2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

LED tail lamp housings

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/07, 05:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
LED tail lamp housings

This month's issue of SAE AEI (page 64) shows Valeo Sylvania's new LED taillamp. The photo is of a S197's rear tail lamp. Sylvania claims that the 3D-effect tail lamps include sequential stop and turn signal functions.

I saw APC LED tail lamps for sale in Jeg's, but APC is mostly made overseas and most likely NOT FMVSS 108 compliant.

I'm eager to see the Valeo tail lamps in the market. You get sequential turn/stop signals AND long lasting LED lighting!
Old 2/9/07, 08:22 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gan you take a screen cap of the photo.. I no longer have an SAE membership. When I was a student $10 was fine, but now the higher fee is not worth it for me.

I would love to see what the unit looks like. I don't like the APC design. And if it does have the Sequential feature built in then that can make it very nice as it would be a $100 value added to the unit.
Old 2/9/07, 08:47 AM
Cobra R Member

I know that the APC LED third brake light is SAE compliant.
Old 2/9/07, 10:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Will the APC unit work with my Webelectric sequentials? I have been thinking about this mod to complement my LED third brake light (thanks mikesrx! )
Old 2/9/07, 10:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I know that the APC LED third brake light is SAE compliant.
Is APC the only vendor that makes an LED third brake light? Where can we get one? Any pics and specs/details on FMVSS 108 compliance?
Old 2/9/07, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whats great about LED tail lights? I always thought they looked liked the circuit board on a cheap Chinese toy. One of the silliest trends ever IMO.
Old 2/9/07, 01:15 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by kevinb120
Whats great about LED tail lights? I always thought they looked liked the circuit board on a cheap Chinese toy. One of the silliest trends ever IMO.

LEDs are the greatest... You don't have the burnout issues, that regular bulb does and much less power drain.

I have seen tons of LED lights that look just like a regular bulb setup. It all depends on how they are used. You realize that most things are changing over to LED. Most traffic lights and other signal lights have moved over to LEDS for these reasons
Old 2/9/07, 01:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

LEDs are the future and will even surpass HIDs eventually. You can look forward to tens of thousands of hours for the lifespan versus hundreds or maybe thousands of hours with an incandescent.
Old 2/9/07, 01:37 PM
V6 Member

Now an led like on the Cadillacs are pretty nice. The Autozone looking ones are crap,long life or not.
Old 2/9/07, 02:11 PM
Cobra R Member

I got the LED brake light because the factory one is FUGLY, and it always looked like one was burnt out.

In terms of LED tails, they look neat, especially when lit. But, our tail lights have an LED look already, so I don't really see the need for them (especially with the LED brake light, as it makes the tails look even more LED like)

However, having sequentials built in is neat.
Old 2/9/07, 02:13 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Will the APC unit work with my Webelectric sequentials?
I'm honestly not sure. I believe that webelectric's website has some install notes regarding LED's. I think you need to wire something in so that it sees enough voltage for the sequential. (I can't think of the technical term for it, but I'm almost positive it's in their install notes)

I have been thinking about this mod to complement my LED third brake light (thanks mikesrx! )
No problem
Old 2/9/07, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by tsaints1115
Now an led like on the Cadillacs are pretty nice. The Autozone looking ones are crap,long life or not.
I would love some tail lights for our cars that looked like the Cadillace LEDs. It's look similar to what they are using on the reproduction Eleanors and that looks sick.
Old 2/9/07, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Is APC the only vendor that makes an LED third brake light? Where can we get one? Any pics and specs/details on FMVSS 108 compliance?
I believe APC just gets them from another manufacturer, because the name on the lens says "Eagle eyes". In terms of the details of compliance, I'm not sure. All I know is that it says DOT and SAE on the lens.

If you go on APC's website, you can find the part number. Any place that sells APC should be able to get it. I got it at my local Advance Auto parts

Here is the best pic I have right now:
Attachment 19103
Attached Thumbnails LED tail lamp housings-2005-mustang-014a.jpg  
Old 2/9/07, 02:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Eagle Eyes? Most of their lamps FAILED to comply with FMVSS 108. I would avoid that sh*t at all costs. Anyone can put "DOT SAE" on the lens to make the customer think they were buying FMVSS 108 compliant lamps.
Old 2/9/07, 03:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
I'm honestly not sure. I believe that webelectric's website has some install notes regarding LED's. I think you need to wire something in so that it sees enough voltage for the sequential. (I can't think of the technical term for it, but I'm almost positive it's in their install notes)

No problem

Yes you would need to add a resistor to work with the stock flasher.. Or they also sell flashers made to work with the LEDs
Old 2/9/07, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Eagle Eyes? Most of their lamps FAILED to comply with FMVSS 108. I would avoid that sh*t at all costs. Anyone can put "DOT SAE" on the lens to make the customer think they were buying FMVSS 108 compliant lamps.
I've never heard of eagle eyes, nor did I even know that I was getting that brand. Like I said, it is an "APC" part. When I opened it up, it had eagle eyes on the lens.

I agree that anyone could put DOT and SAE on the lens, but given APC's reputation, I'm not worried about it.

Now, if I was buying it under a no-name brand/seller, I would think otherwise.
Old 2/9/07, 03:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

APC's reputation is to put the word "American" on Korean and Chinese made parts. I bought some APC bulbs that were supposed to be 100W H4s (off-road use) and I too bought them thinking they were "American" quality products. It turns out they were made in Korea, and weren't really 100W bulbs. They were 55/65W bulbs that were tinted to make them somehow look like 100W bulbs. I promptly returned them. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eagle Eye lamps/lights were made in China or Korea. No offense to APC fans! I'm just recommending that you check out all the details before you part with your hard earned cash.
Old 2/9/07, 03:32 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tsaints1115
If you mean the one that just glows completely red and then the blinker is half of the light I agree, those look awesome. I hate the cheezy Acura type bulbs in a row LEDs, look cheap and are annoying to be behind.
Old 2/9/07, 03:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

APC=RICE. sylvania is good stuff, they make the saleen hids.
Old 2/9/07, 03:54 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The following vehicles have been tested by the Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance for compliance with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 - LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOC. EQUIPMENT for years(s) 2005. Highway Safety Number: 638344
Brand: AMERICAN PRODUCTS COMPANY
Model: HALOGEN
Year: 2005
Body Style: HB5
Pass/Fail: FAIL Performance
Investigation Status: NO ACTION

Highway Safety Number: 638267
Brand: EAGLE EYES
Model: FORD
Year: 2003
Body Style: F-150
Pass/Fail: FAIL Performance
Investigation Status: CLOSED BY NHTSA, SEE RECALL # 06E-052

ake: FORD Model: F150 Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 06E052000 Recall Date: June 12, 2006 Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HEADLIGHTS Potential Number Of Units Affected: 14616 Summary:
CERTAIN EAGLE EYES HEADLAMPS, P/NOS. FR208-B101R, FR208-B101L, FR208-B001R, AND FR208-B001L, SOLD FOR USE AS REPLACEMENT EQUIPMENT FOR THE PASSENGER VEHICLES LISTED ABOVE. THESE HEADLAMPS FAIL TO CONFORM TO THE PHOTOMETRIC REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 108, LAMPS, REFLECTIVE DEVICES, AND ASSOCIATED EQUIPMENT.
Consequence:
DECREASED LIGHTING VISIBILITY MAY RESULT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.
Remedy:
SABRY LEE WILL NOTIFY OWNERS AND OFFER FULL CREDIT FOR ANY NONCOMPLIANT HEADLAMP. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON JUNE 14, 2006. OWNERS MAY CONTACT SABRY LEE ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE AT 1-866-467-2279.

Quick Reply: LED tail lamp housings