2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My 06 is in

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/05, 09:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had no idea how to drive stick before buying my 95 Cobra. I bought it used with a short throw shifter and a racing clutch, and it was very easy to drive. Hatchman's 05 however, I have more trouble driving, but only on steep inclines.
Old 8/26/05, 09:41 AM
GT Member

i wish i could have learned how to drive a manual in a Mustang. I learned in a '72 Bug. It had a bad battery as well so I learned the art of pushing it, jumping in, and popping the clutch to get her started. One thing though is it makes you appreciate a good stick shift.
Old 8/26/05, 01:32 PM

I learned in a 1957 chevy pickup with a worn-our front end, and a steering wheel like a school bus! I learned on Memorial Dr in Tulsa OK. Back then, Memorial Dr was straight up and down hills, with stop signs at the top of each hill. :bang: Both me and the pick-up survived. Twenty years later, I bought another standard, and it was like I had driven one my whole life. It's kinda like riding a bike, once you learn, you never forget. You will be burnin' rubber in no time!
Old 8/26/05, 01:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

The hardest part about driving a stick is being stuck in traffic on a steep hill with a car a few inches from your rear bumper
Old 8/27/05, 05:04 PM
GT Member

I'm home now with the car and I can't wait to drive her. I'll post pictures tomorrow since its raining outside. So far everyone in my family that hated the car hass changed their mind. Also, it came with a nice little CD that has nice video clips and an interactive owners manual.

I just made a Gmail account, themustangsource@gmail.com, for it so everyone can login and download it. The screen name is 'themustangsource', with a password of 'fordmustang.' The cd was only 100 MB, so I created 10 10 MB .RAR files. For anyone that doesn't know about Gmail, it has over 2.5 Gigs of space for email. I figured that members could also upload any videos to the email account that they can't upload to this site. If you don’t have a utility for Rar files I’ll upload one to the account as well. It will probably take 30 more minutes to upload all the files. So they should all be there by 7:45 PM EST

Enjoy
Simon

NOTE TO BRAD: if you want to take over this account because of the name be my guest.
Old 8/27/05, 05:23 PM
GT Member

Sorry, I forgot to post instructions for those that might not have done this before.
1 Install the file that will be in the email titled "WinRar Utility" If you don't have one.
2 Download all 10 rar files for the CD
3 Open the first file, its called "Mustang Cd.part01"
4 Click the Extract to button at the top and type in where you want it.
5 Now you have extracted all the files in the same format they were in when I copied them from the cd (hidden or not).

Simon
Old 8/27/05, 06:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by puffyafros@August 26, 2005, 9:44 AM
i wish i could have learned how to drive a manual in a Mustang. I learned in a '72 Bug. It had a bad battery as well so I learned the art of pushing it, jumping in, and popping the clutch to get her started. One thing though is it makes you appreciate a good stick shift.

Multi-tasking

You'll do fine in the 05 manual.
I learned to drive a stick when I was 14......ole man through me in a fugly 63 Valiant.....3 on the tree :bang: :bang: !

Good Luck!
Old 8/28/05, 04:21 PM
GT Member

You'll be fine.

This will be my 2nd owned stick-shift car. I've driven a bunch. I learned on a Hayes or Hyster forklift truck about 7-8 years ago. I dunno what kind of idiot thought it would be a good idea to have it clutched, what with the back and forth required for a lift truck work. Hahah. By then end of an 8 hour shift my knee joint would feel like it was on fire with all the de-clutching all day. Imagine going back and forth in a parking lot all day in your stang. Hahaha... Ah the good old days. Heavy clutched sucker too with 10-11" travel Those of you who drive trucks might know what I'm talking about.

My first stick road vehicle was a Hyundai elantra. Man do those cars ever have a silky gearbox. Only honda comes that close. Oh, and the new ford stang of course. You are gonna love the notchiness. Count yourself lucky you aren't learning on a GM or VW stick. They are crapola

-Christian
Old 8/28/05, 04:48 PM

I test drove a 05 gt manual at the dealer. The sales rep with me on the drive did not know how to drive a stick. The car was smooth as can be, while having lots of power. It was great.

I think that most anyone could learn in an afternoon. The redfire only had 15 miles when I took it out. Regretfully, it started to mist while we were driving and I didn't really get to push the car.

I was ready to buy the car right then. But I saved about $2,000 by waiting for an ’06. It has really been tough. I hope to get mine in about 3 weeks.

Good Luck. You will love the manual.

My first car was a 1965 Corvair Corsa 4-speed. That car looked great and was really fast. I bought it in 1968 for $500 thanks to Ralph Nader. I replaced the Corvair with a 69 Malibu 350 - 300 hp with manual and Corvette clutch. That one took a lot of clutch effort. It was dusk blue (that's why I ordered the vista blue).

This will be my first Ford.
Old 8/29/05, 05:00 PM
GT Member

Just got time to get back on the boards for the first time, now I understand how when people get their cars and disappear for a few days. Everyone was right, I got her movin the first night. I love launchin her at 2,000 rpm.
Pictures will follow soon.

Simon