Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Term Storage

Search this Thread

Old 2/5/07, 06:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Term Storage

Hey all, I just got notified I may be leaving the US for a while and the Pony can't come with me . So, my question is, since I don't trust anyone to start it and not drive it in my absence, what things do I need to do to leave it sitting for a while, like say a year? I figured I could jack it up on stands and put some stabilizer in the gas and oil. What would you all recommend?

-Darth
Old 2/5/07, 07:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's a good start.

Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery, check to make sure all of the fluids are topped off. Depending on mileage bleed and replace your brake fluid. For the interior cover the seats in plastic bags and get one of those dehumidifier rigs like Dri-eze. Cover your stang with a nice breathable car cover.

Should be good to go.
Old 2/6/07, 09:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Disconnct battery, stabilize fuel, chnge the oil entirely, if you have someone to watch/ empty a dehumidifier get one for the garage, however don't take all the moisture out just alot of it. Taking out too much will also ruin the paint. Leave the windows/doors shut, with a dri-eze like steve recommended, also cover. Most importantly is the home coming. When you get home don't take it out for a spin right away. Check all fluids, tire pressure, battery charge (before hooking up), check brakes, inspect the entire car, so that nothing is out of line. These are the things that I do to store it for winter.
Old 2/7/07, 04:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Good ideas so far, keep em coming!!

Is there any real risk of damaging the car if it is up on stands for an extended period? Also, will the engine oil maintain the seals even though it's not being run? I'm going to be storing it in a garage in FL, might get back to see her every 6-8 months.

Any suggestions or ideas about slapping extra grease on the bearings and joints? Kinda like preserving an AK-47 in cosmoline....

-Darth

Old 2/7/07, 02:47 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Stang
Good ideas so far, keep em coming!!

Is there any real risk of damaging the car if it is up on stands for an extended period? Also, will the engine oil maintain the seals even though it's not being run? I'm going to be storing it in a garage in FL, might get back to see her every 6-8 months.

Any suggestions or ideas about slapping extra grease on the bearings and joints? Kinda like preserving an AK-47 in cosmoline....

-Darth

Here's some more helpful info.

Winter Car Storage - How to store your car for a Long Period of time (You should be able apply these even if you're in Fla):
http://www.constant-content.com/More...od_of_time.htm

10 Winter Storage Tips (Again, same if you're in Fla):
http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=10706

This one refers to storing a Miata, but the concepts are pretty much the same.
http://www.teammiata.com/libs/Winter_Storage_Tips.htm

Best of luck.
Old 2/8/07, 05:03 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to use a car cover, but I found the car cover would scratch the car worse than if I didn't use a car cover. You have to make sure the cover is completely clean, and make sure there is nothing on the surface of the car.

I would just leave it in a garage and try to block vent openings where spiders may crawl in. Unfortunately they get everywhere and can clog up your evap system. My E-250 was "owned" by a spider egg sac. I would get a DTC saying that it couldn't bleed the vacuum in the gas tank, and I would hear a WHOOSH sound when opening the cap. Turns out a spider egg sac was blocking the fresh air intake for the evap system.