2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Manual Trans Q's?

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/05 | 08:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Just a few questions about the standard transmissions. I test drove one, but only shortly and with only like 3 stops (darn hitting all the lights green!).

1. Clutch seemed pretty heavy, espically going from stop to 1st. Is this normal? 2-4 seemed to shift smoothly.

2. Going into reverse was a pain. With the short throws, I found myself hitting 4th too easily. Bad shifting on my part, or do I just need to push harder to get past the "stop" that I felt after FINALLY going to reverse.

3. Does having objects, such as bottles or cups, in the cup holders interfere with shifting?

Ummm I think thats it. I had a BLAST driving it, eventhough it was only a V6. Haven't driven a stick in a year or more, so I was proud I only killed it once (in 4th, thinking it was reverse). Stop to 1st was a little jerky, but oh well. Any input would be appreciated!

EDIT - not to hijack my own thread, but I want my new 'Stang to get the CDC Ducktail spoiler. Should I order WITH or WITHOUT the stock spoiler. I don't know how the CDC attaches and what-not...
Old 8/13/05 | 08:52 AM
I Have No Life

1- Clutch is very light on this car...considering its hyraulic assisted.
It gets heavier when you are tired though

2-The stop/lockout is there for a reason, do NOT force it. If you read the owners manual it tells you how to engage R...very simple.
You have to engage REVERSE by going left of neutral (this is so you can't accidently throw it in R from 3/4/5.
So if you are in N and want reverse, just push the shifter to the left, then all the way right and down...

edit: After re-reading if your not talking about the lockout...and just the notch prior...it should go in fairly smooth.....someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but R isn't synchroed on the tranny right?

3-Yes that is a complaint, they get in the way. But hint...the bigger holder has a false bottom (rubber piece) and goes deeper to help with larger thing (ie: waterbottles will give you no problem, but a big gulp will

Hope that helps
Old 8/13/05 | 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the reply Boomer. I was very tired when I test-drove the MT stang. Had just ran 2 miles 30 minutes prior! Had no clue about the reverse lock-out feature. Salesman should've said something instead of watching me fight with it.

Unfortunately, the objects in cupholder issue may sway me to buy an automatic. I don't take road trips without Mountain Dew as my co-pilot!

I think what I'm gonna do is go BACK to the lot with my co-pilot, and test drive both the AT and MT again, with my Dew (or Dews if the fiancee is with me) in its (their) respective spot(s).
Old 8/13/05 | 09:53 AM
I Have No Life

Yeah a 500ml bottle of MD should fit alright in the larger cup holder...
won't interfere TOO much.
The front one..forget it...put change or something in there..a drink REALLY gets in the way of shifting.

I'd go Manual..but its personal choice.
I had the same setup as you before... 02 V6 Mustang auto...
I love the manual now...but it was bad in the beginning...love/hate.
As it is my first manual car.
Old 8/13/05 | 10:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member

just get one of those holder that goes on the door. Make sure its a bottle of dew with a cap tho! This way the A/C vents keep the pop cold!

Unless the door panels are too thick for the door holders.

Sure glad I have switched to bottled water as my main drink. Pop will never be in the car.
Old 8/13/05 | 11:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

The cup holders are really only an issue if you're driving in city traffic. Once you're on the highway in 5th, no problem at all.

The slip-on window-mount cup holders are a great idea though for long trips... I had completely forgotten about those.

IMO it's not a big enough issue to switch over to an auto because of. If you really want an auto, that's fine, but don't let the cup holders decide it for you.
Old 8/13/05 | 11:13 AM
Bullitt Member

I do most of my driving in the city. That is another thing pushing me toward auto. However, shifting seemed easy during my test drive. One kill is pretty good considering I drive a manual maybe once a year!

But then again... snow is a big factor. I'm a southern boy, not used to driving in the snow AT ALL. I'm afraid of the bad things that could happen to my baby in the snow, manual or auto. Though I hear driving in the snow with an auto is easier than with a manual.
Old 8/13/05 | 11:22 AM
I lust for a M24

If you're getting the CDC DT you will need spoiler delete. It attaches to the BACK of the luggage lid, not the top.
Old 8/13/05 | 01:35 PM
Cobra Member

OOO i didnt even think about that..makes sense easier to drive auto in the snow due to just letting off the brake to get going without using gas
Old 8/13/05 | 04:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Mine was stubborn when it was new, it broke in and is smooth as can be. I felt it a bit heavy too because I hadn't driven a stick since my Ranger, but when you get used to it you'll see how light and easy it'll all get with a few miles.
Trust me it won't dissapoint as a daily driver
Old 8/29/05 | 03:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Check out the ultimate cup holders. I use them in my BMW and they are great. I'm not sure if they will work right in the mustang. They hold drinks well under hard cornering and extreme braking. I use them to hold my sunglass case when there isn't a drink in them. I have one on each side of my center console near the seat. I hope they fit the mustang. Let me know if you decided to try them out. Here is a link:

Ultimate Cup Holders

Old 8/29/05 | 06:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Check out the ultimate cup holders. I use them in my BMW and they are great. I'm not sure if they will work right in the mustang. They hold drinks well under hard cornering and extreme braking. I use them to hold my sunglass case when there isn't a drink in them. I have one on each side of my center console near the seat. I hope they fit the mustang. Let me know if you decided to try them out.
Did they stop putting them in the consoles at the factory? :scratch:
Old 8/29/05 | 06:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by thestoogeo@August 29, 2005, 7:16 PM
Check out the ultimate cup holders. I use them in my BMW and they are great. I'm not sure if they will work right in the mustang. They hold drinks well under hard cornering and extreme braking. I use them to hold my sunglass case when there isn't a drink in them. I have one on each side of my center console near the seat. I hope they fit the mustang. Let me know if you decided to try them out. Here is a link:

Ultimate Cup Holders

Looks like some likes to Drink and Drive!!

AD:

"Now when a cop pulls up just put your brew in this nifty Ultimate Cup Holder!"
Old 8/29/05 | 08:58 AM
Banned

You guys think that the 05 clutch is heavy???
You guys should feel my 04 Mach 1
Now thats heavey
Old 8/29/05 | 09:17 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Blk'05@August 29, 2005, 6:46 AM
Looks like some likes to Drink and Drive!!

AD:

"Now when a cop pulls up just put your brew in this nifty Ultimate Cup Holder!"

Old 8/29/05 | 09:36 AM
GTR Member

You people cant possibly think the 05 has a heavy clutch, drive a terminator, thats heavier yet..
Old 8/29/05 | 12:45 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

You take the false bottom out of the second cup holder, it'll eat a bottle of Mountain Dew.

I have found neither location gets in my way too much though. At least, not for "casual" driving.