2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Law enforcement is getting a piece of the action

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/05, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys was watching the news last night and they were showing video of a bust going down and in the video there were three V6 stangs with police lights, the kind they use inside the car when it's an unmarked car. I was blown away to see that. Has anyone else seen the police using Mustangs as unmarked cars? Does Ford have an agreement with lawenforcement to build special cars for them? I'm in South Florida and the next time I see a V6 stang I'm going to wonder if it's an undercover cop or not. I won't know if I should try to race him cuz I might get busted by him??
Old 3/9/05, 06:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by 98GT@March 9, 2005, 7:25 AM
Hey guys was watching the news last night and they were showing video of a bust going down and in the video there were three V6 stangs with police lights, the kind they use inside the car when it's an unmarked car. I was blown away to see that. Has anyone else seen the police using Mustangs as unmarked cars? Does Ford have an agreement with lawenforcement to build special cars for them? I'm in South Florida and the next time I see a V6 stang I'm going to wonder if it's an undercover cop or not. I won't know if I should try to race him cuz I might get busted by him??
I wonder why they would be using V6 stangs? the GA state patrol used to have 5.0 Mustangs for high-speed pursuits. they were marked but didn't have a lightbar on top.
Old 3/9/05, 06:47 AM

We had 5.0 GT's as regular marked cars here in Florida as well back in the 80's with the light bar on top. I am assuming because of the fact they are undercover cars and not used for high speed pursuits that they don't need to be GT's. The V6's have just about the same horsepower if not more than some of the old 5.0 GT's of the 80's and late 90's.
Old 3/9/05, 06:53 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Ford builds the police interceptors, upgraded Crown Vics. I think those are the only law enforcement specific vehicles that they build.
Old 3/9/05, 06:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
holderca1 is right on the money.
All I can think of is that
some undercover units lease vehicles as they
tend to get "burned" so often.
Sounds like this might be the case.
Was it a drug case?
Old 3/9/05, 07:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 9, 2005, 7:56 AM
Ford builds the police interceptors, upgraded Crown Vics. I think those are the only law enforcement specific vehicles that they build.
Currently they make several "Police Vehicles".
The CV, and all on their SUV Line can be ordered as "Special Service Police Vehicles".
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/special...cles/Police.asp
Old 3/9/05, 07:49 AM

I don't think I have ever seen an SUV police vehicle except for Security Forces on base, but those aren't Fords. Maybe those are for Fire Departments which the Fire Chiefs use SUV's as mobile command centers at emergency locations.
Old 3/9/05, 08:22 AM
Bullitt Member

South Carolina used to have the 5.0's as well... A couple of my friends learned the hard way not to run from them. They were replaced with Camaros, but that's neither here nor there. It would make sense for them to use cars like that, they are being bought up at a fast rate, so they're getting more and more common, and they don't have the unmarked car "look."

Holderca1, as for police using SUV's... My wife and I drove down to Hilton Head for our vacation a few years ago, and we saw a blue Dodge Durango with embedded police flashers pulling over someone as we drove past. When we were on our way back, we saw the same Dodge Durango at another stop. Both of these were on I-95 just about even with Myrtle Beach.

They're out there, guys, be careful! I wonder if the police will start using modified GT's for interceptors like the good old days?

- Eric
Old 3/9/05, 08:23 AM
Cobra R Member

He doesnt need to worry about tickets from the SUV line. Those are for K-9 and Evidence, etc.
And the second I say that I will hear someone say they received a ticket from someone in a Windstar or something.
Old 3/9/05, 08:29 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 9, 2005, 8:52 AM
I don't think I have ever seen an SUV police vehicle except for Security Forces on base, but those aren't Fords. Maybe those are for Fire Departments which the Fire Chiefs use SUV's as mobile command centers at emergency locations.
Not Fords obviously, but the Bowling Green, KY police (I know...where?!) use Suburbans quite frequently. I think every sergeant drives one.
Old 3/9/05, 08:31 AM

Its close to Mammoth Cave.
Old 3/9/05, 08:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 9, 2005, 9:34 AM
YES! I assume you have been to Mammoth Cave then?
Old 3/9/05, 08:35 AM

Yes, a couple of times.
Old 3/9/05, 08:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by holderca1@March 9, 2005, 9:34 AM
YES! I assume you have been to Mammoth Cave?

EDIT: Sorry....excuse the double post. Computer froze up....didn't think it went through.
Old 3/9/05, 08:37 AM
Cobra R Member

Sergeants dont write tickets....
DO THEY ORIGINAL SIN!
Old 3/9/05, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Up here in Vancouver, Wa. they have a small force of tuner cars that look like street racers. They usually run them late at night and get people to race them then nail them with something a long the lines of wreckless endangerment.

They have a Subaru WRX, Mazda 6, Honda Accord Coupe, Camaro, and a few others.
Old 3/9/05, 10:23 AM
V6 Member

In mass my friend and I got stopped after going through a red light by a SVT Focus. We were laughing our a**es off after he left.
Old 3/9/05, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BigWorm2005GT@March 9, 2005, 10:25 AM
South Carolina used to have the 5.0's as well... A couple of my friends learned the hard way not to run from them. They were replaced with Camaros, but that's neither here nor there. It would make sense for them to use cars like that, they are being bought up at a fast rate, so they're getting more and more common, and they don't have the unmarked car "look."

Holderca1, as for police using SUV's... My wife and I drove down to Hilton Head for our vacation a few years ago, and we saw a blue Dodge Durango with embedded police flashers pulling over someone as we drove past. When we were on our way back, we saw the same Dodge Durango at another stop. Both of these were on I-95 just about even with Myrtle Beach.

They're out there, guys, be careful! I wonder if the police will start using modified GT's for interceptors like the good old days?

- Eric

Where I live the police officers have Explorers, Crown Vics, Econoline Patty Wagons, and Expeditions!! They might as well go the whole 9 yards and soak up the rest of the Ford fleet!! Ahhh, the chevy Camaro !! Was chevy thinking when they killed that car for the :notnice: SSR :notnice: ???????????

Matt
Old 3/9/05, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by Stadifer@March 9, 2005, 10:59 AM
Up here in Vancouver, Wa. they have a small force of tuner cars that look like street racers. They usually run them late at night and get people to race them then nail them with something a long the lines of wreckless endangerment.

They have a Subaru WRX, Mazda 6, Honda Accord Coupe, Camaro, and a few others.
Isn't that entrapment?
Old 3/9/05, 11:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm not sure exactly how they work it... It's possible they do not issue a citation at the time and just give the hand-slap to avoid entrapment charges.

Of course I don't see how it could be entrapment if the unmarked call just revved his engine at a stop light and the idiot next to him takes off. I'd actually have to read the entrapment guidelines.

Quick Reply: Law enforcement is getting a piece of the action