2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Man, I'm glad I'm not THAT guy...

Search this Thread

Old 9/4/05, 10:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I was out getting my oil changed Saturday at the dealership and this guy is walking with a salesman talking about the new Mustang. Of course I'm hovering around this new Tungsten (I don't see what the problem is with that color, it is ) and listening in. As they are walking up, the sales guy asks what color he is looking for. Lol, come on, like you have a CHOICE if you are just walking the lots? "No black, no red" is his response. "Oh, look here we have two silver one's" the salesman responds. I refrained from responding "NO dummy, you have a Tungsten coupe and a Satin vert", I kept my mouth shut.

So as they are looking around, "why does this one only have 2 headlights?" Oh good Lord, just hand the guy your checkbook now please, don't waste any more time here. And we wonder why there are markups over MSRP to this day. Unbelievable.

Now granted, not everyone is like most of YOU people. You know, desperately checking the forums several times per day, can recite their order number, VIN, build date and option codes and pricing for their car. (Man you people make me sick ) But I really think the general buying public should have some education when it comes to looking for a car. Oh well, I guess it keeps the economy going right?

BTW, I'll be checking the forum again in 20 minutes so I hope to receive a response. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy ripping out my back seat looking for my build sheet so I can frame it along with my DORA and pdf copy of the 2005 order guide. Wait a minute, I'm one of YOU guys. Oh crap. :bang:

Sean
Old 9/4/05, 10:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 9/4/05, 10:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

If there were more of us...there wouldn't be as many dealerships as there are today.

Educated buyers are a dealership's worst fear.
Old 9/4/05, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea my dealer didn't even know what options he was writing down, I just handed him the order codes.

Oh...

I saw a V6 badged as a GT at my dealer when I was gettin my car looked at... I asked the manager if he was responsible for the "fake GT" and he said yes... So I asked why he would put GT badges on a V6 and he was like "what? where do you see that?" So I pointed out the car and he scurried away like I wasn't there.
Old 9/4/05, 10:41 PM
GT Member

I have a feeling this guy is not worrying about the price, he just wants the Mustang.

I'm suprised the dealer didn't say, here we have 2 silver GT's, the one with the fog lights is a special edition, therefore we have a 6k markup on it.
Old 9/4/05, 10:41 PM
FR500 Member

Well, I thought everybody knew the ones with two headlites are a limited edition. They're only going to make fifty of those. Be a collectors item as soon as you drive her off the lot!
Old 9/4/05, 11:12 PM
V6 Member

i saw a v6 with a complete gt bodykit and emblems and bullit rims, i looked in the back and noticed 1 exhaust, i cringed and laughed.now if that was from the dealership that would be more than a gt or just abut the same, and if sombody did that their stupid because for all that they could have gotten a gt for cheaper
Old 9/5/05, 12:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

New for 2006, GT appearence package $2,600. Limit 1 (one) per person.
Old 9/5/05, 01:18 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Have I ever told you guys I hate salesmen?
Old 9/5/05, 01:19 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Oh, almost forgot...

I HATE SALESMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9/5/05, 02:41 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@September 5, 2005, 6:41 AM
Yea my dealer didn't even know what options he was writing down, I just handed him the order codes.
same here...

oh, and I did the same thing when I ordered my previous car, too
Old 9/5/05, 05:42 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a friend who plays dumb to see if they shoot straight.
Maybe that was him. Tall goofy looking guy with a cowlick?
No wait...that was me!!
Old 9/5/05, 06:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Man, if I was selling cars I would sure get educated on the Mustang; that seems to be Ford's bread and butter right now.

Bob, I have played that same game when shopping for hi-def televisions. I am a local television producer, and know the ins and outs. Went to a local hi-end store, and you know what?

The salesperson knew their stuff and played it COMPLETELY straight with me down the line. I was completely impressed.

Now if we just had more folks like ISELLFORD, BEK355 and the other professionals on the boards here. . .
Old 9/5/05, 07:08 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These people are SERIOUSLY badging V6s as GTs and selling them to unsuspecting buyers???

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

(we really need that one smilie flipping the BIRD for this one....)
Old 9/5/05, 07:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts
Actually for dealerships badging V6's as GT's ---> and
Old 9/5/05, 07:51 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 4, 2005, 10:32 PM
If there were more of us...there wouldn't be as many dealerships as there are today.

I would rather have an educated buyer ANY day of the week. it would make my job SOOOOOO much easier since I would not have to spend half the day educating him or her. Plus the un-educated buyer wants to play the sales game and no matter what price you show him, even invoice, he wants a better deal so you spend hours and then he says I'm going to shop anyway.

An educated buyer knows what he/she wants, knows what he/she wants to pay which makes things so much easier. We can spend more time going over the vehicle and hopefully showing him/her a few things they did not know, then paperwork, and done. Saves everyone a LOT of time and effort. Makes for a happier customer which in turn leads to more referrals for me. That's how to grow your business.
Old 9/5/05, 08:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Whenever I see the above happening I always step in and say something. "Hey, thats the new Mustang, did you know the GT has a dual exhaust and fog lamps." Stuff like that, it depends on what they are talking about. I've actually had the salesmen walk away as I tell the customer about the car.
Old 9/5/05, 10:16 AM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by Ford05MustangGT@September 4, 2005, 11:32 PM

yep and thats why my dealer was speechless when they admitted to me that an 18 year old high school kid knew more about a car than they did... :worship:
Old 9/5/05, 10:16 AM
Bullitt Member

I did the "build and price" thru the Ford site and emailed several dealers. One came back telling me how he didn't have a GT (even though I already knew this, I wanted to order) but he did have a V6 with"the GT appearance package". I chuckled at what the heck he was meaning.

A few days ago we stopped by that dealer just to see what they had and apparently the email was describing the Pony package they had on one of their cars.
Old 9/5/05, 01:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

As they say, Let the Buyer Beware. Its unfortunate that when you get an excellent salesperson who knows their stuff, it comes as a surprise and now more often - a shock. Its hard for me to understand that when you are going to buy something which is probably the most expensive item you ever will next to a home that you don't do your homework.

Quick Reply: Man, I'm glad I'm not THAT guy...