2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang is pulling left after alignment

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/14, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang is pulling left after alignment

Hey what's up all my fellow stang people. I have a 2007 stang. My car was pulling left I figured I needed a alignment done and got one. But yet my car still pulls left. Can anyone tell me what the problem Is or if anything has happen like this with them? I also have shaking at 60mph but I'm guessing that's a balancing issues and will get that later today.
Thanks for the help,
Charles
Attached Thumbnails Mustang is pulling left after alignment-image-3175785570.jpg  
Old 7/16/14, 06:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
You have a thrust angle that's throwing the car to the left, looks like, with a -0.14, and your camber is off on the left side by quite a bit.

So you need a camber bolt on the left side, and either the frame's a little tweaked on the car, or you need adjustable lower control arms on the back to fix the thrust angle.

What's been done to your car to make these numbers the case? Has it been hit? Or did you bolt on something?

It's just numbers, and it may be that the camber and thrust angle isn't causing it, but on that sheet, those are the numbers that say "here it is."

It could be that the total toe is fine, but the total toe angle is pointed to the left because there's some other issue, such as a tie rod end, or a rack, or a badly positioned steering wheel.... that sorta thing.

I'm not sure if camber does much except, in that case, wear out the outer side of the tire. Although if there's added pressures, it could cause a drag since the other side isn't about the same...

Alignment's tricky sometimes. Ford's got these cars built in with a whole lot of preset 'don't need adjustment', so in stock form the car only needs toe. So that you have a slightly off thrust angle, in the 'correct' direction for your pulling, and the camber's off that side... seems like it's kinda obvious-ish.

Last edited by houtex; 7/16/14 at 06:06 PM.
Old 7/16/14, 07:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Jeez Hotex cover all basses why don't cha. Nice werk. I have found that most alignment shops won't even mess with camber because its a no adjustment from the factory. Which is why you see a lot of these cars wearing out the insides of the tires. I would swap the front tires to the rear and hopefully that will stop the wobble and it might even fix that pulling left problem. If not I would get some camber bolts and go back to the alignment shop.

Last edited by Glenn; 7/16/14 at 07:28 PM.
Old 7/16/14, 08:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
There is a tiny amount of bolt hole play in the upper mount tower. I know that because when Ford did the TSB for upper strut mounts I got my 05 back with the struts sitting in a different position as I could see the paint scratches from original nut position. So I repositioned them back. I'd take a look at the left strut tower where the four nuts tighten the upper strut to tower. If you can see scratch marks around each nut the strut has been moved at one point. Jack that side up to take weight off wheel, loosen the four nuts and pull the top strut away from the engine compartment toward left fender and try to keep upper strut pressure toward firewall not rad. Tighten nuts while holding strut in position. That may give you a "little" more positive camber and caster.
Old 7/17/14, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
You have a thrust angle that's throwing the car to the left, looks like, with a -0.14, and your camber is off on the left side by quite a bit. So you need a camber bolt on the left side, and either the frame's a little tweaked on the car, or you need adjustable lower control arms on the back to fix the thrust angle. What's been done to your car to make these numbers the case? Has it been hit? Or did you bolt on something? It's just numbers, and it may be that the camber and thrust angle isn't causing it, but on that sheet, those are the numbers that say "here it is." It could be that the total toe is fine, but the total toe angle is pointed to the left because there's some other issue, such as a tie rod end, or a rack, or a badly positioned steering wheel.... that sorta thing. I'm not sure if camber does much except, in that case, wear out the outer side of the tire. Although if there's added pressures, it could cause a drag since the other side isn't about the same... Alignment's tricky sometimes. Ford's got these cars built in with a whole lot of preset 'don't need adjustment', so in stock form the car only needs toe. So that you have a slightly off thrust angle, in the 'correct' direction for your pulling, and the camber's off that side... seems like it's kinda obvious-ish.

Yea I had got in a accident a whole ago and had gerber collision do my fixes.
Old 7/17/14, 08:14 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
There it is. You need to go back to them, or another frame shop, and see if they can tweak things back.

Or just get the adjustable rear lower control arms for the rear, and get a camber bolt or the caster/camber plates for the front (do both if doing the plates!) and that should get you fixed up.

---

Hehe, yeah, well, if somethin's worth doin', it's worth doin' right, Glenn.
Old 7/18/14, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by houtex
There it is. You need to go back to them, or another frame shop, and see if they can tweak things back. Or just get the adjustable rear lower control arms for the rear, and get a camber bolt or the caster/camber plates for the front (do both if doing the plates!) and that should get you fixed up. --- Hehe, yeah, well, if somethin's worth doin', it's worth doin' right, Glenn.

Cool thanks