2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking for Max MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/10, 06:54 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why is that? ive owned alot of mustangs and get 17 city and 30+ highway.
Old 6/7/10, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Agree

Originally Posted by Flagstang
I was just saying you can get good mpg out of a car with a good amount of hp
Agree with Flagstaff! Higher HP V-8's develop a lot more torque per cubic inch of size and at a lower RPM. Thus this explains that if you have a newer V-8 vehicle with very good aero, you can cruise at highway speeds at very low RPM. That is one of the reasons the newer V-8 vehicles really can use the 6-speeds so very well and still get pretty greater MPG returns! But no free lunch here ether! Once you hit about 70 MPH, the fuel mileage really all starts to drop off for everyone. This because of the ever increasing aero drag with more speed!! CalStang

(Sorry for all the Bla! Bla! An Old Engineer trying to help explain just what is going on)
Old 6/7/10, 07:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flagstang
why is that? ive owned alot of mustangs and get 17 city and 30+ highway.
We can get 25-28 MPG all day long with two folks, all her luggage and the AC on in the summer. This doing about 70 MPH down the interstate on the road trips! But also do keep the GT/CS all lubed, tuned and polished like a brand new NASA rocket awaiting launch! All this for when we are heading out for yet another long road haul to some of midwestern summer car shows etc. CalStang
Old 6/7/10, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CalStang'07
We can get 25-28 MPG all day long with two folks, all her luggage and the AC on in the summer. This doing about 70 MPH down the interstate on the road trips! But also do keep the GT/CS all lubed, tuned and polished like a brand new NASA rocket awaiting launch! All this for when we are heading out for yet another long road haul to some of midwestern summer car shows etc. CalStang

That's really good for that speed & load. You'd break 30 mpg for sure if you slow it down to 60 mph! Another reason I cruise slower than most people is it keeps my car cleaner. A lot less bugs in my grille, windshield and front bumper when I drive 55-60 mph.
Old 6/7/10, 07:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by iBookmaster
Flagstang, the Corvettes are so aerodynamic and light I believe it.

CalStang, that might be another reason I am getting such good overall gas mileage because I do that kind of shifting. The Mustang owner's manual doesn't say what rpms to shift but does say to shift gears every 10 mph hitting 5th at 40 mph on my 2008. I guess it's a little different on the new 6 speed transmissions.

Corvette's are also double overdrive, so they can really sip once at speed.

The new 6 spds in the stang are not double overdrive, so you'll be doing more shifting below say 60.

1st 3.38:1
2nd 2.00:1
3rd 1.32:1
4th 1.00:1
5th 0.68:1

1st 3.66
2nd 2.43
3rd 1.69
4th 1.32
5th 1.00
6th 0.65
Old 6/7/10, 09:16 PM
GT Member

With the price tags Corvettes have they need to sip gas!
Old 6/7/10, 11:07 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you can afford a new vett im thinking you might not know how much gas costs.
Old 6/8/10, 09:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
[quote=Bullitt995;5885926]

I'm outa here[/quot
are you the one on the right or the one on the left LOL
Old 6/8/10, 10:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't want to change my driving style, I am a pretty mello driver for the most part already. I want the car to get better mpg's with out changing my driving style. That was/is the point of this thread. I know with some of the mods I listed in my first post would cost more than a grand, and making that up in improved mpg's would take a long time to recoup.
figure underdrive pullies would net me 1 maybe 2 mpg's and a drive shaft would maybe get me the same. lighter tires and wheels would have to help some also. I think one of my razors with tire is like 46 pounds. It would be nice to chop that weight down. Has to be good for another 1 or 2 mpg's also
Don't ya think??
Old 6/8/10, 10:03 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mustang for a v8 is very efficient, maybe you should look into a v6 if you are going to try to spend some cash making your v8 sip gas?
Old 6/8/10, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Somewhat hypothetically of course! I've been thinking about this for some time now. I think I can get 30+mpg's out of the my 06 to work and back. I am getting 20. something right now. I figured I would start at the front of the car and work my way back.
With that said what would be the best front bumper cover to have. I have a roush right now and with those bigo holes in there I think its just catching to much air. So cover the holes or get a different cover? Would a splitter help at all? how much of a difference in mpg's do you think a different cover would make?

furture thoughts
under drive pullies
intake and tune
exhaust
drive shaft
gears
lighter wheels
Get a Honda...

I'm eventually either going to get a 6 speed trans or change 5th gear to a .48 or .5, that will bring the rpms on 5th gear way down.
Old 6/8/10, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bullitt995
I'm having a really hard time wrapping by brain around buying a three hundred horsepower muscle car then hypermiling it.
The only time I ever think about gas is when the empty light comes on and I have to gas up... Otherwise I just "Drive" or should I say "Enjoy" my car... If you wanted to save gas, you should of bought a honda...

Last edited by xkornkidx01; 6/8/10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 6/8/10, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

For what your trying to save on gas, your spending on upgrades ?????? Make sure the trunk is empty and make the wife/gf/kids walk.
Old 6/8/10, 02:13 PM
Bullitt Member

I bought my GT for smiles per gallon

Last edited by citizen arcane; 6/8/10 at 02:16 PM.
Old 6/8/10, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by icemant180
For what your trying to save on gas, your spending on upgrades ?????? Make sure the trunk is empty and make the wife/gf/kids walk.
LOL I didn't even think of that. It would probably be funny how long you would have to drive to justify the price of the fuel saving mods. It's like the added cost for a prius or another hybrid car takes some insane amount of time to make up in fuel cost.
Old 6/8/10, 03:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

you guys are just as funny as I yam. The mods I am taking about people around here do all the time for the hp gains. Of course The talk of lighter wheels, udp's and a alum drive shaft won't add hp per say but it sure does free up some.
Old 6/8/10, 05:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends on how extreme you want go Glenn. As an experiment one time I tried starting in 2nd gear and short shifted the engine skiping 3rd and once I was able to pull 1000 rpm in 5th, shifted into it immediately, cut the engine off at stop lights, and run without AC under 45 mph (wherre the effects on drag with open windows wasn't an issue). I was able to get an extra 8 mpg or so IIRC. Also used the MPG gauge in the car and tried to stay at 5 bars almost exclusively.

The reason I started in 2nd gear was to force the engine to accelerate slowly while holding the throttle open as wide as I could (or as wide as the engine management system would allow given the e-throttle). Like a diesel, this reduces pumping losses and increase effciency, unfortunately once you get up to speed you have to rely on the engine management system for minimizing this by utilizing cam phasing.

Cutting the car off at stop lights limits idle time and wasted fuel while doing so. Hard on the charging system and starting system though.
Old 6/8/10, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
you guys are just as funny as I yam. The mods I am taking about people around here do all the time for the hp gains. Of course The talk of lighter wheels, udp's and a alum drive shaft won't add hp per say but it sure does free up some.
Yeah but his goals are different. When doing the mods for smiles and not dollars it's easy to get a positive return. When investing money in mods to save money....the return isn't there. Not even close.
Old 6/8/10, 05:55 PM
GT Member

It's only a matter of time when we talk mpgs on a Mustang forum before you get the crowd that says "get a honda or toyota". Really helpful to this thread isn't it?

Yes, mods that shoot for gas mileage also give extra horsepower so, they are great dual purpose mods and will more than pay for themselves if you keep the car a long time.

I took about a 350 mile round trip today at in between 55-60 mph speeds. Haven't filled up yet because I still have about 1/3 of a tank left. The digital mpg reader says 35.4 mpg which is probably 33 to 33.x mpg. Pretty darn good for a wonderfully powerful 300 hp V8 American made car. Using an ethanol free tank of gas and pumped my tires up to 40 psi for this trip (my Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds take a max of 51 psi). I usually do 32 or 30 psi for extra comfort. I went for the great mpgs today and got em'!

Driving 55-60 mph on a destination is so much more enjoyable drive than zipping as fast as possible to save a half hour on the trip. I watch people zipping in and out of lanes, slamming on brakes, jockying for position and I laugh at them all. Unless you take a 5 hour trip or more, you don't save that much time by driving faster.
Old 6/8/10, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe this might work. Install a bung or two before the cats. Put a couple of wide band O2 sensors, a A/F gauge or tuner and drive to keep your A/F ratio around 14.7.

Or see what you can do to keep it there.

This might be cheaper than all of the aero stuff.

Quick Reply: Looking for Max MPG's