2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang wouldn't start!

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/06, 03:52 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all,

this morning when I went to turn on my Stang, nothing happened and all I could hear was a slight "whirring" or "grinding" sound coming from the dashboard. This has happened once before but it eventually fired up. I had to get to work so I decided to to take my motorcycle.

The Stang was blocking my driveway so I had no choice but to try to squeeze down a walkway on the other side of my house. Now, I have done this before with no problems, but this morning it wasn't to be. As I was trying to roll the bike over a small curb running parallel to the walkway, the bike tipped over to the right and down I went! My right leg got pinned under 600lbs of metal and I could feel that my foot had gotten the worst of it. Now, being the macho tough guy that I am, I pushed the bike up enough to get my leg out from under it, then proceeded to stand up and hoist the bike up, mount back up, and proceed on my way to work.
Now, maybe it was just the adrenalin pumping (and the embarrassment of a neighbor watching), but my foot didn't feel so bad. But now as I'm writing this, I'm pretty sure something's busted in there, 'cause I can barely walk on it now, so I'm calling the doctor to get x-rays.

Despite all this bullcrap, my biggest concern is my Stang?

Why won't it start? Any ideas?

Oh BTW, my bike didn't have a scratch on it. Wish I could say the same for myself. I also got a slight exhaust burn on my leg [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smilies23.gif[/img]
Old 4/21/06, 05:15 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
man that stinks. As for your car, sounds like the battery was dead, well, didn't have enough charge to start the car.
Old 4/21/06, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree, sounds like it may be time for a new alternator (although its hard to believe it would burned out this quickly).
Old 4/21/06, 05:31 PM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(351pony @ April 21, 2006, 5:21 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I agree, sounds like it may be time for a new alternator (although its hard to believe it would burned out this quickly).
[/b][/quote]

If he has the factory alarm system, he will just need to recharge the battery. The alarm system tends to drain it if you don't start it up every day.
Old 4/21/06, 06:10 PM
Cobra R Member

thanks for your feedback, guys, but here's the weird part.

I just got home from work and it fired right up! WTF??

Also, the car is pretty much my daily driver, so it gets fired up regularly. I sometimes commute to work on my cruiser, but that's about it.

hmmmm....
Old 4/21/06, 06:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I dunno, maybe your car was having the equivalent to a bad hair day?
Old 4/21/06, 09:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Rob-
Searched for wierd electrical issues here and a few had problems with the Smart Junction Box.

SJB
Old 4/21/06, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey, how's your foot ? Anything broken ?

Re. Mustang: it happened to me too, brought it to a dealership and they replaced the battery, everything's fine.
Old 4/21/06, 11:51 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Legion681 @ April 21, 2006, 10:23 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey, how's your foot ? Anything broken ?

Re. Mustang: it happened to me too, brought it to a dealership and they replaced the battery, everything's fine.
[/b][/quote]
Hey,

I waited in urgent care for over an hour for them to tell me that their x-ray machine was busted! So I gotta go to another one tomorrow. At least the doc prescribed some meds and I got some crutches. I have a feeling there are some hairline fractures. I'll find out tomorrow.

thanks for asking!

And thanks for the battery tidbit. That's reassuring [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 12:15 AM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TacoBill @ April 21, 2006, 8:41 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Rob-
Searched for wierd electrical issues here and a few had problems with the Smart Junction Box.

SJB
[/b][/quote]
Hey Bill,

thanks for the info! Hope to see you at the next Mustang meet! [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 4/22/06, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/postpics.gif[/img]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

or x-rays actually
Old 4/22/06, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

most likely associated with a completely dead battery.
Old 4/22/06, 02:55 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under my car today changing my oil and the starter is in a real easy spot to change out.
Old 4/22/06, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Safety switch on the clutch pedal?
Old 4/22/06, 11:34 PM
Cobra R Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jcopin @ April 22, 2006, 8:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/postpics.gif[/img]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

or x-rays actually
[/b][/quote]
You wanna see copies of my x-rays? Ha ha. Yup, they confirmed it this morning. My right pinky toe is broken. Gonna go to the ortho on monday. Hope it doesn't interfere with my driving the Stang!
Old 4/23/06, 12:09 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebel73 @ April 22, 2006, 1:54 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Hey,

I waited in urgent care for over an hour for them to tell me that their x-ray machine was busted! So I gotta go to another one tomorrow. At least the doc prescribed some meds and I got some crutches. I have a feeling there are some hairline fractures. I'll find out tomorrow.

thanks for asking!

And thanks for the battery tidbit. That's reassuring [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

Hey Rebel73,
sorry to hear your pinky is busted, but after a few weeks you ought to be ok. Good luck with it !

As far as the battery is concerned, they said they replaced the original battery (which they said it was a 580 CCA) with a more powerful one (650 CCA) and with this comment "I don't understand why in New England they don't put the 650 in it straight away".
Well, a free upgrade...not bad. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
In my case the battery died and it was out of the blue, it had never given me a problem and I had used the car the day before for some 60 miles. Oh and of course I didn't leave anything on.
So quite a surprise but hey, a happy ending... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 4/23/06, 10:05 AM
Bullitt Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rebel73 @ April 22, 2006, 11:37 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yup, they confirmed it this morning. My right pinky toe is broken. Gonna go to the ortho on monday. Hope it doesn't interfere with my driving the Stang!
[/b][/quote]

They'll just wrap the toe up in a splint (nothign else they can do for a broken toe). When I busted mine, I just added a second sock to that foot to help cusion it and was fine driving. Besides, if you're like me it'll take a lot more then a broken pinky toe to stop ya from driving your baby!
Old 4/23/06, 10:13 AM
FR500 Member

haha it sure is gonna take alot more to stop me too!!...so let us know how it is driving
Old 4/23/06, 11:04 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm not buying the battery issue. Batteries don't naturally die on their own and then magically come back to life. I'm more inclined to believe the smartbox issue. I've had weird things happen a couple times. I've killed the battery 3x on my own. Two times it was from leaving the radar detector on (which I still don't understand cause I used to leave the same detector on in my '97 Cobra without incident) and the third for no apparent reason. Then another time, without warning on a bright sunny day, no reaction at all could be had from attempts to start the car. No sound, no crank, no nothing. Then 2 minutes later ALSO without reason, another attempt started the car just as normal. All unexplained.

Car has been fine since these incidents.
Old 4/23/06, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

As "wussy" as a broken pinky toe sounds, speaking from experience, it is amazing how painfull it can be. I have broken 7 bones in my life and I know they hurt.

You wouldn't think a pinky toe does much of anything, but let me tell you, it lets you know when it is broken. That little toe goes "wee wee wee" when you walk too!

Quick Reply: Mustang wouldn't start!