2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang Lighting Solution..

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/15, 05:08 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mustang Lighting Solution..

I have Spec-D Tuning's projector headlights (from previous owner) and im tired of having some pretty terrrible lighting and while i know some people have put HID's in them they arent designed to do that and i wanna start over so to speak..

In your guys opinions, what headlights should i get? Been looking at different housings etc and can't decide.

Last edited by Fear; 3/7/15 at 05:10 PM.
Old 3/7/15, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
These.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-h...lack-0509.html

Do it...
Old 3/7/15, 05:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
I like the look but h9 bulbs (arent h9s basically foglight bulbs?... do you have these headlights?? Hows the visibility?
Old 3/7/15, 11:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Hm. This is very interesting... so... trying to find out things....

So far, I can tell you this: The stock H13 is a 55 watt low, 65 watt high lamp, and is meant for a single housing, hi/low beam setup.

The H9 is 65 Watt lamp, meant for a single beam system, and would be excellent in a projector system. It's a higher output lamp, so the projector will work better with it, and since the projector is only concerned with taking *all* the light and then using that big lens, it's pretty efficient, and the only concern is the brightness of the lamp inside the overall housing. LEDs can work but you have to have them positioned pretty well or you might get shadows/inconsistent pattern. HIDs or filaments would work the same, just shine on in the thing and poof, same pattern.

Unlike the reflector system as stock, where the shape, position, and orientation of the light's arc source makes a HUGE difference, and is why typically HID conversions are VERY poor in a filament system, as are LEDs. A reflector or fresnel lens housing is very precisely done to compensate for the light source's arc's physical attributes in the housing.

---

Which brings me to the question you put. As an H9 bulb is a single beam bulb, in this setup you might only get low beam, and you cannot have high beam.

o.0

I chatted just now with an AM representative, and he simply didn't know the aspects of a high beam or not, just that the H9 is indeed a high/low lamp (which would be right in, say, a Mark VIII or a four eye Mustang from '79-86, if they had bulb systems and not whole headlamps) but in this case... somethings not adding up.

I'm going to continue to pursue this thing 'cause it'll drive me up the wall not knowing. I want the black non smoked ones, but now... I'm debating that. They're $100 more than the SVE 'stock' ones, and/or I can just polish the ones I have now.

I can say that excepting the smoked ones, these housings in the chrome or black with clear covers are overall well received, and they do look pretty nifty. Still. I like my high beams, so... hm.

Maybe someone will come in and tell us what's what on that, but until then, I'mma keep diggin'. Let ya know if I find anything.
Old 3/8/15, 04:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
I know where you're coming from, I used to have an HID kit retrofitted into the stock reflectors and they did a terrible job lighting up the road ahead. I actually went back to Halogen until just yesterday when I just wrapped up installing a set of Saleen HID headlights. It's not going to be cheap, but see if you can find a set on eBay or something. I just picked up my set off eBay, and I'm really impressed with them so far. You can see from the pics below that they don't look weird like some other aftermarket ones can, and they do a pretty **** good job focusing the light:

Low beams

High Beams

Overall look
Old 3/8/15, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Hm. This is very interesting... so... trying to find out things....

So far, I can tell you this: The stock H13 is a 55 watt low, 65 watt high lamp, and is meant for a single housing, hi/low beam setup.

The H9 is 65 Watt lamp, meant for a single beam system, and would be excellent in a projector system. It's a higher output lamp, so the projector will work better with it, and since the projector is only concerned with taking *all* the light and then using that big lens, it's pretty efficient, and the only concern is the brightness of the lamp inside the overall housing. LEDs can work but you have to have them positioned pretty well or you might get shadows/inconsistent pattern. HIDs or filaments would work the same, just shine on in the thing and poof, same pattern.

Unlike the reflector system as stock, where the shape, position, and orientation of the light's arc source makes a HUGE difference, and is why typically HID conversions are VERY poor in a filament system, as are LEDs. A reflector or fresnel lens housing is very precisely done to compensate for the light source's arc's physical attributes in the housing.

---

Which brings me to the question you put. As an H9 bulb is a single beam bulb, in this setup you might only get low beam, and you cannot have high beam.

o.0

I chatted just now with an AM representative, and he simply didn't know the aspects of a high beam or not, just that the H9 is indeed a high/low lamp (which would be right in, say, a Mark VIII or a four eye Mustang from '79-86, if they had bulb systems and not whole headlamps) but in this case... somethings not adding up.

I'm going to continue to pursue this thing 'cause it'll drive me up the wall not knowing. I want the black non smoked ones, but now... I'm debating that. They're $100 more than the SVE 'stock' ones, and/or I can just polish the ones I have now.

I can say that excepting the smoked ones, these housings in the chrome or black with clear covers are overall well received, and they do look pretty nifty. Still. I like my high beams, so... hm.

Maybe someone will come in and tell us what's what on that, but until then, I'mma keep diggin'. Let ya know if I find anything.
Just to clarify, are you saying HID's in these lights (http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-h...oked-0509.html) would be a bad idea? And it would be better to just get LED bulbs? Also, do you happen to know the comparison between H1 and H9 bulbs?

Last edited by Fear; 3/8/15 at 09:29 PM.
Old 3/12/15, 07:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm with Cavero, I had the Saleen HID bulbs and now I have OEM (2008+) Ford HID headlights. Both the Saleen and the Ford lights are made by Valeo.

The PROS: Good beam pattern, they are made by a reputable company.

THE CONS: They are expensive. Color temp is 4300K (not bluish at all) Also, the design creates burns in the reflector from the hot HID bulb. My Saleens had the burned reflectors, and so do my OEM Fords. I think it's a design flaw.

The pix are my Saleens when new, and also the burned reflector. (pic on the right, bluish, smoke-like burn above the bulb shroud) EDIT: Yep, Cavero, yours are burned too, I can see it in the top pic.)

That being said, I still think the Ford/Saleen HID headlights are the best lighting option for the 'Stang. I don't care for the aftermarket headlights I see out there, they have glare and/or poor beam patterns, and they leak water (form condensation).

Just my $0.02.
Attached Thumbnails Mustang Lighting Solution..-hid-install-av4-9-.jpg   Mustang Lighting Solution..-saleen-hid-burns-4-.jpg  

Last edited by mrkabc; 3/12/15 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Noticed Cavero's burned HID
Old 3/12/15, 07:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Fear
Just to clarify, are you saying HID's in these lights (http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-h...oked-0509.html) would be a bad idea? And it would be better to just get LED bulbs? Also, do you happen to know the comparison between H1 and H9 bulbs?

Do NOT get LED headlight bulbs. They aren't ready for prime time yet. The LED headlight bulbs made by Lifetime LED/Bright A** LED tend to flicker and they burn out prematurely due to cooling issues.

In a few years, maybe. But not yet.
Old 3/13/15, 12:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Do NOT get LED headlight bulbs. They aren't ready for prime time yet. The LED headlight bulbs made by Lifetime LED/Bright A** LED tend to flicker and they burn out prematurely due to cooling issues.

In a few years, maybe. But not yet.
how much are the saleens? im seeing the $699 range? for that id rather have custom headlights from hms with a hid kit tbh..
Old 3/13/15, 07:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

how much are the saleens? im seeing the $699 range? for that id rather have custom headlights from hms with a hid kit tbh..
Yeah about that. The only other way besides factory HIDs that I've seen to get a good beam pattern is to do a projector retrofit. Those aren't as cheap as you'd think and they're a lot of work.
Old 3/13/15, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'm with Cavero, I had the Saleen HID bulbs and now I have OEM (2008+) Ford HID headlights. Both the Saleen and the Ford lights are made by Valeo.

The PROS: Good beam pattern, they are made by a reputable company.

THE CONS: They are expensive. Color temp is 4300K (not bluish at all) Also, the design creates burns in the reflector from the hot HID bulb. My Saleens had the burned reflectors, and so do my OEM Fords. I think it's a design flaw.

The pix are my Saleens when new, and also the burned reflector. (pic on the right, bluish, smoke-like burn above the bulb shroud) EDIT: Yep, Cavero, yours are burned too, I can see it in the top pic.)

That being said, I still think the Ford/Saleen HID headlights are the best lighting option for the 'Stang. I don't care for the aftermarket headlights I see out there, they have glare and/or poor beam patterns, and they leak water (form condensation).

Just my $0.02.
Yeah but to be honest, the stock housings (both H/L and fogs) did the same for me with the stock bulbs. I don't even notice unless I'm looking for it.
Old 3/13/15, 08:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
Yeah but to be honest, the stock housings (both H/L and fogs) did the same for me with the stock bulbs. I don't even notice unless I'm looking for it.

Oh, not knocking your purchase... I loved my Saleens until they were wiped out by a truck backing into me. The only difference between the Saleens and the OEM Ford is that the ballasts are actually integrated into the Ford headlight and the Saleens are not. Both are made by Valeo, which is an OEM supplier.

I didn't know the stock bulbs also burned the reflectors! I only had my stock lights a week or so after I bought the car, dumped them for the Saleen HIDs in 2005. Man, back then I paid $1499 for them!!! Times sure change.

Fear, I think you'll need to man up and get a real set of HIDs like ours (mine/Cavero's)
Old 3/13/15, 09:05 PM
GT Member

Oh, not knocking your purchase... I loved my Saleens until they were wiped out by a truck backing into me. The only difference between the Saleens and the OEM Ford is that the ballasts are actually integrated into the Ford headlight and the Saleens are not. Both are made by Valeo, which is an OEM supplier.

I didn't know the stock bulbs also burned the reflectors! I only had my stock lights a week or so after I bought the car, dumped them for the Saleen HIDs in 2005. Man, back then I paid $1499 for them!!! Times sure change.

Fear, I think you'll need to man up and get a real set of HIDs like ours (mine/Cavero's)
tempting but for $699 i can get these with a HID kit and have it look just how i want.. http://www.hidguymodshop.com/2005-20...or-headlights/
Old 3/22/15, 01:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

tempting but for $699 i can get these with a HID kit and have it look just how i want.. http://www.hidguymodshop.com/2005-20...or-headlights/

Not bad, I built priced a nice set there for about $590.
Old 3/22/15, 07:52 PM
GT Member

Not bad, I built priced a nice set there for about $590.
Old 3/24/15, 10:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK... so get them... get them...get them... waiting to see what they look like on your ride...