2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

long term stoarge- comments/suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11/28/08, 12:39 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
long term stoarge- comments/suggestions?

if putting a new car away for a year or ten, what would you folks recommend? Picked up a 'spare' 09 for down the road, want to preserve it as close to new as possible until its needed- hopefully my 06 will still be runnin strong in 20 years, but ya never know...

I'm thinking a good cover under a 'carbag' with dessicant, on stands to keep the tires off the ground (on pads so the stands wont rip the bag) and suspension somewhat unloaded...

biggest question is fueltank- full with sta-bil(but only good for a year or so) or drain it...I think in a bag condensation will not be a problem, so kinda thinking might not matter other than the fuel going bad, but dunno.

Also the engine- better to run it a few times a year (have to exchange dessicant if opened up), or just fill it with synthetic and fog it with oil to wet the cylinders, then seal up intake/exhaust with a bag to allow expansion/contraction from temp swings...

was also gonna scotchbrite the rotors, wipe down with ospho (metalprep) to keep them decent, and metalprep/oil the driveshaft/rear axle housing...was thinking draining the brake/clutch fluid and going to silicone might be nice, but the ABS would make that tough if not impossible to purge completely...maybe just sealing a bag (w/dessicant) over the cap will prevent fluid from picking up moisture- I think that should work...

any comments/suggestions appreciated

btw- I hate garage queens, I know the cars are made to be driven- but we've got 2 to enjoy for a while, and the 010 is not for me, just seemed today is the cheapest/best looking V8 GT possibly ever...just had to do it.
Old 11/28/08, 09:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have always been told, if your going to store a car long-term (longer than a few months during a winter), to drain the gas tank COMPLETELY! Not sure which way is better to go in regards to the motor though. Tim, I'm sure others will chime in. Congrats on picking up another GT. BTW, did you get my PM on the IUP panels?
Old 11/28/08, 10:13 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
only thing with draining fuel, best I could guess would be pull a line and pump it 'dry'...but thats rough on the fuelpump. just wonder how low the pump can get it...still see no way the pump can draw fuel across the hump- it must work, but sure dont see how...
Old 12/1/08, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I have always been told, if your going to store a car long-term (longer than a few months during a winter), to drain the gas tank COMPLETELY! Not sure which way is better to go in regards to the motor though. Tim, I'm sure others will chime in. Congrats on picking up another GT. BTW, did you get my PM on the IUP panels?

If you drain the tank completely cant you still get moisture in it? I think the best thing to do is keep putting a new tank of gas every month and keep putting fuel stabilizer in the tank every so often(however recommended). In regards to the motor you should still do your services(DIY being your storing the car). Even though your not drive the car if you usually do your services every 3months 3,000 miles you should keep with that. Being you wont get to your 3,000 mile mark at least your getting to your 3month mark every time. Put wood under the tires to try and advoid flat spots on the tires. If you have a battery tender use it so it will keep a 12v charge and maintain/condition the battery. If your using a cover what i do is put a few desecent bags in the car to attract the moisture, then i will put rags on the body lines of the car then throw the cover over it. I know thats overboard with the rags but consider this, you put the cover over the car but the car with still accumulate dust and if the wind blow and moves the cover slightly it will make hairline scratches on the body lines cause the cover rubbing on the dust then rubbing on the car.
Old 12/2/08, 06:04 AM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
contact a car museum
Old 12/2/08, 07:04 AM
Banned

I recommend you buy a car capsule. I use one when i store my car for the winter. It is basically a plastic bubble that circulates dry filtered air which prevents dust, corrosion and mosture build up. You will not need dessicants. I have mine inside of a car capsule right now. I can post pics if you want to see what it looks like.
Old 12/3/08, 09:06 AM
GT Member

when i stored my car the mechanics at dealership recomended to drain fuel tank , change oil to synthetic & if possible to run engine at least once a month. I just put stabil in my gas, put a good coat of wax , covered up car & wrapped up exhaust holes to keep out moisture & critters. mine will only be stored for about 9 months, but i get to go home for christmas, so ill have a chance to run & change oil after 3 months of storage.
Old 12/3/08, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by truckmec67
when i stored my car the mechanics at dealership recomended to drain fuel tank , change oil to synthetic & if possible to run engine at least once a month. I just put stabil in my gas, put a good coat of wax , covered up car & wrapped up exhaust holes to keep out moisture & critters. mine will only be stored for about 9 months, but i get to go home for christmas, so ill have a chance to run & change oil after 3 months of storage.
This sounds most ideal...
Old 12/3/08, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mustang_lurkers
I recommend you buy a car capsule. I use one when i store my car for the winter. It is basically a plastic bubble that circulates dry filtered air which prevents dust, corrosion and mosture build up. You will not need dessicants. I have mine inside of a car capsule right now. I can post pics if you want to see what it looks like.
Please post pics. I for one would like to see what this car capsule looks like.
Old 12/4/08, 01:32 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Originally Posted by 300GT
Please post pics. I for one would like to see what this car capsule looks like.
I guess your google isn't working