2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Transmission Shifting Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/07, 01:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well as far as RPM's go, I absolutely in no way, shape, or form, care about saving gas. I drive slow if I feel like driving slow and drive fast if I feel like driving fast. If the exhaust is sounding good in 4th with the AC on and windows down at 65, I'll drive around like that for a while....My gas per month is nothing like my Starbucks and 7-11 expenses. I hate traffic so I live 5 miles from work against the flow of traffic.

Level ground park in neutral/e-brake, on hill reverse or first and e-brake. Winter I try to park on level ground(duh) and leave it in gear only when it goes below freezing with any kind of moisture on the road or in the air.
Old 6/25/07, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a lot of friends that only park in neutral with the ebrake, and when they get into my car or their own after i drive it, they always kill it cause they start it up and automatically dump the clutch cause they think they are in neutral....

i on the other hand always make sure its in neutral before starting the car... you would think that they would not have this problem because you have to have the clutch in to start it, and what do you do when you push the clutch in? you automatically go for the stick and play with the gears.. but they still end up killing it... duh

one time my friends wife almost drove right through the garage door, then tried to blame it on me for parking it in gear...
Old 10/11/07, 09:11 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
recently i have been driving without the clutch.

I use the clutch for first. but upshifts i just let off the gas shift out of gear and put pressure on the next gear. As soon as the rpm drops to the right place the shifter just slides right into the next gear.

To down shift i take shifter out of gear blip the throttle up and keep pressure on the next lower gear and then once rpm matches again it slides right in.

very easy done and no need to wear the clutch at all.

and of course this only works from street driving. you would never be able to do this for racing cause it would take forver to shift.
Knight I have tried your technique to shift to neutral when coming to a stop light. works pretty good. It seems like I can't pull it out when its in 5th gear. The point that it good to pull the shifter into neutral is around 20 mph. I haven't try the downshift or upshifting. just pulling into neutral. Do you have any pointers? Like when speed to pull the shift out for upshift/downshift? THanks