, cut out the ring and placed it behind the cluster. The only thing that i don't like is the buzzing noise the converter makes. But you could cover that in sound deadening or something.
Old 9/8/16, 07:31 AM

Update

This is an update over the past year or so.
This year I upgraded my sway bars to the GT versions. That was a PITA to do because one or two of the bolts were so hard to get off. I had to cut one of the bolts off in the rear, good thing I had an extra. Car handles a little better.

Next I finally finish retrofitting my head lights. I get such nice compliments from strangers and Mustang owners. In fact people want to copy me!
By passing the DRL system was such a challenge that I needed my brothers help. We end up adding 2 relays so they function properly. So now when I put down the Ebrake the ring and two slits light up (like the 2016s)

and when I turn on my actual headlights:

This is the final result after putting on the headlight splitters:

Next I installed new rotors and breaks. I cleaned up the brake calipers because I wanted to paint them before adding anything new, and of course when putting everything back on, the right rear one gave me so much trouble. Again called upon my bother (he is a Master mechanic) to help.

Cleaned caliper:

After I painted them. I also added decals to them:

Yes I know my rims need to be fixed up. It does bother me.

So a few months go by and its this summer. I'm driving one day and I see this:

What the hell?

How did THAT happen? Hardly even use the Resume button. I looked online and noticed a lot of people have this issue too. Cheap paint on Fords part. So I found and bought decals to go over them. Once they arrived I tried it and didnt like the look of it. Looks way to cheap. So I sanded the spot down and as I did that more loose paint started to show up all over the 4 buttons!! What a nightmare.

Then I proceeded to air brush them. Turned out ok.

After that I went ahead and tackled the aging plate frames I bought 2 years ago. Finding someone to do chrome decals in the Mustang logo was a PITA. It seems no one I asked from ebay could do it or they charged $40 for these tiny things. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. So I bought my own chrome vinyl and cut out the letters and horse myself.
Went from this:

To this:

Doesnt look to shabby if you ask me!

Finally, when the 2016's came out and I sat in one at the auto show I knew I had to get the center piece for the steering wheel. It just looks SO nice!
After searching and looking around I found a guy selling just the cover finally. So after getting it I customized my old cover so it would fit the new one since the design of the new one is completely different.

Here is the final result:

I was not able to do sound deadening this year as I hoped. Maybe next summer.
Old 9/8/16, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I did the sound deadening this past winter instead of tackling the 2010+ centre console swap. I started cutting the console and since it was going to take a lot of my time and I wanted to get the car back on the road for the summer I just stopped. I have everything needed to get it done this winter and will take my time doing it.

I really like that steering wheel airbag cover. How much work was it to get it to fit?
Old 9/8/16, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by SeanD
I did the sound deadening this past winter instead of tackling the 2010+ centre console swap. I started cutting the console and since it was going to take a lot of my time and I wanted to get the car back on the road for the summer I just stopped. I have everything needed to get it done this winter and will take my time doing it.

I really like that steering wheel airbag cover. How much work was it to get it to fit?
oh ya? what were your results? What did you use? Were you happy with it?

I know right?! Looks SO nice!
It took me roughly a weekend to get it to fit. I used the cover that car came with and cut that up along with cutting the new one to fit. Though I wish I didnt cut mine as far down as I did, as I forgot to factor in the old covers width. Also had to gut the new one so the older one can fit.. Dont worry. I made sure the airbag can still deploy by cutting a large hole in the old cover.
Then glued and using sealer so it cant come off. Im just chalk full of these great ideas!
Old 9/8/16, 11:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

I used Noico liner 80mil thickness first, then laid Audimute Peacemaker 3.2mm over that. I did the whole interior floor, back seat and trunk area. It made a huge difference as I have a pretty loud exhaust at times. Before it was difficult to have a conversation without raising your voice. After the work completed and I put everything back in, my wife and I can now have a normal voice level conversation. She was very happy with the end result.

I got the Noico stuff off of eBay and ordered the AudiMute product directly from the company.
VGMStudios (9/8/16)
Old 6/5/18, 02:19 AM

Mirror question

Hey brother. What kind of mirror did you use for the rear view with a compass upgrade? How difficult was the wiring job? Thanks!!!

Mark

Quick Reply: My Awesome Mustang