Search this Thread

Old 4/12/05, 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best defense is a good offense.
Old 4/12/05, 06:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan+April 12, 2005, 2:43 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan @ April 12, 2005, 2:43 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-1 BULLITT@April 12, 2005, 4:38 PM
I know I make a difference by being mature, disciplined, and responsible as all of you should be.

Lets be part of the team and keep those insurance profits high.

I agreed with you to such an extent, I just ramed my 05 into a pole. They think they don't have to pay out...... I showed them
[/b][/quote]
How did you end up doing that Dan! :scratch:
Old 4/12/05, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by doulos4JC@April 12, 2005, 5:31 PM
The best defense is a good offense.
My favorite saying!
Old 4/12/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Webba@April 12, 2005, 3:44 PM
$8000 a year for insuarance?? Are you getting yours through the mafia or something?? That is absolutely insane. You must have various speeding and OUI's to be that high.
Actually, I'm 25, an attorney, with no tickets in past 5 years, only put a few thousand miles on my car a year (living in NYC), and have had continuous insurance for 2-3 years. I'm told I live in the most expensive zip code in the nation - 11215. Try it (on websites) if you don't believe me - enter all your same info with just the zip code changed. Actually, I'd be interested to see what those results are, because I was only *told* this about the zip code, but can't be 100% sure. Still, apparently, there are a lot of thefts in the neighborhood where I live (it's a real nice neighborhood - Park Slope, Brooklyn, if you know it - across a park from some not-so-nice neighborhoods, and apparently we get a lot of visitors at night. I dunno.)

So, that, combined with my demographic - young, single male driving sports car - combined with already high rates for GT... Lowest quote I've gotten is $4,000/yr for BARE BONES insurance. About $8,000 for decent coverage. It's just crazy. Then again, everything is like that in NY. Parking spots are $300-500 a month. I pay $1500 a month for rent, and that's cheap, etc.

By the way, I now pay about $2,000 a year for a '93 chevy blazer with 154,000 miles that I drive maybe 1,000-2,000 miles a year. Kelly's BB values it at $3,900, which is high. So I'm paying more than 50% of the car's value - maybe as much as its real value - just in insurance. Suuuuuucks. But I'm not going to let a little thing like insurance get in the way of my GT...

I guess I'm lucky salaries are pretty commisurate with cost of living...

So anyone who wants to give me insurance advice - from ways to make it lower (like this GPS device), to good companies to go with - please let me know!
Old 4/13/05, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by ILikeBond+April 12, 2005, 10:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ILikeBond @ April 12, 2005, 10:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Webba@April 12, 2005, 3:44 PM
$8000 a year for insuarance?? Are you getting yours through the mafia or something?? That is absolutely insane. You must have various speeding and OUI's to be that high.
Actually, I'm 25, an attorney, with no tickets in past 5 years, only put a few thousand miles on my car a year (living in NYC), and have had continuous insurance for 2-3 years. I'm told I live in the most expensive zip code in the nation - 11215. Try it (on websites) if you don't believe me - enter all your same info with just the zip code changed. Actually, I'd be interested to see what those results are, because I was only *told* this about the zip code, but can't be 100% sure. Still, apparently, there are a lot of thefts in the neighborhood where I live (it's a real nice neighborhood - Park Slope, Brooklyn, if you know it - across a park from some not-so-nice neighborhoods, and apparently we get a lot of visitors at night. I dunno.)

So, that, combined with my demographic - young, single male driving sports car - combined with already high rates for GT... Lowest quote I've gotten is $4,000/yr for BARE BONES insurance. About $8,000 for decent coverage. It's just crazy. Then again, everything is like that in NY. Parking spots are $300-500 a month. I pay $1500 a month for rent, and that's cheap, etc.

By the way, I now pay about $2,000 a year for a '93 chevy blazer with 154,000 miles that I drive maybe 1,000-2,000 miles a year. Kelly's BB values it at $3,900, which is high. So I'm paying more than 50% of the car's value - maybe as much as its real value - just in insurance. Suuuuuucks. But I'm not going to let a little thing like insurance get in the way of my GT...

I guess I'm lucky salaries are pretty commisurate with cost of living...

So anyone who wants to give me insurance advice - from ways to make it lower (like this GPS device), to good companies to go with - please let me know!
[/b][/quote]

For $8000 / year, you should seriously consider "renting" a room in BFE NJ or PA for $300 or $400 a month to use as your address. I'm sure you could work out a deal with someone. Do you have any friends in the suburbs that you could "rent" from? At least that way you would be paying that money to a buddy instead of the insurance company.
Old 4/13/05, 07:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by SixtySix@April 12, 2005, 11:21 AM
I've always held the belief that having a more powerful car helps you get out of the way. It's already saved my butt once already.
I agree. Some of the highway entrances around my house have STOP signs. So you have to go from 0 to traffic speed real quick. So when are in my wifes little Cavalier with about 115 hp, I get real nervous.
Old 4/13/05, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

makes me a little worried about my insurance, my girlfriends from around park slope and your right your "neighbors" are the ones making your rates high.. i should be able to get cheaper than that though as i live in nassau by rockville center in a dead little town 26yrs old and 1 accident im 20% at fault on over 2 years ago
Old 4/13/05, 11:02 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by ILikeBond@April 12, 2005, 10:22 PM
...So anyone who wants to give me insurance advice - from ways to make it lower (like this GPS device), to good companies to go with - please let me know!
I'm not sure if there are any companies offering true GPS tracking to the general public, but I went with LoJack which seems to be the gold standard here in Cali.

Basically a small radio transmitter (the size of a deck of cards) is hidden in your vehicle. If you report it stolen to police, the transmitter is activated by LoJack and police agencies with LoJack monitors (most metro areas) can home in on your vehicle, hopefully before it is wrecked or stripped. I paid about $600 here in Cali, so it might be a grand in NYC. I'm thinking it might lower your rates by that much or more over time and is good to have anyway. More info at their website. Not sure if we are supposed to post URLs here, but just add .com to the name of the product and you're there.

BTW I stayed with State Farm which DOES NOT offer discounts for ABS, side air bags, alarms, LoJack (all of which I have). However they still offered me a better rate than others (Century 21, Progressive, Farmers, and more) some of who claim to discount for these things. My advice would be to ask others in your zip code with nice rides where they buy their insurance and how much they have shopped around. That should give you a head start as far as locating who is offering the best deals in your area.