2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking for Max MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 6/8/10, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Somewhat hypothetically of course! I've been thinking about this for some time now. I think I can get 30+mpg's out of the my 06 to work and back. I am getting 20. something right now. I figured I would start at the front of the car and work my way back.
With that said what would be the best front bumper cover to have. I have a roush right now and with those bigo holes in there I think its just catching to much air. So cover the holes or get a different cover? Would a splitter help at all? how much of a difference in mpg's do you think a different cover would make?

furture thoughts
under drive pullies
intake and tune
exhaust
drive shaft
gears
lighter wheels

You need this without a doubt. Don't ask any more questions and just do it!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R1-PE...item335cfcc344
:sti rpot:

I'm just yanking your chain!

The biggest thing you can do is drive 55-60mph. Remember the federal goverment imposed that speed to save fuel way back in 73 Emergency Highway Energy Conservation Act shown here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis

The first thing I did to my car was an intake and a tune. That did seem to give me about a mile to mile and a half improvement in my gas mileage. Also think of a tune telling your car to run more efficently. BTW, wasn't it Chris with Tillman that had a fuel saver tune.

The next change was going to a fully synthetic motor oil. In my case it was mobile 1 synthetic. that improved things about a mile per gallon.

After these upgrades, I could get about 24.5 mpg with mostly stop and go and a little bit of 75mph.

Keeping the car under 2k when shifting helps some. Driving with the aid of the fuel consumption meter helps. The biggest thing I do is coast to all stops. If I see traffic up ahead, neutral it goes for me. No sense in hurrying up to stop, right? I asked my tuner about the injectors turning off when you coast in gear and he said it does not. However, when the rpm's are dropping the injectors are indeed off.

I don't know if the gears would help unless you do a lot of hwy driving and you go to a 3.31 or less gear. 4.10 seem to only help in the city, and it significanly dropped my mpg by like 3. Now I have hotrod cams and I'm down to less then 18mpg

As far as front bumpers, I don't think they designed them to be more aerodynamic

Also, lightening the load of the car will help always. You are basically freeing up power. Also, I wonder if removing the cats would help, since the engine can breathe easier.

My final thought on the matter is this:
Reset your mpg gauge. Afterwards, drive a certain speed like 70mph for a long ways. At least till the mpg seem to level off. Way back when my car was stock, @75 mph, the best my car would attain is 28.2 mpg (3.55 gear). Now with all my mods, it's more like 22mpg.

Oh yeah, you can do under drive pullies intake, tune, and drive shaft for around $1500. Let's divide that by $3 a gallon and you would need 500 gallons for it topay for itself if you save a mile per gallon and on that special occasion, a bigger smile on your face!

Last edited by gremlin190; 6/8/10 at 08:12 PM.
Old 6/9/10, 01:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remove rear seats, sub box in trunk if you have it, passenger seat if its only you. Extra weight is wasted gas. And these are free. Loook at the drag racers pulling off inner fender wheels, carpeting, stereos etc...
Old 6/9/10, 03:55 AM
V6 Member

31.0 is the best i've seen with only an axle back on a road trip. Got 30 and 29 several times to work at back after a emailtune...48 miles one way. That was with 3.31's....won't see that anymore with the 4.10's and the heavy wheels..best i've gotten since was 26.6.
Old 6/9/10, 11:56 AM
Bullitt Member

This is a great thread and I'd like to see any future postings of mileage figures done by hand - miles driven divided by number of gals.- I don't trust the onboard computers.
Old 6/9/10, 12:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by fdjizm
The most I've gotten was 29.3 MPG all I have is a C&L racer kit and bama tune. you're right foot makes a big difference, cruise control all the way to work...

That was just to see what I got, I didn't buy a v8 mustang to save on gas so I'm not really concerned but impressed
That is awesome!.
Old 6/9/10, 12:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by citizen arcane
This is a great thread and I'd like to see any future postings of mileage figures done by hand - miles driven divided by number of gals.- I don't trust the onboard computers.
They are more accurate than you think, they know how much fuel they are using, they calculate for idling at a stop light, etc...
Old 6/9/10, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This is the best I ever got!

I think putting in some 2.73 gears would help greatly but you would loose a lot of get up and go. My fox with 2.73's runs at 1500rpm's at 65mph.
economy or acceleration...always a trade off.
Old 6/9/10, 07:11 PM
V6 Member

After 271 miles so far on that tank...it ended up being 31.0 when i filled up and did the division.

Old 6/10/10, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by iBookmaster
It's only a matter of time when we talk mpgs on a Mustang forum before you get the crowd that says "get a honda or toyota". Really helpful to this thread isn't it? .
I don't think so. Majority of the people here are mods for smiles, not mods for extra mpgs. Get a 2011 V6, performance and fuel economy.

Yes, mods that shoot for gas mileage also give extra horsepower ... .
Hu? which ones?

Driving 55-60 mph on a destination is so much more enjoyable drive than zipping as fast as possible to save a half hour on the trip. ... Unless you take a 5 hour trip or more, you don't save that much time by driving faster.
So, taking a 270-mile trip @ 55mph will take you 5 hours. Driving 80mph will take you 3 1/2 hours. That's not saving time? I'm confused.
Old 6/10/10, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
I don't think so. Majority of the people here are mods for smiles, not mods for extra mpgs. Get a 2011 V6, performance and fuel economy.
I had a 2007 V6 Mustang and didn't get as good mpgs as I do with my V8. But, I lived in a different area and didn't do nearly as many long trips as I have with the V8.

Hu? which ones?
Intake & tune, lighter driveshafts, underdrive pullies. Brenspeed told me that any mod that you install on your car that reduces the weight or exertion on the car will give better gas mileage.

So, taking a 270-mile trip @ 55mph will take you 5 hours. Driving 80mph will take you 3 1/2 hours. That's not saving time? I'm confused.
Nice time savings I guess. That's not figuring in congested traffic slow downs, stop lights, stopping for eating, stopping for restrooms, non interstate slower roads, getting behind school buses and any other things that might slow you down. The point is even at 80 mph, most can't keep the constant rate of 80 mph even on interstates. Of course the extra 1.5 hours in the Mustang is Mustang lover's bliss so, why the rush? To make it relevant to this thread (we are talking about getting better gas mileage in this thread), at 55 mph I can get up to 34 mpg and if I drive something like 80 mph, I get 25 mph or under. That's the real savings.
Old 6/10/10, 10:38 AM
Cobra Member

Intake & tune, lighter driveshafts, underdrive pullies. Brenspeed told me that any mod that you install on your car that reduces the weight or exertion on the car will give better gas mileage.
You said that "mods that shoot for gas mileage"... I can't think of anyone - that I've read in this forum and others - that has done the above mods for better gas mileage. I could be TOTALLY wrong though.
Old 6/10/10, 11:51 AM
GT Member

I don't think anybody here is TOTALLY wrong at anything that's been said. Maybe I should have reversed how I said it. Instead of saying:

Yes, mods that shoot for gas mileage also give extra horsepower so, they are great dual purpose mods and will more than pay for themselves if you keep the car a long time.

maybe I should have said:

Yes, mods that shoot for extra horsepower also give better gas mileage so, they are great dual purpose mods and will more than pay for themselves if you keep the car a long time.

Partly sunny or partly cloudy? Doesn't matter does it? After all, this thread is about looking for max MPGs. I forgot to mention one of my mods in the mods that help get better gas mileage....my Granatelli MPG Coil Packs. I can't say for sure which mods have done the best for getting better gas mileage but, combined they all have helped me get great fuel economy. The one thing that has hurt my MPGs is my Goodyear Assurance Comfortred tires. I noticed a 2-3 mile per gallon drop on the first tank after they were put on. But, I wanted the quietness and comfy ride they give so I didn't mind sacrificing a little.
Old 6/10/10, 12:03 PM
Cobra R Member

Have you checked this out yet?
http://sctflash.com/Economizer.php
Old 6/10/10, 03:49 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an easy 1, never fill your gas tank past 1/2 way. I noticed I get 1-2 better mpg because of the reduced weight.
Old 6/10/10, 04:47 PM
GT Member

Have you checked this out yet?
http://sctflash.com/Economizer.php
I notice you have 3 tunes. Which one seems to give you the most power and best MPGs? Thanks for the heads up on the Economizer SCT Flash.
Old 6/10/10, 04:56 PM
Cobra R Member

I notice you have 3 tunes. Which one seems to give you the most power and best MPGs? Thanks for the heads up on the Economizer SCT Flash.
Strangely enough, my bama performance tune has been the most efficient on my car also the most powerful at the track, though tillman, and BBR racing is right up there with bama.
BBR has the low end torque the bama race tune lacks (which is fine since it's a race tune), tillman all-out is just quick to rev all over the powerband but can ping depending on the weather because it's right there on the edge.

I use the BBR tune as my daily driver, bama and tillman tune for the track, Didn't test the BBR at the track yet.

in summary the bama performance tune gave me the most MPG on the way to work. (there is no short way to describe my tunes and how I use them lol)

Last edited by fdjizm; 6/10/10 at 04:57 PM.
Old 6/11/10, 12:49 PM
GT Member

I just filled up after a round trip of about 350 miles then the remainder of the tank of gas in my local area. The digital MPG readout was actually 35.6 when I got home from the trip. When I figure the MPGs by hand, I used 13 gallons exactly and traveled 417.3 miles. That comes to 32.1 actual miles per gallon. Once again my digital MPG reading showed about 2 MPG worse than it actually is. After driving in my local area and not all driving being hwy, it pulled the MPGs down a couple of miles. I can't get this if I drive 65 mph and over. I have to keep it 55-60 mph. The other thing that I do and try to do as much as possible is use ethanol free gas. I usually get 2-3 MPG better when I use it. The second photo is from after filling up and the car's computer computes the miles to empty. As you can see it's very good.

I had to go to a job that was about 175 miles away so, I just leave early and drive slow. It's a much more pleasurable cruise, I save money on gas, less bugs get on my windshield/grill/front bumper and it will probably extend the life of my Mustang. So, why not?
Old 6/11/10, 04:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
The mustang for a v8 is very efficient, maybe you should look into a v6 if you are going to try to spend some cash making your v8 sip gas?
Thats crazy talk right there.LOL No sixer for me.
Old 6/11/10, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Get a Honda...

I'm eventually either going to get a 6 speed trans or change 5th gear to a .48 or .5, that will bring the rpms on 5th gear way down.
Get a Honda more crazy talk lol great cars though!!
by no means am I complaining about the mpg's I am getting. Just thought it would be interesting to see what mpg gains could be had with a few mods. I know people have added some of these mods and have had to of noticed some sort of mpg gain.
Our driving styles usually don't change all that much. I like your last statement about gearing. I was wondering how much you could change things by going to a taller or shorter tire.

Last edited by Glenn; 6/12/10 at 09:00 AM.
Old 6/11/10, 04:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by xkornkidx01
The only time I ever think about gas is when the empty light comes on and I have to gas up... Otherwise I just "Drive" or should I say "Enjoy" my car... If you wanted to save gas, you should of bought a honda...
Thats why I started this thread with (Somewhat hypothetically) More sillyness Honda does make some great cars though

Last edited by Glenn; 6/12/10 at 09:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Max MPG's