2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

is less refined gas hurting our cars in the long run

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/06, 10:09 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is less refined gas hurting our cars in the long run

since the gas refining restrictions were eased a bit...does anyone else feel that in the long run it is hurting our motors....we all know our cats are taking a beaten..what made me think of this was people had mentioned o me my car was smoking real bad.. but i have not noticed it as well as the people that mentioned it to me have not see it either ...except for that one time....also if you notice alot of the cars on the road smell like rotten eggs.....

Old 5/16/06, 07:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WERKED 66
also if you notice alot of the cars on the road smell like rotten eggs.....
This I notice alot and it's nasty
Old 5/16/06, 07:54 AM
I Have Admin Envy

I believe those smelly cars are ones where the catalytic converter is already failing.

How much have they let the standards slip on gasoline? From my impression, they were allowing the use of MTBE (or whatever the chemical is) for a little while longer while longer instead of switching to ethanol.

If the sulfur content is higher for the time being, the worst I can see really is the plugs fouling sooner, but that would have to be in a long-term scenario.
Old 5/16/06, 08:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Galaxie
I believe those smelly cars are ones where the catalytic converter is already failing.

How much have they let the standards slip on gasoline? From my impression, they were allowing the use of MTBE (or whatever the chemical is) for a little while longer while longer instead of switching to ethanol.

If the sulfur content is higher for the time being, the worst I can see really is the plugs fouling sooner, but that would have to be in a long-term scenario.
I work in a refinery and I haven't anything about standards slipping (although I don't work in the production department). MTBE is still being used for now and we're producing low-sulfur gas and diesel as fast as possible. I'll ask one of the process engineers if they're allowing standards to slip.
Old 5/16/06, 08:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I filled up yesterday at a BP. THey have all the pumps bannered that the gasoline "may contain up to 10% ethanol." This is in SE Virginia. We usually don't see that around here. No change in displayed octane.
Old 5/16/06, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
I filled up yesterday at a BP. THey have all the pumps bannered that the gasoline "may contain up to 10% ethanol." This is in SE Virginia. We usually don't see that around here. No change in displayed octane.
You will see it in Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach, Richmond & NOVA during the summer from now on or until the government decides to do something smart and come up with one blend of gas for the whole country at 87 & 93 octane instead of the more than 30 different blends that we have now. Either way you will probably see at least 10% ethanol for the forseeable future.
Old 5/16/06, 11:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 116 Likes on 86 Posts
I would think we'd see an octane bump from the ethanol, but I guess the percentage isn't high enough.
Old 5/16/06, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Galaxie

while you may be correct i have alo noticed it coming from my car as well
Old 5/16/06, 01:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm more worried about the 10% ethanol than if refining standards are slipping.
Old 5/16/06, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I think the restrictions that you're mentioning involve the continued use of MTBE; I don't think the gas is any less refined;
Old 5/16/06, 06:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

All they did was allow the winter blends and MTBE to be used longer. Every city or locality depending on state law can have there own blends this causes distribution problems during the summer switch over or if a particular refinery is shut down.
Old 5/16/06, 06:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Greywolf
Every city or locality depending on state law can have there own blends this causes distribution problems
And that is a HUGE problem!!! Like I said we only need one blend
Old 5/16/06, 08:13 PM
Team Mustang Source

10% ethanol has been available in Western Canada for about 10 years at Mohawk Stations
Same price as regular 87 Octane, But
Octane rating of 90
Less pollution, Car going for testing fill up with it.
Alcohol ensures no foreign water in fuel system.
They say it doesn’t give as good a Miles per Gallon, but the difference is not noticeable.
It’s probably the first step in reducing Gasoline consumption.
Painless and great for Winter Gas.