2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather Interior Question

Search this Thread

Old 10/6/04, 01:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just talked to my dealer regarding my order, the K code seats (sport buckets) are the standard on premium orders. I was worried about getting the flat leather looking seats (J code) but apparently those are only optional seats for V6 and V8.
Old 10/6/04, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct -- you get the "non-sticky" leather seats found in the current Thunderbird (nearly identical) which are so friggin' comfy I could go to the dealership right now and fall asleep in them :sleep:
Old 10/6/04, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

If you go into the after-market for seats, I've been told none of the specialty racing seats are for "larger" folks. If you weigh more than 240 or so make sure you fit in what you're getting.
Old 10/6/04, 02:42 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by NewPony05@October 6, 2004, 1:50 PM
just talked to my dealer regarding my order, the K code seats (sport buckets) are the standard on premium orders. I was worried about getting the flat leather looking seats (J code) but apparently those are only optional seats for V6 and V8.
I don't think that's quite right. I think it goes like this:

The leather sport buckets are what you get on the GT. They are standard on the premium and optional on the deluxe.

The "flat" leather buckets are what you get on the V6. They are optional on the premium and not available on the deluxe.

The wild card is the ICAP (red leather). That is always sport buckets, and is available on both trim levels of both the V6 and GT.
Old 10/6/04, 02:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care either way I just want my leather sport buckets.
Old 10/6/04, 04:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TBird Ted+October 6, 2004, 8:56 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TBird Ted @ October 6, 2004, 8:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Badandy@October 6, 2004, 7:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-TBird Ted
@October 6, 2004, 5:04 AM
I have combination leather and cloth seats on order. Don't see them pictured? They are shown in the Toronto car show Satin Silver 2005!

Unforunately, you don't have those on order since they don't exist....
I have option K on order. Described as "leather-trimmed bucket." Dealer is checking but staff there said they were combination leather and cloth. That was on July 13th, when little information was available. I'll take either. JUST GIVE ME MY CAR!

Latest word is they aren't making mine because they've run out of manual transmissions. MINE IS AN AUTOMATIC. [/b][/quote]
Nope. You are getting full leather. There is no one with cloth and leather. Congratulations, it should look great. B)

BTW- Leather trimmed is just a nicer way of saying leather
Old 10/6/04, 04:55 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Badandy@October 6, 2004, 4:29 PM
BTW- Leather trimmed is just a nicer way of saying leather
Not always. "Leather seating surfaces", which is how Ford describes the seats in marketing materials, sometimes means vinyl on the sides, back or elsewhere. I have no idea if this is true for the Mustang.

I've never seen it mean leather and cloth, though.
Old 10/6/04, 04:57 PM
scs

The correct terminology (sp?) for the seats may be "leather seating surfaces".

I believe most other vehicles only use the leather on the parts your body touches
most often... sides/back are typically vinyl of some kind (Yea, I know some people
could be touching the back parts of their seat ALOT if they spend much time at
the sub races.... ;-)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I think that is what I've got in
my 03 yukon, only leather on seat bottom, seat back... sides and back and
other misc areas are vinyl....
Old 10/6/04, 05:39 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Drivetime@October 6, 2004, 4:40 PM
I don't really care for the vinyl like hides that are used on existing Mustangs and would prefer to have better quality leather but it appears it's about $600 more expensive for the aftermarket job.

Guess I know what to ask Santa for this year!
Don't Bother wasting your Money At an Upholstery Shop, Unless you just want a Different Color, Like the Light Blue. The Leather in the 05 GT is Nearly BMW Grade. It has a Nice, Low Gloss, Glow to it, and Is Soft and has a Nice Pebble Grain to it. Trust me I've sat in 2 Different 05 GT's with the ICAP and It Looks Phehomenal! Easily 100% Better than what Ford has Ever Used, Lincoln Included!

They are Only Leather Seating Surfaces, as some of you have mentioned, the Sides, Rear and Tops of the Seat are covered with Vinyl, and only the Seat Face and maybe Head Rest are Leather Covered. And it is a nicely Grained and Tactilley Friendly vinyl.

I say Leather Seating Surfaces, because I remember back in the Late 70's, Early 80's A Guy sued Nissan, because the Seats in his New 280 ZX were Not "Leather Upholstered" as Stated in the Sales Brochure. Nissan Lost, and had to have his seats Upholstered In Leather. Since then I have Never Seen a Brochure that said anything other than "Leather Seating Surfaces".
Old 10/7/04, 10:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Like TCS above - my car is also a V6 so if I do order Charcoal or Lt Graphite OEM leather it won't be the perforated and higher grade upholstery that comes on the GT Sport Bucket seat. The Verona grain may well be better than what is used on the 2005 model but I don't think anyone in the forums has commented about that unless I've missed it.

I wonder too - beyond the upholstery differences - are there any other structural differences with the sport bucket vs the std bucket used in the V6 Premium. Anyone know?????????