2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustangs in camaro design studio

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/06, 09:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by The Deviant One@January 12, 2006, 9:59 AM
Lol. Probably not. Remember, Mustang has always been the leader not the follower IMO.
I never said they were not. Just that they will probably examine what the competition is releasing. It is always good to compare, besides who knows how long the Camaro will be around this time....

Old 1/13/06, 02:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by FordFun@January 13, 2006, 9:30 AM
I believe HTT and his team based the new Mustang off the same years that
GM is basing the Camaro.
The lead designers (Doug Gaffka, Larry Erickson, J Mays) said they were most influenced by the profile of the '65 GT350 and the front end of the '68 Mustangs. Of all the major styling elements, those seem to be what many people remember as Mustang.

Source for this information - Mustang 2005: A New Breed of Pony Car
Old 1/13/06, 04:06 PM

Well :

Apparently there are different points of view which they all are respectable, more the facts are :

Fact ; GM when the success of the Mustang sees in the year 2005 with sales 170 000 units in US against your GTO with sales of a bit more than 10500 units tries to re-live through something that already they had rejected in 2002.

Fact ; GM in the segment of the pony cars returns to be an imitator like it it was in 1967 and to try to steal the success of others.

Fact ; A company that has in door the dismissal of 30000 workers and closing factory, where it tries to construct this Camaro, in China? And without seeing the probable almost eminent bankruptcy in this year and loyalty of the consumers.

Fact ; Lutz to saying that GM has other priorities before throwing this project for 2009, more already had your 5 minutes of fame, buying to the means and trying to stimulate something that very probably already this buried.

( My english is not perfect , waiting for your compression. Regards )

Old 1/13/06, 04:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Huh? :scratch: What's your point?
Old 1/13/06, 05:08 PM

That really if the copy or imitation exists on the part of one company or companies , not importing overcoat the ethics.

Old 1/13/06, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I see. Facts 1 & 2 of your previous post are most valid in terms of using each others' designs for influence, but you have to remember that both these cars' existance rely on trying to outdo each other. If it weren't for the Mustang in '64, Camaro would not have existed in '67. Also, if it weren't for the Camaro, or other pony cars for that matter trying to outdo Mustang, then Ford would not have even bothered to evolve the Mustang into what is has become today.
Marketing is also another important point in regards to #1 in that if Ford comes out with something that would excite a lot of people, then Chevy and other like competitors would also want a piece of the pie.
That's how it has worked for the last four decades and that is how its gonna be for the unforseeable future.

Hope this makes sense in regards to your post.
Old 1/13/06, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by The Deviant One@January 13, 2006, 6:46 PM
I see. Facts 1 & 2 of your previous post are most valid in terms of using each others' designs for influence, but you have to remember that both these cars' existance rely on trying to outdo each other. If it weren't for the Mustang in '64, Camaro would not have existed in '67. Also, if it weren't for the Camaro, or other pony cars for that matter trying to outdo Mustang, then Ford would not have even bothered to evolve the Mustang into what is has become today.
Marketing is also another important point in regards to #1 in that if Ford comes out with something that would excite a lot of people, then Chevy and other like competitors would also want a piece of the pie.
That's how it has worked for the last four decades and that is how its gonna be for the unforseeable future.

Hope this makes sense in regards to your post.
I coincide with you.

I apologize for not offering my regards, more there were problems with the connection in this precise moment and readiness was needed.

Anyway are no excuses , it waited be able to understand.

Regards.
Old 1/13/06, 09:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 1/14/06, 09:24 PM
GT Member

why doesn't GM just go out of buisness already?
SSSHHHHHEEEESSSSHHHHH are they an uninspired corperate, bureaucratic company or WHAT?

I really, truly DISLIKE (even to the verge of HATE!) GM (besides, of course, cadillac and the Corvette.) Nothing that they have been releasing is worth while- there is ALWAYS something wrong. They never take chances! When the '06 civic looks way cooler than Pontiac's "flagship" sportscar, the GTO, then something is horribly, horribly wrong.

The heydays of the 50's for GM are LONNNNGGGGG gone.

LONG LIVE FORD!
(and maybe even the imports!)
(and definitely Chrystler. They are taking chances these days too!)
Old 1/16/06, 12:45 PM
GT Member

What about these two, i always tought they look similar in some ways. I could just be me.
Old 1/16/06, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FordFun@January 13, 2006, 9:30 AM
An aside: I've noticed in talking to some friends and family that they
confuse the 99-04 with the 05-06 very often. The interesting thing to
note is that the new Mustang gets confused with the old version by the
not so discerning eye. My point: It's a MUSTANG and not anything else.
I have done that too...i'll be driving along and up ahead i'll see a mustang at a stop light that i think is an '05, and i wana check it out and then i get closer and its an '03...and i have mistaken the '99-'04 versions with the '05 & 6's from the rear and side...weird :scratch:

and on the topic of coping...
my dad has a picture somewhere of the '69 Pontiac GTO in the pontiac design studio and a '67 or '68 Mercury Cougar in the background

and since i saw the picture every time i see a '69 style GTO i can alwase see the cougar in it
Old 1/16/06, 02:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by chris8519@January 14, 2006, 10:27 PM
why doesn't GM just go out of buisness already?
SSSHHHHHEEEESSSSHHHHH are they an uninspired corperate, bureaucratic company or WHAT?

I really, truly DISLIKE (even to the verge of HATE!) GM (besides, of course, cadillac and the Corvette.) Nothing that they have been releasing is worth while- there is ALWAYS something wrong. They never take chances! When the '06 civic looks way cooler than Pontiac's "flagship" sportscar, the GTO, then something is horribly, horribly wrong.

The heydays of the 50's for GM are LONNNNGGGGG gone.

LONG LIVE FORD!
(and maybe even the imports!)
(and definitely Chrystler. They are taking chances these days too!)

well you know if GM went out of buisness...there would be alot of pissed off chevy guys

and chevy has recalls often (Chevrolet: Constantly Having Every Vehicle Recalled Over Lousy Engineering Techniques)

but as for the civic looking better than the GTO...i dont think so...anything american is better than an import (car wise) excluding some european and aussi cars
Old 1/16/06, 11:57 PM
GT Member

Even though im a ford guy, I say we shouldn't care if GM or even DC copied some cues from ford, we need to support each other, especially right now with all the rising competition and sales from imports. We are what keeps GM and DC in business, and they are what keeps Ford in business. The rivalry between them stir up each others sales. Yes, the Mustang may have been the reason for all of the pony cars that have existed, but they are the reason to why Ford has tried and has made the Mustang into what it is today. Do what you have to do Big 3, don't let the imports take over the American market.
Old 1/17/06, 12:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by FordRacing421@January 16, 2006, 3:51 PM
but as for the civic looking better than the GTO...i dont think so...anything american is better than an import (car wise) excluding some european and aussi cars
Actually Honda has "some" assembly plants in North America, it's just the engine that is imported. Meanwhile the GTO is produced in Australia.......nothing says American Muscle like Australia.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.