2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Man dies after Mustang plunges from parking garage

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/07, 10:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People were saying that these walls should have been reinforced, blah blah.

No, it was the guy's fault. You don't hit a wall and walk away without any consequences. Unfortunately, in this case he died. If he had a medical issue, he shouldn't have been driving, he could have injured a lot more people than just himself. And if he is simply an idiot, same thing.
Old 6/14/07, 11:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
yeah but with the top doen check behind the rear seats their are 2 "bumps" that bars pop out of on all verts in the us after the yr 89 they are as high as the windshield.
There are no bars in our convertibles. Don't know what you are talking about. It isn't mandated either.

SOME manufacturers install them, (like Mercedes) but not Ford! If we roll our verts we are DEAD.
Old 6/14/07, 04:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Maybe he was backing up a bit, then he decided to leave a little rubber, but forgot he was in reverse. I guess that will be his secret.
Old 6/14/07, 04:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Say what you will, but I'd rather take a roll in a coupe than a vert any day..
Old 6/14/07, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shea
People were saying that these walls should have been reinforced, blah blah.

No, it was the guy's fault. You don't hit a wall and walk away without any consequences. Unfortunately, in this case he died. If he had a medical issue, he shouldn't have been driving, he could have injured a lot more people than just himself. And if he is simply an idiot, same thing.
Pretty stiff consequence. IMO, 100% of the blame should not be assigned to the victim. Come on... a parking garage 5 stories up, and the only thing between hundreds of cars moving in and out of parking spaces daily is a cinder-block wall? No parking curbs? No steel pipes/bars between parking cars and a cinder-block wall? We'll never know if this was mechanical or driver error... either way, this is pretty tragic. Imagine what was going through his mind those last 5 seconds.
Old 6/14/07, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
Say what you will, but I'd rather take a roll in a coupe than a vert any day..
I don't think that being in a coupe would have saved this guys life based on the distance the car fell.

In regard to verts, you can survive a roll over in those cars as well.
we responded to this roll over accident several years ago (99/04 Mustang GT vert) and found no patient. The helicopter was searching the area for a patient and couldn't find anyone.

Turns out it was a stolen car and apparantly the thief decided to take the car on a high speed run in the mountains, lost control and rolled.
Attached Thumbnails Man dies after Mustang plunges from parking garage-big-tujunga-1.jpg   Man dies after Mustang plunges from parking garage-air-5.jpg  
Old 6/14/07, 05:32 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Mike McRann
I don't think that being in a coupe would have saved this guys life based on the distance the car fell.

we responded to this roll over accident several years ago (99/04 Mustang GT vert) and found no patient. The helicopter was searching the area for a patient and couldn't find anyone.

Turns out it was a stolen car and apparantly the thief decided to take the car on a high speed run in the mountains, lost control and rolled.
I agree, Mike. I was referring to rollovers in general, and yes, you can survive one in a vert, but I'd guess the odds aren't as great.

Anyhow, how ya doing, man? Any cool hangouts this weekend? Irwindale was a BLAST! I keep watching those videos over and over!
Old 6/14/07, 05:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark S.
No more parking near the outer walls for me...I'll stay in towards the center of the parking garage...I remember this happening to 4 elderly women in Virginia Beach about 5 years ago...they determined that the outer wall did not have the extra steel reinforcements in it which would have prevented such a tragedy...I would imagine the same happened in this particular incident.
Has it been that long? Man, how time flies
Old 6/14/07, 08:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rebel73
I agree, Mike. I was referring to rollovers in general, and yes, you can survive one in a vert, but I'd guess the odds aren't as great.

Anyhow, how ya doing, man? Any cool hangouts this weekend? Irwindale was a BLAST! I keep watching those videos over and over!
Hey Rob
Havn't heard of anything coming up this weekend, and I'm working Sunday. In regard to Irwindale and the videos...I've been watching them alot at home, but for some reason my laptop doesn't like those two videos...they stop right at the begining, yet all other You Tube Videos work fine
Old 6/14/07, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Mike McRann

So...you're saying you NEVER found the guy?

Yikes!

Surviving a roll in a vert is entirely possible. It's all dependant on HOW the car rolls. It's not uncommon for a car to roll with the roof never touching the ground. Do a GIS of Joey Hand's crash in his M3 at Mid Ohio and you'll see a perfect example (excepting the fact that the car ultimately came to rest on its roof). Now a dead drop from any significant height is a totally different story. I think you'd be screwed no matter what you were driving from that height.
Old 6/14/07, 09:56 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by zaghloul
Whoa!! I never knew I had that on my vert. How is it activated? and how strong can it be given that it will extend mechanically?
Sensors. when the vehicle is at 30-40 degrees or so they activate.
Old 6/14/07, 09:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2k5GTC
WRONG !!!! Just where do you get your information?? The 2 "bumps" are the rear seat headrests. Trust me. I have had my entire back seat and trunk area torn apart. No such thing as roll bars hiding under some bumps.
From Hurst who makes the jaws of life systems used world wide. they have to be there per the govt. Government mandated.
Old 6/14/07, 10:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RobK
So...you're saying you NEVER found the guy?

Yikes!

Surviving a roll in a vert is entirely possible. It's all dependant on HOW the car rolls. It's not uncommon for a car to roll with the roof never touching the ground. Do a GIS of Joey Hand's crash in his M3 at Mid Ohio and you'll see a perfect example (excepting the fact that the car ultimately came to rest on its roof). Now a dead drop from any significant height is a totally different story. I think you'd be screwed no matter what you were driving from that height.
Nope, never found the driver of the car. We had LACoFD, USFS Fire and Sheriff's on scene searching for the driver both by ground and air. We figured that the driver must have been picked up by someone passing by the scene and given him a ride.
Old 6/14/07, 10:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Sensors. when the vehicle is at 30-40 degrees or so they activate.

dude, I hate to say it but your on crack.
Old 6/15/07, 03:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Well I don't know what DynamicmustangGT is on, however I found this info:

Verts are made stronger to compensate for the missing roof, and are thus safer at non-rollover accident. The A-pillar is a lot stronger than the coupe and will save you from decapitation better in the event of crashing into the back of a truck (especially one without the T-bar). Also the vert has a lower center of gravity and is harder to flip over.

Here is a comparison of the coupe vs vert safety ratings.

2005 Ford Mustang 2-DR Crash Test Ratings
Frontal Impact - 5
Frontal Impact - 5
Side Impact - 4
Side Impact - 7
Rollover Resistance Rating - 5

2005 Ford Mustang Convertible Crash Test Ratings
Frontal Impact - 8
Frontal Impact - 8
Side Impact - 8
Side Impact - 8
Rollover Resistance Rating - 8

Ofcourse nothing would have helped in an accident like this.

*source ( http://www.automallusa.net/2005/ford...g/ratings.html )
Old 6/15/07, 06:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

From Hurst who makes the jaws of life systems used world wide. they have to be there per the govt. Government mandated.
Old 6/15/07, 06:39 AM
Cobra Member

They DO exist on other cars, but not the Mustang.
Old 6/15/07, 06:42 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics

Even if you win you're still retarded
Old 6/15/07, 09:50 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by dustindu4
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics

Even if you win you're still retarded
Posting lame internet quotes is... :gay:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...n+the+internet

: rofl2:
Old 6/15/07, 10:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Dynamicmustang is a fire chief where he lives so I would think he does know more than the average guy about that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Man dies after Mustang plunges from parking garage