2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Limited Slip Axle Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 8/17/05, 06:32 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all,
I guess for a good month now, I have been hearing this squeaking as I pull of at low speeds and eventually the squeaking stops after I pick up speed. I went to the dealer and they told me that it was something that was in between the aftermarket rims and tire that wants to come out. The squeaking is coming from the back, I thought it was the right rear tire. Anyway took it to a shop where I had them take the tire off the wheel to see what was in there and there was nothing. So I thought I had a defective rim, so I got another one and bang boom, the noise is still there.

I started looking at the TSB and find this. "Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. So I think this may be the problem.

Have any of you experience this? If so what did it sound like and what did you do?
Old 8/17/05, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

I still have it on my '04 F150. I just never bothered to take it in to the dealership, since it only seems to happen in the morning on my way to work, and I don't notice it any other time. If it were happening every time I turned a corner, I'd take it in. I just don't want to be without the truck. Maybe when the Mustang gets here I'll let them work on it.
Old 8/17/05, 07:08 AM
I talk to cones.

Do a search there is at least one thread detailing this problem and some solutions.
Old 8/17/05, 07:11 AM
Cobra Member

does it not do it when the wheel is off? I wonder if your axle seal is squeeking for whatever reason. I'd buy some silicon spray and shoot it on the axle seal.... which will be behind the rotor assembly... BE CAREFUL NOT TO SRAY THE ROTOR OR BRAKE PADS. turn the axle a few times and perhaps hit it again to mak sure you've got even application and see if the squeek goes away.
The noise that TSB is talking about is related to the differential, and I wouldn't expect to hear a squeek.... it's going to be more of a vibratoin, and would be a whine as opposed to a squeek... that may be more something you feel than hear. also, maybe hit your swaybar bushings with some silicon spray too... that was a problem on my '98.