My Awesome Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/14, 08:42 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Taillights
Old 9/9/14, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think tbear853 is talking about some of your "before" pics seem to have a bluish tint to them. Makes your relatively rare Alloy color look blue.
Old 9/9/14, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks great :-)
Old 11/6/14, 10:13 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Small update.
The center console piece that I had there had a lot of small scratches on it. It really looked bad, especially around the shifter bezzle. I was thinking of getting a new piece to replace it but that would cost to much.
I then thought of painting it but would have to try to match the color perfectly.
Then I found out about plasti-dip. Man this stuff is amazing.

I bought Tan, black and silver metalized thinking I could match the color.
Nope didnt work. Then I found that they had Smoke color and this is what I used.
So after a few layers of smoke, silver metalized and a top clear coat it came out looking like this.

Close up

I am actually pretty pleased with the results. Looks darn good and still is the original color just darker. It matches the rest of the interior a lot better.

Last edited by VGMStudios; 11/6/14 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11/6/14, 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Small update. The center console piece that I had there had a lot of small scratches on it. It really looked bad, especially around the shifter bezzle. I was thinking of getting a new piece to replace it but that would cost to much. I then thought of painting it but would have to try to match the color perfectly. Then I found out about plasti-dip. Man this stuff is amazing. I bought Tan, black and silver metalized thinking I could match the color. Nope didnt work. Then I found that they had Smoke color and this is what I used. So after a few layers of smoke, silver metalized and a top clear coat it came out looking like this. Close up I am actually pretty pleased with the results. Looks darn good and still is the original color just darker. It matches the rest of the interior a lot better.

Looks good, I liked using the dip, I just hate the way it feels to the touch. So gross!
Old 11/6/14, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
Looks good, I liked using the dip, I just hate the way it feels to the touch. So gross!

I will agree with you there. I wish there was a top coat that you can put on and it will remove that rubbery feel and make it all smooth like.
Old 11/7/14, 04:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I will agree with you there. I wish there was a top coat that you can put on and it will remove that rubbery feel and make it all smooth like.
Have you thought about spraying a good clear coat over it? I know this would probably compromise your ability to just peel it off later, but it looks really good in pictures.

(I'm just thinking out loud)
Old 11/7/14, 07:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by lowblustang00
Have you thought about spraying a good clear coat over it? I know this would probably compromise your ability to just peel it off later, but it looks really good in pictures. (I'm just thinking out loud)
Dip Your Car did a video of paint/cc over plastidip, and while it does make it harder to peel, it's still removable. I'd just be weary of how the finish would turn out. I think it would still be sticky...
Old 11/7/14, 09:39 AM

Well I did put a plasti-dip clear coat over everything. I dont really care to peel it off. In fact I would much prefer if it DIDN'T peel off. Thanks for the tip and the idea. I will have to find that video.
All that remains is to decide if I want a gloss or matte (flat) finish....hummm.
Old 11/7/14, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Im sorry, could you explain what you mean by tails? Do you mean my tail lights? I know not everyone likes them. I wish I could change them up a bit as they do not function like the stock ones do.

Thanks for the appreciation. Just so you know the car has been always Alloy, color code G5. It was never blue.
It's not that I "don't like" the new tails, it's more just that I like the OEM tail lights mo-better.

As to the color ..... looking at the first pair of pics it still looks like you went from a blue to a grey ...... just the lighting doing that ..... but I wasn't sure what with all the changes.

Overall, I love what you've done to it.
Old 11/25/14, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice job...did u do the carbon fiber trim yourself? Thinking about some to do my rad cover with some
Old 11/25/14, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
WOW! This is amazing. I didn't know you could do that with a 2010 console. How hard was that?
Old 11/25/14, 02:10 PM
GT Member

Also, I LOVE your raxiom tail lights.
Old 11/25/14, 02:38 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have a lot of money, time, and effort into your car... and it shows. Nicely done!
Old 11/25/14, 04:45 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 107 Likes on 95 Posts
I love your mods and upgrades. Well done.
Old 11/26/14, 09:49 AM
GT Member

I need more pictures of this center console in the car. Must have them!
Old 11/28/14, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jek57
Nice job...did u do the carbon fiber trim yourself? Thinking about some to do my rad cover with some

Thanks! No I did not do the hydro carbon myself. I got a guy in FL to do it for me. He did a really good job and took care of my needs.
You can find his website here http://www.americanhydrocarbon.com/ and LMK I sent you (just say John from Canada with the Mustang) He will know who it is.

Originally Posted by austinkli
WOW! This is amazing. I didn't know you could do that with a 2010 console. How hard was that? Also, I LOVE your raxiom tail lights.

Thank you. I too really like these lights. As for the console. I did a lot of research and spoke with a member here do did the same thing. He gave me some tips. Basically you need to cut off the front of the 2010+ console and trim it down SLOWLY until it fits. I did a lot of cut, test fit, Cut, test fit, cut, test fit. Its not really hard, just time consuming. Wiring up the trunk button is fairly straight forward, there are some guides floating around here that show you how. And as for the lights, I just hooked up the Blue LEDS and left it like that.

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
You have a lot of money, time, and effort into your car... and it shows. Nicely done!

Lots of money? Well not really. hahaha. I bought all the parts over the course of the long winter. But yes I did put a lot of time and effort into adding the mods. I really love doing this type of work on anything. Getting those doors LEDed and wired up properly was the hard stuff. Big hands in small spaces.. not really fun. haha.

Originally Posted by GrnT
I love your mods and upgrades. Well done.
Thank you Sir!

Originally Posted by austinkli
I need more pictures of this center console in the car. Must have them!
Ha ha. Sure Ill try to take some and post them up for you.

My next upgrade will be changing the 2010 shifter to a 2014 shifter. I just like the look a lot better the the T shifter. That is if I can find one.
Old 3/13/15, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
John: The car looks great. First time I saw all your pictures.

As for the funny feel of Plasticoat, try the new Rustoluem Flexidip. Feeels more like real paint and has all the same features as plasticoat does. I tried it on some interior and it was an exact match. Hope that helps the feel problem.

As for the 2014 shifter, here you go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shifter-Assy-2014-MUSTANG-1468920-/191518194087?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c975fb9a7&vxp=mtr

Last edited by akdoggie; 3/13/15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 3/13/15, 01:21 PM
GT Member

Since this thread got bumped I just checked it out again, and it's just so amazing! I had forgotten how blown away by it I was.
Old 3/18/15, 11:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
I want that center console... OP, you found that console on eBay right? Was it complete? Did you need anything else to complete the install?

Quick Reply: My Awesome Mustang