2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mustang guages on the Interior sports package

Search this Thread

Old 12/21/04, 07:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't flippin' matter whether or not the gauges are "true gauges" or not. They are supposed to come with IUP, and so is MyColor. The entire IUP package is for appearances, not performance, including the gauges.

Personally, for me, if they screw up IUP and I can't order with it, they've lost a customer.
Old 12/21/04, 01:58 PM

The oil pressure gauge on my t-bird is the only way I know when to add oil. When I make a right hand turn and the gauge drops to zero and then bounces back up, or if I come to a stop quickly and the guage dips I know it is a quart low. If the 4.6 continues to have the rear main seal leak it would be useful to have the gauge.
Old 12/21/04, 02:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Punchy@December 21, 2004, 4:01 PM
The oil pressure gauge on my t-bird is the only way I know when to add oil. When I make a right hand turn and the gauge drops to zero and then bounces back up, or if I come to a stop quickly and the guage dips I know it is a quart low. If the 4.6 continues to have the rear main seal leak it would be useful to have the gauge.
Have you tried the dipstick? Just check it each time you fill up.
Old 12/21/04, 02:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Punchy@December 21, 2004, 4:01 PM
Then you have a properly functioning OP gauge. A friend of mine in my Club has a 99 35th Anniv. GT. He installed an aftermarket mechanical OP gauge, using the nylon tubing and compression fittings at both ends. One day the end near the filter came loose, and the thing pissed out 4qts of oil, and the crankcase only holds 6qts. The factory "gauge" didn't even budge, not even the slightest amount. He then switched to an electrical aftermarket OP gauge, but you can see just how dependable the factory "gauges" are. In my old 96, I put in a real OP gauge, and simply grounded the wire going to the factory POS so it sat in the middle. A Saleen dual pod to house an OP and water temp gauge (with real numbers) will be among my mods when they become available.
Old 12/21/04, 02:15 PM
GT Member

I didnt get IUP and found myself wishing I did because of the 2 missing gauges but then I remebered my old 2003 Mustang had them and I never looked at them anyway. Nor do I care about my distance till empty in the msg center. That is what the freaking fuel gauge is for.
Old 12/21/04, 02:27 PM
V6 Member

I paid the extra $$$ to get the alu trim pieces. Have seen enough of black plastic, looks to cheepo. Msg center & extra gauges is nice to have. Can live without mycolor.
Old 12/21/04, 03:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by MTAS+December 21, 2004, 3:12 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MTAS @ December 21, 2004, 3:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Punchy@December 21, 2004, 4:01 PM
Then you have a properly functioning OP gauge. A friend of mine in my Club has a 99 35th Anniv. GT. He installed an aftermarket mechanical OP gauge, using the nylon tubing and compression fittings at both ends. One day the end near the filter came loose, and the thing pissed out 4qts of oil, and the crankcase only holds 6qts. The factory "gauge" didn't even budge, not even the slightest amount. He then switched to an electrical aftermarket OP gauge, but you can see just how dependable the factory "gauges" are. In my old 96, I put in a real OP gauge, and simply grounded the wire going to the factory POS so it sat in the middle. A Saleen dual pod to house an OP and water temp gauge (with real numbers) will be among my mods when they become available. [/b][/quote]
I once had a Ford Cortina GT with a factory mechanical oil pressure gauge (very high quality gauge it was too).

I often wondered what would happen if the gauge end of the plastic pipe had broken. It would have been quite a mess to clean up inside.

There is alot to be said for electic senders.
Old 12/21/04, 04:43 PM
GT Member

My oil pressure gauge works and I believe it is an accurate representation of the actual oil pressure. When I start the car in the morning the pressure goes well past straight up and as it warms up the pressure comes back into line at just past straight up. If I watch the needle as I hammer the throttle it jumps as well. It may not indicate exact pressure by lbs but to say it doesn't really work or that it is just for looks is just absolutely ridiculous.
Also to those who said they wanted to put their own gauges in instead. Please tell me you are talking about putting gauges in the dash where they belong and not to rice-out your beautiful new car with big old ugly gauges sitting on top of the dash or even worse somehow mounted on the pillar at the edge of the windshield. I would understand this type of set-up for a drag car but a street going daily driver shouldn't be violated with such nonsense.
Old 12/21/04, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

The gage and my color would be be nice but the real reason to order IUP is to allowed to get the side air bags. Does anyone know why they are doing that?
Old 1/8/05, 09:13 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,737 Likes on 2,027 Posts
I am starting to hate the IUP! Just due to all the negative vibe on it!
Old 1/8/05, 09:50 PM
Cobra Member

ragshockey-

I don't get why the MyColor is so important to you. It really is not THAT amazing. Sure it is fun, but I have it and it is nothing that special.
Old 1/8/05, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For me I the only reason I'd want IUP is for Message Centre and the ability to get side air bags. My personal opinion of "My Color" is that its simply a novelty.
Old 1/9/05, 10:14 AM
Cobra Member

ditto martimus. My reasons exactly, add to that the Aluminum trim.
Old 1/9/05, 10:27 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kluski+December 21, 2004, 7:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kluski @ December 21, 2004, 7:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-z71mudder199@December 20, 2004, 4:57 PM
What if your oil pressure suddenly drops, and you have no clue that its happening because Ford could not put 2 extra guages on all the cars!
Can't you watch your temperature gauge? If there was less oil won't the car run hotter? [/b][/quote]
Or there could be something wrong with your cooling system, fan out, low on coolant, bad water pump, ect... So watching the temp guage to see what's going on with the oil pressure is not a good way to go.