The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   2005-2009 Mustang (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/)
-   -   Manual Transmission Shifting Techniques (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f637/manual-transmission-shifting-techniques-423753/)

atomicskiier01 10/24/05 01:37 PM

I am new to the manual transmission and do not have a lot of experience driving with people who have had them. I got my '06 GT last Monday and I am doing just fine getting around in it, but I have a few questions about common techniques. Mind you, I am not trying to increase my 1/4 mile time or anything :D , these are just general questions about driving a stick shift.

1) If I am coming up to a red light and KNOW that I am going to have to stop do I: a) push the clutch in, go to neutral and coast (using the brake) to a stop? B) pull out of gear (without using the clutch) and do the same? or c) downshift to brake (I'm not really sure how to do this the right way)?

2) It seems like I am reving up way too high (3-4000 rpm) between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd when I just want to take off at a normal speed. As I'm going in between these gears, it feels like I am taking a lot of time between gears, and my car actually slows down between shifts instead of constantly accelerating. What can I do to help this

3) Finally, downshifting to accelerate? This sounds really fun, and I know it can give you a great boost of speed (i.e. 5th to 4th to pass someone) but I am too scared to try it :crying: Can someone explain to me the proper way to do this?

4) If I am just driving around, say, a parking lot real slow, I usually have it in 2nd? Is it normal for the car to be somewhat loud (whirring and such) when driving like this?

5) If I HAVE to drive in the snow (I kept my old 1996 cavalier for this reason, but just in case), will starting in 2nd gear help with traction and reducing the torque to the wheels?

Thank you for all of your patience and help with this topic.

JustAnotherDude 10/24/05 03:57 PM

Oh man, I do these things without even thinking about them, but I'll try to address your questions. These are my own thoughts, not necessary a 'best practice' in every case. ;) And another caveat, I don't have a Mustang, these are just general stick-driving reflections...

1) Approaching stops: If you have time, just lift your foot off the pedal and let the engine slow the speed...then clutch. I never shift gear until at a complete stop. (coasting in neutral will cause you more trouble if you happen to slip on the break pedal or get rear-ended) When stopped, kick in 1st gear and wait for the green light.

2) LISTEN to that beautiful engine working. You will learn at what rpm shifting works best. Running it into the red isn't catastrophic (more fun, actually) but usually it's alright to shift somewhere around 2,500 rpm. If you feel the nose drops or that the engine 'drowns', try shifting next time at a lower or higher rpm, respectively. Edit: This depends very much on the car... the more torque, the lower rpms can handle the shift. I recently drove a 126 hp Audi A3 - shifting below 4,000 rpm was pointless.

3) This is perfectly alright, especially in higher gears. Just as easy; clutch, shift down and MEET clutch with gas...then floor it. :P The meeting part is key, easy to notice and when you try you'll feel when the tranny starts 'working' again. You can always experiment and practice slow when no other cars are behind you, when you get the hang of it, it's a split second operation. Don't be scared when you hear the engine revving up,
just be determined.

4) Must be Mustang-specific in that case. Normally 2nd gear and really slow shouldn't be any trouble, but at so low rpms the engine may buck quite a bit in its fastenings.

5) YES. Here the monstrous torque of the Stang will work against you, but it should work. Just take it REALLY slow when releasing the clutch.

As for all stick-driving, just remember that once you get your left foot on the clutch, always let go of the accelerator. Meeting with gas goes when you *release* the clutch, never the other way around.

Hope it helps.

Boomer 10/24/05 04:01 PM

Good questions, I'd like to see how other people answer them too.

1) Coasting to Stop - depends on whether I see the light JUST turned red, or was red and might turn green.
If it JUST turned red, a lot of times I'll put it in Neutral and coast it (not a prefered method, but its cheaper to replace brakes than transmision parts. If its red and I'm coming up to it, I'll downshift to second in anticipation of the light turning green...if it doesn't... I clutch in and put it in neutral and wait for the light. Also if its anything longer than a 5-10 second wait, its better to put it in 'N' than to sit there in 1st with the clutch in....

2) I usually shift around 3-3500 so thats not so bad...but its probably the speed of your shifting thats causing you to decel too much. You don't have to be super quick though either.

3) Yes, you have to 'match your revs' depending on what gear your going into. If you don't meet gas/clutch... you'll decel and break your neck....and its PROBABLY not good for the tranny/clutch... :) be smooth :) its the key.

4) 1st and 2nd on this car are VERY jerky..again..you have to be smooth. too much gas too quick will cause the car to jerk violently in 1st/2nd and its NOT fun....
You may be hearing the gear/axle whine ... its normal :) I guess it depends on the RPMS. Are you like in second around 2500 or below? if so...its alright...

5) see above

Any other takers?

atomicskiier01 10/24/05 04:05 PM

Good tips so far guys, one of the questions that I was really interested in is wether or not you can pull out of a gear into neutral w/o using the clutch. Is this bad for the tranny?

Boomer, NICE AVATAR! It is one of my favorite movies and I watch it on Halloween day every single year.

Boomer 10/24/05 04:10 PM

Avatar: Thanks man...yeah I love the series...that and Hellraiser :)

Other question:
Yeah uh... DON'T DO THAT <slap>

Use the clutch for cryin out loud

There are points when you can shift without using a clutch....
I don't know them...and I most certainly don't want you to kill your tranny trying it....

JustAnotherDude 10/24/05 04:11 PM

Let's say it's not to recommend, since it will wear on the tranny. But not that much if you do it at the correct rpm (again; listen - feel).

Put it like this, be at standstill and rev up the engine, then let it slow down. Tug gently at the stick, and somewhere in the range you will feel that the resistance in the stick disappears. There, you can easily slip into neutral without too much wear and tear. But this is a bit tedious, easier to use the clutch. B'sides, you only do this at a stop anyway.

Race trannies have straight cogwheels (as opposed to the slanted of standard trannies), this allows for really quick shifting and can be done without the clutch completely. Same goes for motorbikes, on those the clutch is almost redundant. But, as said, standard trannies are made for use with the clutch.

gt6974a 10/24/05 08:13 PM

I put it in nuetral all the time and coast to a stop, saves clutch which someone already mentined.

I think the best way to learn to shift, is to shift at low rpm. Not the fun but you'll get the feel of when it is, an is not, appropriate to shift.

Best novice advice = shift with your heel (ankle) not your leg

clockworks 10/24/05 11:00 PM

1) I generally coast to a stop in neutral. If the light is long, I sit in neutral with the clutch let out. If the light is short (about to turn green), I keep the clutch pushed in. Depends on the situation.

2) You don't need to rev the engine between up shifts. When shifting from 1st to 2nd, just bring it up to a little over 3k rpm, take your foot off the accelerator, at the same time, step on clutch, shift, release clutch while at the same time press down on the accelerator to roughly the same position you were at before. Try to do those steps in one fluid motion.

I also noticed I was decelerating before I shifted to 2nd gear. Then I realized that I just wasn't giving enough gas...:) For the amount I pressed down, I though it would take it to a higher rpm than it did.

3) When you downshift, your rpms will be higher in the lower gear than the gear you downshifted from. Thus you should blip the throttle a little bit and raise the rpms some before letting off the clutch in the lower gear. I'm really bad about doing that. I usually just shift and drop the clutch with my rpms being way low. It doesn't feel good. There is a pretty heavy clunk as the synchros violently raise the rpms to match the lower gear, and there is very sudden, very brief deceleration. I'm always scared of overrevving is why I do this. Any tips anyone?

4) I find that driving slowly is 1st and 2nd is really clunky and I get that kinda grinding/whirring sound. I especially get it if I shift into 1st without giving it enough gas, or giving it enough gas, but then not enough right after I shift.

5) Buy 4.10 differential gears, they help a ton with snow driving...:D

P.S. Just kidding about 5, they do the opposite. I dunno anything about snow driving, I'm from Texas.

TexaStang 10/24/05 11:05 PM

Originally posted by clockworks@October 24, 2005, 11:03 PM
3) When you downshift, your rpms will be higher in the lower gear than the gear you downshifted from. Thus you should blip the throttle a little bit and raise the rpms some before letting off the clutch in the lower gear. I'm really bad about doing that. I usually just shift and drop the clutch with my rpms being way low. It doesn't feel good. There is a pretty heavy clunk as the synchros violently raise the rpms to match the lower gear, and there is very sudden, very brief deceleration. I'm always scared of overrevving is why I do this. Any tips anyone?

Well, I havn't had a chance to drive a manual GT yet, but my "interval" car until I get my GT is a 90' Miata. If you are going to over-rev, at least in the Miata, it simply won't let you downshift into that gear. I've been driving it for about a week, and have a good feel of what speeds I can downshift into what gears though. Doubt that helps, but that is my experience.

The Miata was the first manual I have ever driven. I will admit, the thing is fun, but thinking of the same experience with my GT is driving me bonkers.

cyoon 10/24/05 11:28 PM

When you're at a stop light, can you really put your car in first and just hold in the brake like an automatic?

Sonic Brew 10/24/05 11:54 PM

No, you have to hold the clutch in too. I've been told its best to leave the car in neutral at a light and only shift into gear when your ready to move.

thestoogeo 10/25/05 12:27 AM

If your not on dial-up click on the "Driving a Manual Transmission" link in my signature. I plan on having a page on my website about this also. I make sure the clutch is fully engaged before I stomp on the gas. I have yet to replace a clutch. Let me know what you think. It's about a 110MB zip file full of cool shifting videos done in an M5. Once my site launches you will be able to find it under the "Tips & Tricks" section.

Boomer 10/25/05 06:46 AM

hehe, Yeah if your stopped and in gear with the clutch out.... your engine will stall.

Its better on the clutch if you leave it in neutral at a light with the clutch out (foot off)
Like I said, if its a couple seconds, no biggie, but I usually do it any longer than a 5-10 second wait.
As soon as the other light turns yellow, then I put it in gear.
(this helps to give you enough time just in case you get the 'won't go into 1st properly' problem that occasionally happens')

If your downshifting approaching a light, lets say from 3rd to 2nd (don't downshift to 1st...unless you are going less than 5mph...(read your owners manual on that one....it'll damage the clutch)
If your going slower in 3rd (say around 1500-2000rpm), and your rpms jump say a couple hundred when you go to 2nd...no biggie...but if your doing 3000 rpm in 3rd, you can imagine what it would be in 2nd (4000ish)...that will break your neck if you just let it go without gas....

Its a feeling too..feel the car out....
Rules to remember
-don't slam out the clutch
-don't grind gears
-don't ride the clutch (some people still do this, and urkes me)
(**meaning, don't HOLD your foot on the clutch anticipating the next gear, while the car is in motion. Do the shift, remove foot off clutch.)

Rondosa 10/25/05 07:05 AM

Just bring it here and I'll show you how to drive it.

haha ok seriously.

Originally posted by atomicskiier01+October 24, 2005, 3:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomicskiier01 @ October 24, 2005, 3:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>1) If I am coming up to a red light and KNOW that I am going to have to stop do I: a) push the clutch in, go to neutral and coast (using the brake) to a stop? B) pull out of gear (without using the clutch) and do the same? or c) downshift to brake (I'm not really sure how to do this the right way)?[/b]

Depends...I usually leave it in gear or downshift one gear, press the brake and then when the RPMs reach close to 1000rpms, push the clutch in, brake to stop and then put the shifter in 1st and wait. Most of the time I just wait with the car in 1st (and normally no foot on the brake which I know is bad) but if I know the light will be long, I'll shift to neutral and let the clutch out.

Originally posted by atomicskiier01@October 24, 2005, 3:40 PM
2) It seems like I am reving up way too high (3-4000 rpm) between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd when I just want to take off at a normal speed. As I'm going in between these gears, it feels like I am taking a lot of time between gears, and my car actually slows down between shifts instead of constantly accelerating. What can I do to help this?
If you want to shift sooner, then just shift sooner. If you feel like you're revving up to 3-4000rpms, just make a point of watching the tach and shifting closer to 2000rpms (will be a slow drive!). This is just something that you'll get more coordinated at as you get more experience driving stick, and driving this particular car. When you shift, just try and make it a faster transition when you move the shifter sot hat the tach doesn't drop so much....regardless, when you shift, your car WILL stop accelerating a bit just because you're disengaging the engine from the wheels! How much you slow down though depens on how long it takes you to get from one gear to another.

3) Finally, downshifting to accelerate? This sounds really fun, and I know it can give you a great boost of speed (i.e. 5th to 4th to pass someone) but I am too scared to try it :crying: Can someone explain to me the proper way to do this?
This "boost" in speed only comes from your right foot, nothing else. You can get this from hitting the gas and staying in the gear you're in - the benefit of downshifting means that you're putting the RPMs in a "better range" for making power...it's works just the opposite from upshifting...nothing to be scared of. Just make sure that before you let off the clutch, hit the gas pedal a bit to bring the RPMs up so that you're not engine braking. Only way to learn is to try.

4) If I am just driving around, say, a parking lot real slow, I usually have it in 2nd? Is it normal for the car to be somewhat loud (whirring and such) when driving like this?
Yes, this car's tranny is noisy as slow speeds and low RPMs (which you'd be if you were driving around a parking lot in 2nd).

<!--QuoteBegin-atomicskiier01
@October 24, 2005, 3:40 PM
5) If I HAVE to drive in the snow (I kept my old 1996 cavalier for this reason, but just in case), will starting in 2nd gear help with traction and reducing the torque to the wheels?[/quote]

Starting in second should help...taking it easy on the gas will do the same thing...

I dunno - just get out there and do it - it's hard when you don't have people to show you but the best teacher in this case is practise. :nice:

kristina

King Cobra 10/25/05 07:17 AM

Hey Kristina,
It's good to see a girl know her way around a manual tranny.
Too many girls think that a stick is too hard, so they don't even try.

I know I've had my reservations of driving a stick everyday to work. But I am not intimidated by it either and think they are fun.

tw0scoops123 10/25/05 07:43 AM

Originally posted by atomicskiier01+October 24, 2005, 2:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(atomicskiier01 @ October 24, 2005, 2:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I am new to the manual transmission and do not have a lot of experience driving with people who have had them. I got my '06 GT last Monday and I am doing just fine getting around in it, but I have a few questions about common techniques. Mind you, I am not trying to increase my 1/4 mile time or anything :D , these are just general questions about driving a stick shift

1) If I am coming up to a red light and KNOW that I am going to have to stop do I: a) push the clutch in, go to neutral and coast (using the brake) to a stop? B) pull out of gear (without using the clutch) and do the same? or c) downshift to brake (I'm not really sure how to do this the right way)?[/b]

I just coast, saves more gas than downshifting.

Originally posted by atomicskiier01@October 24, 2005, 2:40 PM
2) It seems like I am reving up way too high (3-4000 rpm) between 1st & 2nd, 2nd & 3rd when I just want to take off at a normal speed. As I'm going in between these gears, it feels like I am taking a lot of time between gears, and my car actually slows down between shifts instead of constantly accelerating. What can I do to help this
Look in the manual:
2nd gear: 11 mph
3rd gear: 20 mph
4th gear: 30 mpg
5th gear: 40+mph

This mph shifts will optimize gas mileage and everytime you shift you will prolly be around 2k rpms so that will bring your RPMS down.

There's nothing scary about it. IF you want a smooth transition, make sure you match RPMs. Rev up the engine a little bit to about 2-3k rpms, the release the clutch into the lower gear. The faster you are going the higher the RPMs will be when you engage in a lower gear. OR if you have to do a quick lane change just make sure you're giving it a little gas while you downshift. Don't think aboutit too much. You won't kill your car.

Yes. Lower gears, the engine/car will be "louder".

5) If I HAVE to drive in the snow (I kept my old 1996 cavalier for this reason, but just in case), will starting in 2nd gear help with traction and reducing the torque to the wheels?
You can start in first just be real light on the gas, but you could start in second...just takes more gas to get going since there is less torque to get you going.

<!--QuoteBegin-atomicskiier01
@October 24, 2005, 2:40 PM
Thank you for all of your patience and help with this topic.
[/quote]

Rondosa 10/25/05 08:08 AM

Originally posted by King Cobra@October 25, 2005, 9:20 AM
Hey Kristina,
It's good to see a girl know her way around a manual tranny.
Too many girls think that a stick is too hard, so they don't even try.

I know I've had my reservations of driving a stick everyday to work. But I am not intimidated by it either and think they are fun.

thanks Mike - for me, manual tranny wasn't even a question....my last car was my first manual (had it for 5.5 years) and that was pretty much my only mandatory thing - it HAD to be manual because it was something i wanted to know how to do. fell in love with driving a stick and will never own an automatic car ever (unless i'm forced too for some reason!).

i do find that as well with most girls they're so wimpy :bang: ....i ALMOST had one of my best girlfriends convinced to buy a stick but she was worried she couldn't do it so decided to buy an auto. BOOOOOOO!

i learned on a Mustang GT and then tested out my skills on a Focus until i got the hang of it, then bought my last car. Mustangs are really easy to learn on :nice:

k

Boomer 10/25/05 08:40 AM

It was a love hate relationship with this car...
..it was my first manual

And I learned the day I picked it up...ON the car ...
i knew how it worked, but had to apply it to this car.

Now I'm ALMOST at a point of not thinkin about it...except downshifting...I still cringe, as I think the rpms have to be perfect, even though they don't....it comes with time

Personally I think everyone should learn standard... and I'm surprised at how many people that DO drive standard, don't really know it...

Mind you, you'll get better..or should..over time...
And just remember, don't get discouraged... you can't hit a perfect shift EVERY time...its all good :)

Just don't grind :D

racerx 10/25/05 08:52 AM

These are great tips.
How about this -
Pulling up or Backing out of the driveway or garage - ok to ride the clutch a little bit? A few seconds at the most.

atomicskiier01 10/25/05 09:02 AM

How about making a turn? Say I have been in 5th, then I push in the clutch and use the brake to go around the corner. As I'm turning, I'll put it into 3rd while the clutch is in, and then release the clutch when I'm ready to accelerate. This sounds like I'm "riding the clutch", which is know is bad. Am I correct?