2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leather dash top

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/10, 01:27 PM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Leather dash top

Hey guys and gals

Is it possible to retro fit the leather dash top, y'know, the one from the Premier trim option. Any idea where to get them?

Cheers
Paul
Old 9/8/10, 03:17 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The entire dashtop is attached to the dash before the entire dash is installed in the vehicle. From Ford it is sold as an entire dash assembly and it is prohibitively expensive. There is no way to remove the dash top without removing the entire dash.

The guy that does the leather e-brake boots has been interested in making a retro-fit leather cover for some time but he has been concerned about designing it so that it will attach properly and have a finished look near the side defroster vents.

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/8/10 at 08:02 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 05:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
It was factory equipment on the Shelby GT500 and no other models.
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying I didn't order it on my 2007 GT Premium?
Old 9/8/10, 05:03 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this option in my 07 whipple. It was ok. But it showed ever little thing(dust, dirty) was just one more thing to condition.

Old 9/8/10, 05:05 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ipchay61
Not quite sure what you mean by this. Are you saying I didn't order it on my 2007 GT Premium?
Yeah, I have it on my '08 GT as well. Same stitching on the armrests and center console as the dash and that is one of the nicer things about the interior.

=Vic=
Old 9/8/10, 05:07 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oh yes! the leather cover on the center console was so nice!
Old 9/8/10, 06:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
nope. It was also on GT's with premier interior trim packages. I have it on my 07. And its vinyl not leather. No Mustang is leather.

Originally Posted by watchdevil
It was factory equipment on the Shelby GT500 and no other models. The entire dashtop is attached to the dash before the entire dash is installed in the vehicle. From Ford it is sold as an entire dash assembly and it is prohibitively expensive. There is no way to remove the dash top without removing the entire dash.

The guy that does the leather e-brake boots has been interested in making a retro-fit leather cover for some time but he has been concerned about designing it so that it will attach properly and have a finished look near the side defroster vents.
Old 9/8/10, 07:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Good luck Twin, I've always liked it in my '08 GT. Maybe find an automotive shop that does custom interior work and ask them to fab something up? Shouldn't be too hard for an experienced shop....

That stuff is vinyl... but it's pretty stout material and manages to look and feel the part. If you get it done custom, don't get any padding. And make sure to post pics!
Old 9/8/10, 08:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oops sorry guys! I goofed... Statement corrected...

Last edited by watchdevil; 9/8/10 at 08:03 PM.
Old 9/9/10, 06:59 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've been waiting for something like this. With all our members, someone has to have the skill to reproduce it. I mean you Javier!
Old 9/9/10, 11:01 AM
GTR Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for all the replies

To be honest, if it means the dash coming out, I'll pass. I'm not keen on introducing any squeaks or rattles.....I'm lucky as mines only has a couple of intermittent ones. It was just an idea to make the interior a little more classy, but I'm happy with it as is.

Last edited by Twin Turbo; 9/9/10 at 11:51 AM.
Old 9/9/10, 10:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Twin Turbo
Thanks for all the replies

To be honest, if it means the dash coming out, I'll pass. I'm not keen on introducing any squeaks or rattles.....I'm lucky as mines only has a couple of intermittent ones. It was just an idea to make the interior a little more classy, but I'm happy with it as is.

I just spent some time yesterday trying to get rid of some squeaks in my dashtop. The culprit is the edge of the dashtop at the base of the windshield. It's a thin floating sheet of plastic with nothing to absorb tension movement. Also, there is a support for the dash top that extends down and is secured to the upper firewall behind the gauges. The plastic on that is such that if you rub the mount with your fingers the sound amplifies. This is what is causing the creaking... slight movement of that mount against the firewall. I was able to investigate this by snapping out the end panel of the dash on the driver's side and working my hand up into the area.
Old 9/10/10, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

I bought a couple of them on ebay. One of them is a little banged up, the other one is in perfect condition. I'm going to take the one that is banged up and get it wrapped again by a car upolstery shop, and the one I'm removing, same deal. Although I'm planning on selling my 07 GT, I'm actively looking for a Parnelli Jones, which should have a NICE leather stiched dash
Old 9/10/10, 12:18 PM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guess i'm lucky, I have no dash rattles!
Old 9/10/10, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rony1976
I bought a couple of them on ebay. One of them is a little banged up, the other one is in perfect condition. I'm going to take the one that is banged up and get it wrapped again by a car upolstery shop, and the one I'm removing, same deal. Although I'm planning on selling my 07 GT, I'm actively looking for a Parnelli Jones, which should have a NICE leather stiched dash
How much did these run you on ebay?
Old 9/13/10, 01:02 PM
Cobra Member

The one with the scratches on was less than 100. The other one is in perfect condition, a little more expensive (and that's the one that will go in my next car). Once that's installed I'll be selling the 2 dashes I'm gonna have left over, and they'll be wrapped exactly like Ford did it. Last time I checked with some ford parts sales people, the best price I could get on that was close to $1,500 (most expensive I found it for was $2K, just for the dash). I'll be selling my 2 for around $500-600 a piece.
Old 9/13/10, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ill be doing this swap eventually with a complete dash i will be getting out of a wrecked gt500 :-).. Probably gunna be a pain, but its completes my FULL GT500 Interior Swap!
Old 9/14/10, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Antigini-GT/CS
Guess i'm lucky, I have no dash rattles!

As soon as the weather get a little cool, my dash rattles. I've been putting off dealing with this but I think the time is coming. Its too annoying. And I agree, the main culprit is the base of the dash top right near the windshield.
Old 10/3/10, 05:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rony1976
I'm actively looking for a Parnelli Jones, which should have a NICE leather stiched dash
No leather dash here
Old 10/6/10, 10:36 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by USMC0341
No leather dash here
I know! But mine is going to have it... here's my original post:

I bought a couple of them on ebay. One of them is a little banged up, the other one is in perfect condition... I'm actively looking for a Parnelli Jones, which should have a NICE leather stiched dash (I'm going to be installing it, I'm not saying it comes with the car).

Quick Reply: Leather dash top