2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Life after Pony Drive

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/05, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Now that my plans for the new 05 have been crushed by ford because of their decision on the Pony Drive, I am trying to figure out my options for a replacement of my crashed 01 GT. Unfortunately, Ford’s decision is making me second guess even purchasing a new mustang, but when I think about my other options out there for 30 grand I still see no option but the mustang.

1) Can I still order a mustang vert with an X-Plan that I already have – I heard a rumor that they might cancel this for the 05 mustang

2) Can someone ballpark the month or months that I could possibly receive the car if I order it in the next week.

3) At this point should I just wait for the 2006

Thanks
Old 3/2/05, 04:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Nicholas,
I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to get your '05 in a resonable amount of time. Check your local dealers for the X-plan.
You just have to expect that it could be between 8 and 14 weeks.
Take the dive. Good luck.
Old 3/2/05, 09:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Loose,
I walked into my dealer complaining about the idiots in Detroit, and they were astonished at Ford's turnaround attitude. (They were quite familiar with the Pony Drive, as I had been in there talking about it several times.) They were upset enough that they offered me X-plan on a new GT order anyway! I grabbed that and ordered right then. They told me that they only had one GT order in front of me (a convertible that was probably already build by now) and that my car could arrive in 8-10 weeks. I said, "Yeah, but how long REALLY?" They said sometime during the month of May! Maybe they don't have a clue about delivery dates, maybe they do, but I couldn't turn down that offer, and if they're right, I could still hook up with the Pony Drive after all! I agree with Ponyboy, go check out your dealers. Give them the sob story like I did. You never know what they might be albe to do for you until you ask.
Old 3/2/05, 09:22 AM
GT Member

yeah I'm going to try to get invoice or so too when I order (yeah I know - good luck). But, what about my priority if I do? Can the dealer change the priority and continue to push me out? What if I order a 2005 and it doesn't get built and they start making 06s?

BTW I got invoice plus $100 in Miami in May of 1990 for a brand new explorer, so I think invoice plus might work this time too.
Old 3/2/05, 09:25 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried with the dealer I was talking to about it, and at first got "We only have one allocation left for 2005, but you can order a 2006 if you want." (at MSRP + of course) then got "You should come in and talk to our sales manager and tell him what you want." I didn't think that meant anything different than the first line though. I've been trying to figure out what to do, but I might just wait and order the 2006 if I can find someone who'll give me a good deal. Then I can get the 18" fanblades, at least. As with the Pony Drive, I've got no problem flying somewhere to pick up my new car and drive it back home, I actually think the drive would be a great way to get to know the car. All two-lane twisty roads of course!

Jay
Old 3/2/05, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by jayguy@March 2, 2005, 10:28 AM
..."You should come in and talk to our sales manager and tell him what you want." I didn't think that meant anything different than the first line though....

Jay
you should go see the sales manager. In my experience the salesmen did not have the authority to make a good deal: they were only authorized to rob you. The sales manager could and did authorize my $100 over invoice deal.
Old 3/2/05, 09:38 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by backafter20@March 2, 2005, 11:16 AM
Hey Loose,
I walked into my dealer complaining about the idiots in Detroit, and they were astonished at Ford's turnaround attitude. (They were quite familiar with the Pony Drive, as I had been in there talking about it several times.) They were upset enough that they offered me X-plan on a new GT order anyway! I grabbed that and ordered right then. They told me that they only had one GT order in front of me (a convertible that was probably already build by now) and that my car could arrive in 8-10 weeks. I said, "Yeah, but how long REALLY?" They said sometime during the month of May! Maybe they don't have a clue about delivery dates, maybe they do, but I couldn't turn down that offer, and if they're right, I could still hook up with the Pony Drive after all! I agree with Ponyboy, go check out your dealers. Give them the sob story like I did. You never know what they might be albe to do for you until you ask.
backafter20, Glad to see you are still getting X-plan. Hope you get yours before the pony drive. I plan on hooking up with it too. Nice to hear of a dealer working with you on it. Which dealer was it?
Old 3/2/05, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think it stinks for you guys that the Pony Drive deal fell through. I hooked up with them through Mustangs in Motion last year for the trip to the 40th at Nashville. Great bunch of folks. I was going to sign up early on but got cold feet. I asked what the guarantee was that the cars would actually be built that day since I would be flying in from PA. Well of course, there was no guarantee. Seemed to me that too many things could go wrong with the plan given the fluid production situation. Never dreamed it would go that far wrong!

I really think that if you find the right dealer now you should be able to have your car before the original June Pony Drive date. You also have the option of looking on the lots and talking to folks like Karpro for help. Best of luck!
Old 3/2/05, 09:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Oops, double post! I still think it stinks! :angry:
Old 3/2/05, 10:27 AM

Everyone thanks for the info - I have two hopeful dealers that I am going to see this weekend.

What the heck would I do without this forum
Old 3/2/05, 10:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sonic Val,
I'd rather not say where I got the X-plan from. It was clearly not a "come one, come all" sorta deal, and I don't want to repay his generosity with a showroom full of people demanding the same deal that I got. I asked him if he minded me mentioning it on the internet, and he tensed up real fast, so I told him I wouldn't be specific or mention names. He can't do it for everybody, but I certainly appreciate him doing it for me. By the way, I'm still going with white stripes. You got those black ones yet?
Old 3/2/05, 12:35 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by backafter20@March 2, 2005, 12:40 PM
Sonic Val,
I'd rather not say where I got the X-plan from. It was clearly not a "come one, come all" sorta deal, and I don't want to repay his generosity with a showroom full of people demanding the same deal that I got. I asked him if he minded me mentioning it on the internet, and he tensed up real fast, so I told him I wouldn't be specific or mention names. He can't do it for everybody, but I certainly appreciate him doing it for me. By the way, I'm still going with white stripes. You got those black ones yet?
I understand not saying on the internet which dealer it is, what was I thinking? I got mine on a D-Plan since my hubby works at a dealership, so I'm definately not wanting an X-plan. I was wondering which dealer is the nice one in our area.

Black stripes are ordered, GT scheduled to be built 3/21. Can't wait to see the combo. I'll post some pics after it's done.

TTYL
Valerie
Old 3/3/05, 05:10 PM

Has anyone from the Pony Drive buyers list heard from Ford yet? I haven't heard a peep. Still wondering what they're gonna say when (if?) they do call me about this.

In the meantime, I've been scouting out dealers in the Puget Sound area for an order, and so far the ones I've talked to seem to have already sold their '05 allotment, or are willing to take my order, but with a markup over MSRP. Maybe I'll try some mid-west dealers, then I can combine picking it up with a trip home to Iowa.

Jay
Old 3/3/05, 07:45 PM

[quote=jayguy,March 3, 2005, 7:13 PM]
Has anyone from the Pony Drive buyers list heard from Ford yet? I haven't heard a peep. Still wondering what they're gonna say when (if?) they do call me about this.

In the meantime, I've been scouting out dealers in the Puget Sound area for an order, and so far the ones I've talked to seem to have already sold their '05 allotment, or are willing to take my order, but with a markup over MSRP. Maybe I'll try some mid-west dealers, then I can combine picking it up with a trip home to Iowa.

Jay

Forget the midwest. I went to the local Ford dealer who also happens to be the largest single site Ford dealer in the US and was told thier allotment was full. Come back in Sept and order a 2006 they said.

If I had known Ford was going to pull out of Pony Drive I would have ordered in December.

Jeff
Old 3/3/05, 08:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jayguy@March 3, 2005, 6:13 PM

Jay
Not a word yet. However I have aquired an x-plan pin and my Finance Consultant (For all the dealerships here) cousin is trying to find a dealership who will take my x-plan. Possibly calling in some favors owed him in the process.
Old 3/4/05, 10:21 AM

I figured I'd try the dealers in Des Moines (family there) and work outward from there to see if I could get a good deal. That way I can combine the trip with a family visit. Too bad my uncle sold his small town dealership several years ago and switched to GM.

With the into on the 2006 options not coming out until mid May, I guess I either have to find the right deal on a 2005 soon, or wait for the 2006. Tough choice.

Jay
Old 4/25/05, 03:21 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by jayguy@March 3, 2005, 7:13 PM

Jay
Just curious. Has anyone received a call from Ford about this? I haven’t.
Old 4/26/05, 03:02 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Tomley+April 25, 2005, 3:24 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tomley @ April 25, 2005, 3:24 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-jayguy@March 3, 2005, 7:13 PM

Jay
Just curious. Has anyone received a call from Ford about this? I haven’t.
[/b][/quote]

I got a voice mail from David Fee but he didn’t leave a return number and he has not called back. I also wrote a letter to Ford, their board and everyone else I could think of within the company to express my disappointment\displeasure with their decision to cancel and, as of today, all I have heard from is one customer service rep who really didn’t know why he was calling me.
Combine the cancellation, with the dealer markups and the apparent dwindling supply of GT’s and the whole thing has left a loyal mustang owner questioning his loyalties.

Still looking forward to the pony drive though, just not nearly as much.
Old 4/28/05, 02:00 PM
Banned

I am still going, only now I am driving to KC from St. Louis with the local mustang club, and not the caravan from the pony drive. We are all doing the auto show there in KC, and then following each other back to St. Louis, we will have our own caravan of mustangs going down highway 70 ( the old Route 66 )...