2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

MSD Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/14, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MSD Plugs?

Has anyone tried MSD iridium spark plugs part number 3716 in their 4.6 3V? Anyone know if these plugs have a one-piece body or are they crimped two-piece plugs like the OEM Motorcraft plugs?
Old 11/13/14, 05:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Not sure if they're one piece or not, but they cost almost as much as Brisk Racing Silver plugs and they are one piece.
Old 11/13/14, 04:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 05YellowGT
Not sure if they're one piece or not, but they cost almost as much as Brisk Racing Silver plugs and they are one piece.
What is the life expectancy of the Brisk plugs? How many miles are they good for? The MSDs are iridium and I assume they have a life expectancy similar to the two-piece OEM Motorcraft plugs. If the MSDs are one-piece, last as long as the OEMs and don't break when you try to remove them then they are worth every penny.
Old 11/15/14, 11:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From what I have read, Brisk plugs have a rather short life span. The one piece Champions are double platinum and therefore should last 100K miles.
Old 11/16/14, 05:35 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,696 Posts
IIRC, the brisk plugs are recommended to be replaced at 50k miles along with the autolite HT0 plugs.

If the MSD plugs are indeed a one piece design plug and last just as long as the Motorcraft OEM's ? I just may have to consider them as a replacement for my current HT0 plugs down the road
Old 11/18/14, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by blksn8k
What is the life expectancy of the Brisk plugs? How many miles are they good for? The MSDs are iridium and I assume they have a life expectancy similar to the two-piece OEM Motorcraft plugs. If the MSDs are one-piece, last as long as the OEMs and don't break when you try to remove them then they are worth every penny.
I spoke with a tech support rep from MSD today and was informed the plugs have a shorter lifespan over OEM plugs because they are a performance based spark plug designed for higher compression and ignition applications..

The bad news is..They don't last beyond 50k miles, but the good news however is.. They are indeed a one piece design plug..

If my car didn't require a one degree colder spark plug ? I would most definitely buy the MSD plugs in a heartbeat for sure..

Anyway, hope you'll find this as somewhat more helpful
Old 1/17/15, 08:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
I spoke with a tech support rep from MSD today and was informed the plugs have a shorter lifespan over OEM plugs because they are a performance based spark plug designed for higher compression and ignition applications..

The bad news is..They don't last beyond 50k miles, but the good news however is.. They are indeed a one piece design plug..

If my car didn't require a one degree colder spark plug ? I would most definitely buy the MSD plugs in a heartbeat for sure..

Anyway, hope you'll find this as somewhat more helpful
That's interesting since MSD's website has charts comparing their iridium plugs to plugs made from other materials including platinum which I assume is what the OEM Motorcraft plugs are made of. One of the charts shows that iridium has a much higher melting point.
In the FAQ section they also state that their plugs should be changed at the same interval as the OEM plugs.
They also state that this plug is NOT intended for high cylinder pressures but that it will withstand higher ignition voltage.
When I replaced the original Motorcraft plugs at about 90k I had three out of eight break and I followed the TSB. Fortunately, I had the Lisle removal tool so it was not that big a deal.
I replaced those with a set of Champions but had two of those fail after only about 2k miles. JUNK IMO. I then replaced those with a new set of Motorcrafts which have been in for about 20k with no problems. I am also using Accel coils which would seem to be a better match for the MSD plugs since they put out more voltage than the stock coils.
Since I don't trust leaving the Motorcraft plugs in long enough to have carbon build-up issues again I plan to install a set of MSD plugs in another couple of months.
Old 1/18/15, 09:21 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
awesome!!! I'll be getting after mine finally- I still have the new champions i bought years ago, in my opinion those pluge were the ****tiest quality ANYTHING ive ever seen... one wasnt threaded all the way(possibly woulda damaged the head if installed), most were welded crooked as heck, and a couple had metal shaving crimped under the seal... wrote federal mogul/sent pics, never heard back

MSD has pretty good stuff, Ill be checking out a set- im at 70k, expecting trouble, but you never know... glad somebody besides champion is making one piece- the brisk plugs look good, but would expect the iridium should last closer to the stockers
Old 1/19/15, 06:44 PM

If my 06 GT weren't FI ! I'd definitely get the MSD plugs in a heartbeat, but as previously noted, they're not recommended for high cylinder pressure applications

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/19/15 at 07:08 PM.