2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Long Term Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/13, 07:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Term Storage?

My 2006 Mustang has been in the garage since April or so, I take it to work on Fridays most of the time and it gets taken out once in a while to get ice cream down the street or whatever. Anyways at the end of this month its going into the Garage long term without being able to be driven a distance, since I'm changing my insurance to storage only till the spring.

Anyways, I have a battery tender for it already...so what else should I do to prep it for long term storage? Fill the tank up and put some gas stablilizer in it? I can pull it out of the garage and let it run for a while, but not sure doing that will do any good if its just idling.
Old 9/5/13, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
that's sad !! Lots of threads about this subject around here
Old 9/6/13, 05:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by GT98
My 2006 Mustang has been in the garage since April or so, I take it to work on Fridays most of the time and it gets taken out once in a while to get ice cream down the street or whatever. Anyways at the end of this month its going into the Garage long term without being able to be driven a distance, since I'm changing my insurance to storage only till the spring.

Anyways, I have a battery tender for it already...so what else should I do to prep it for long term storage? Fill the tank up and put some gas stablilizer in it? I can pull it out of the garage and let it run for a while, but not sure doing that will do any good if its just idling.
I know that for winterizing my bike, besides what you mentioned I change the oil (you don't want all of the acids and combustion byproducts sitting there for months), fog the cylinders, and fog the muffler. The muffler may not be necessary since you probably have a stainless system.
Old 9/6/13, 06:52 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
I hope the garage is somewhat climate controlled. If not the car will suffer a bit. Definitely fill up with premium gas and put in some Sta-bil. Drive the car enough to get the Sta-bil mixed premium fuel into the entire fuel system. This will help immensely. If possible in your area, get real gas not tainted with ethanol. http://pure-gas.org/ I do that for my SS which sits for most of the winter. Also fill the tires up to 40+ psi to help with eventual 'flat spots'. I would even place carpet pieces under each tire to help prevent that from occurring and keeping the rubber off the concrete (if that is what the garage floor is made with).
If the possibility of mice exists, spread mothballs around, especially in the engine compartment. I also would put something in the exhaust pipe to prevent entry from that point. Just don't forget in the Spring!!
Old 9/6/13, 08:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
A good waxing wouldnt hurt things either
Old 9/6/13, 07:42 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
I try to start/warm up my 09 every 2 weeks, run the AC compressor a little to circulate lube(turn heat controls 'off' before shutdown to close vent doors), steer lock to lock to move lube around there, move out of the garage/turn around/pull back in to distribute the flat spots on the tires... so far so good.
Sunoco premium and sta-bil, Ive never had more than a gallon of gas in it- unsure if the full-or-empty is better, I opted for empty, only because it would take longer to burn the fuel than it would last...being ethanol compliant, the tank coating should keep internal corrosion at bay, I hope...
car is over 5 yrs old now, never been registered or on the road, still under 5 miles on the clock...

if just for winter, I top off my 06, add sta-bil, usually it wont set more than 6-8 weeks at a time/as soon as we get a rain to wash the salt off the roads I'm taking it out I'm a little chicken of a battery tender, probably fine, but so much chinese junk out there, more worried about fire than anything...I just pull the battery terminals off so no draw... they seem to hold a charge for weeks at least- my 65 galaxie has had the same battery since 2002, still going strong, but the car has zero draw as the clock dont even work...I think if the battery is FULLY charged they wont sulfate up, and if not sulfated, wont self discharge...but leave it hooked up in a mustang, 2 weeks its dead and battery will self discharge after the first time its allowed to sit a few days discharged from sulfating...
if using a tender, I'd hardwire a fused quick connect to the car- a buddy had a tender clipped on a trolling motor battery, his dog ran thru, pulled the wire, shorted the battery, the fire gutted half his house...Ive heard of mice chewing wires causing fires too. many folks swear dryer sheets in the car will deter rodents, and if it sits more than a week, make a habit of inspecting your air filter... my 06 filter got ate by mice last winter- it sat out 1 week while I was working on something else, was glad I checked it, had a big pile of paper bits and some kind of nut shells inside the airbox...had I started it up, likely would have inhaled enough to hurt the engine...
Old 9/9/13, 07:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Thanks for the tips guys...the Garage isn't totally climate controlled, but doesn't get that cold in there. I already have a carpet in the Garage (was being used as an office in the model home). I can drive the car up and down the driveway every month to keep everything lubricated and moving with out any problems (outside of snow on the ground).

Car has been completely detailed earlier this summer and I'll prob give it one more washing before it gets too cold out. I'll top it off, get some stabil and change the oil (needs it anyways)
Old 9/9/13, 08:02 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Originally Posted by GT98
Thanks for the tips guys...the Garage isn't totally climate controlled, but doesn't get that cold in there. I already have a carpet in the Garage (was being used as an office in the model home). I can drive the car up and down the driveway every month to keep everything lubricated and moving with out any problems

Actually that is not a good idea. If you can't get the engine up to operating temperature it is detrimental. There has been much written about this. The oil especially.
Old 9/9/13, 08:04 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by NC07GTCS
Actually that is not a good idea. If you can't get the engine up to operating temperature it is detrimental. There has been much written about this. The oil especially.

I know this...I was planning on getting it to operating temp...this is spelled out in the owners manual also on long term storage. Plus I do have experience with diesels and "wet stacking" because of this also