2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Looking for Max MPG's

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/10, 07:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Looking for Max MPG's

Somewhat hypothetically of course! I've been thinking about this for some time now. I think I can get 30+mpg's out of the my 06 to work and back. I am getting 20. something right now. I figured I would start at the front of the car and work my way back.
With that said what would be the best front bumper cover to have. I have a roush right now and with those bigo holes in there I think its just catching to much air. So cover the holes or get a different cover? Would a splitter help at all? how much of a difference in mpg's do you think a different cover would make?

furture thoughts
under drive pullies
intake and tune
exhaust
drive shaft
gears
lighter wheels
Old 6/6/10, 08:58 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I'll toss some stupid opinions out there ......max psi skinny tires with smoothie hubcaps........higher gears..........egg on the gas pedal.......those would probably be the biggest savings ......Ive found my average is around 18 driving to work on sunoco 87, but it goes 20-21 on 89. 93 it drops back a bit, no real idea as to why- but consistently, mine gets about 2 mpg(10%- its substantial) better on quality 89 octane...a tune would surely change that though.a belly pan could probably make these cars a helluva lot less draggy- venting the hood(like a shelby hood heat extractor) could reduce some of the pressure against whats trying to come in thru the grille...wrapping the exhaust could help reduce underhood heat a bit, and might hold a little more heat in the motor- lost heat is wasted energy, has to come from the fuel...lowering the car I would expect to help slightly- especially if 'raked' a bit low in the front to reduce pressure under the carrunning oil at only midway in the normal range is perfectly safe, but could reduce windage a little bit- my grandpa always ran his at the bottom of normal for better power and mileage, and changed it more frequently due to the reduced capacity...that was back in the days of carburetors wetting agent and fresh coolant might help cool more effectively- if the thermostat is closed a bit, its flowing less water/taking less power...underdrive pulleys do moreso, but *might* get you in trouble in a traffic jam/heatwave combo.reduce weight=increased mileage...can of fix-a-flat and a cellphone instead of a spare+jack, run fuel tank between 1/4~1/2 (less than 1/4 can make life hard on the fuel pump) optima battery would likely weigh less than whats in there, centerline wheels are extremely light, shop for tires by more than price and tread pattern...some are heavy as heck.

Last edited by ford4v429; 6/6/10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 6/6/10, 09:00 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
sorry thats all run together, my spacebar inserts spaces/lines when typing, but posts everything run together...this computer is acting really screwed up- got a bug or a bug did some harm...time for linux
Old 6/6/10, 09:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Ford Racing CAI with a Brenspeed tune, Granatelli mpg coil packs and have added an oil product called Motor Silk. MPGs is what I have shot for instead of power. I generally have just as much power as the next GT except for super/turbocharged ones. I average about 28 mpg but, I take a lot of 100+ mile trips and drive 55-60 mph. The best I've ever gotten on a trip was 32.6 mpg hwy/city combined. All hand figured mpg. The digital display usually reads about 1.5 - 2 mpgs better than I actually get.

One thing that might be helping my mileage is I will fill up near where I live (Charlottesville, Virginia) and drive from there and there are some mountains in our area. I drift down the hills in neutral as a bit of hypermiling. This will start my mpgs within the first 10-20 miles very high and as long as I keep my foot out of the pedal, it slowly drops but stays high. It might not be so good if I couldn't start out with a full tank of gas not being able to drift down some hills. Then again, when I drift down hills, I have to come up the other side.

Last edited by iBookmaster; 6/6/10 at 09:16 PM.
Old 6/6/10, 10:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm having a really hard time wrapping by brain around buying a three hundred horsepower muscle car then hypermiling it.
Old 6/6/10, 10:49 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
auto or the good tranny?

best I get on trips is 31 in the shelby gt and my 09 got 34 with the steeda cai and tune. both stick
Old 6/7/10, 07:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

auto trans. removed the spare a long time ago. I like the hood vent idea. I also have a jlt intake and a tillman street race tune. It never did get any better than stock mpg's but was a lot more fun to drive. I agree why buy a 300hp car and then worry about mpg's. not to worried about it I am pretty happy with the 20 to 21 mpg's........ but thought it would be cool to see a reg 30mpg out of it also.

I may do a little test with my front cover and for a while. I might cover the lower openings with a piece of plexi glass. I'm betting it won't make a 1/2 gal per mile diff.
Old 6/7/10, 08:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The most I've gotten was 29.3 MPG all I have is a C&L racer kit and bama tune. you're right foot makes a big difference, cruise control all the way to work...

That was just to see what I got, I didn't buy a v8 mustang to save on gas so I'm not really concerned but impressed
Old 6/7/10, 11:23 AM
GT Member

Well Bullitt995, everybody can do what they want with their cars (with exception to breaking the law and losing your license), some choose to cruise, some choose to gun it everywhere they go. I do more cruisin' than anything. Sure, I gun it too from time to time. But, mostly I drive it like I'd like to have the car last me a long time. Not like I stole it.

So, the reverse can be said to what you said. I can't imagine buying a $28,000 muscle car and driving it like I stole it until it gets run into the ground. Just because it's a muscle car doesn't mean it can't be economical too. When I go on trips 100+ miles, I cruise lightly to see how much gas I can save, not gun it as much as I can to see how much I can consume. But, these are our cars, we can do what we want with them. Dog em' till they die is an option too....if that's what you want to do.
Old 6/7/10, 12:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool More MPG

FYI: You would be surprized how much fuel you can save by quick shifting a stick to up to the next gear when driving around town or on the way to work. The important thing is just not to lug/load the engine below 1K RPMs. Listen to the motor and it will always tell you when you need to up/down shift. We really do not drive ours like that much. But did experiment with this for about a week just to test the results. We gained 2-3 MPG in this test. So god fuel savings can really be done. But IMHO there is not much fun driving it around town that way. CalStang

Last edited by CalStang'07; 6/7/10 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 6/7/10, 01:01 PM
GT Member

Thanks CalStang'07. How would you describe doing "quick shifting"? Shifting as quick as possible?
Old 6/7/10, 01:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I got 21+mpg's on my last trip 710 miles. We were rumming 90+ mph most of the way. That impressed me somewhat. lol
So if Fdjizm got the 29.3 mpg! With a little work and a few mods I bet he could sqweeze another 6 or 7 mpg's out of it??
Old 6/7/10, 01:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can only drive like a good citizen for so long sir lol
I'm sure he can bring it down just from driving habits.
Old 6/7/10, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by iBookmaster
Well Bullitt995, everybody can do what they want with their cars (with exception to breaking the law and losing your license), some choose to cruise, some choose to gun it everywhere they go. I do more cruisin' than anything. Sure, I gun it too from time to time. But, mostly I drive it like I'd like to have the car last me a long time. Not like I stole it.

So, the reverse can be said to what you said. I can't imagine buying a $28,000 muscle car and driving it like I stole it until it gets run into the ground. Just because it's a muscle car doesn't mean it can't be economical too. When I go on trips 100+ miles, I cruise lightly to see how much gas I can save, not gun it as much as I can to see how much I can consume. But, these are our cars, we can do what we want with them. Dog em' till they die is an option too....if that's what you want to do.

I'm outa here
Old 6/7/10, 04:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

well to be honest 300hp is entry level muscle car. "300hp omg" is kinda wrong to say. its more like "300hp is a good place to start".

stick is a great way to get really good mpg.
Old 6/7/10, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Quick Shifting Class?

Originally Posted by iBookmaster
Thanks CalStang'07. How would you describe doing "quick shifting"? Shifting as quick as possible?
IB: Quick shifting is something all the Hyper-Milers do with their stick shift cars to save some fuel. The "Quick" part just means that you shift to the next higher gear before you wind the RPM's very far up as would normally be done. This has nothing to do with how fast you move that shifter!!

In a Mustang-GT that would be soft pedaling to about 1800-2200 RPMs, depending on driving conditions and the overall terrain of course. If your V-8 drops back down to 1000-1100 RPMs (loading the engine), then it is time to shift back down a lower gear and start this process all over again until your each your desired speed. You can save some fuel, but it is not a free ride here.

At first it can be a bit of pain! But as you learn to listen to your engine RPMs, it can become as a second nature as to just when to shift (up/down) with out even having to look at your tach. Done over a very long time say six months, they claim savings will begin show if you track fuel mileage? And yes you will see a small change on your own Mustang's mileage computer too.

Hope that explains the "Quick' shifting concept to you as far as our Mustangs are concerned?

Here we just drive for the V-8 fun and always keep the trusty old debt card handy for the next load of high test fuel that we will surely be needing! Life is way too short, so play hard gang and drive easy when just commuting!!! CalStang
Old 6/7/10, 04:42 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

My buddys 2006 z06 is can get 37 mpg.

I shift around 2000 rpm.
Old 6/7/10, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Flagstang, the Corvettes are so aerodynamic and light I believe it.

CalStang, that might be another reason I am getting such good overall gas mileage because I do that kind of shifting. The Mustang owner's manual doesn't say what rpms to shift but does say to shift gears every 10 mph hitting 5th at 40 mph on my 2008. I guess it's a little different on the new 6 speed transmissions.
Old 6/7/10, 06:40 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

I was just saying you can get good mpg out of a car with a good amount of hp
Old 6/7/10, 06:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
auto or the good tranny?

best I get on trips is 31 in the shelby gt and my 09 got 34 with the steeda cai and tune. both stick
That's pretty hard to believe to be honest with you.....

Quick Reply: Looking for Max MPG's