2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Lady Just Backed into me!

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/05 | 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm sitting in Dunkin Doughnuts parking lot as I do everyday minding my own business eating my Bluberry muffin. I look in rear view just in time to see the **** end of an SUV then BAM. I'm like WTF! I get out and if she didn't see me, I could tell she was just going to leave. She sees me, stops gets out, "oh I'm so sorry". Her entire rear bumper clearly has a history of many more of these incidents. We went over and looked at my car, there are a bunch of fine scratches on the right side rear bumper, and one rund one abut 1/4" diameter hopefully they can be buffed out. I told her if they can't, she will be hearing from me. Just pi$$es me off, how can people be so stupid?? I was pulled up close to the bulding parked and she had all the room in the world to back up, not even close to being crowed there. :bang: I"m going out to take a picture. Just had to vent.
Old 7/1/05 | 09:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Join the club. My Neighbor back up into me in his Jimmy. # very good scratches on the bumper. It ended up costing him about 700 bucks with a rental car and everything. I just got her back yeasterday and the darn auto body shop didn't fix the broken liscense plate light housing and there is a bubble in the paint. . I am pissed and am speaking to the manager of such a poor job they did.

Matt
Old 7/1/05 | 09:49 AM
FR500 Member

notice how its always women in SUV's who always do this crap......if she drove away i woulda chased her and got her plate....leaving the scene of an accident is a biiiig crime.....make her pay
Old 7/1/05 | 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Something similar happened to me the other day. I was parked, getting ready to leave, when someone was parallel parking in a spot in front of me. Beemer. Huge spot. Dude's backing in toward me, getting closer and close. When he's a couple feet away, I lay on the horn, and keep it on, screaming "hey! hey!"

Of course, what happens? - guy hits me! As I'm sitting there laying down on the horn.

I slammed my fist on the wheel, yanked the parking break up, screamed and stormed out of the car. An old guy gets out of the car, comes out, goes, "yep, that was entirely my fault. well, take a look, see if I did any damage." Well, at least he was fessing up and not giving me any guff.

I looked carefully for a good 2 minutes or so, didn't see a single scratch, not even a hair. Whew. He backed into me at a really slow speed - maybe he just hit the plate. Anyway, I was like, "ok, fine, I don't see anything. It's just a brand new car, you know?" (explaining why I was so upset.

He tried to apologize some more, but I just got in my car and drove away. Was still pissed - how could you not pay attention to my horn and screams? - but at least there was no damage.
Old 7/1/05 | 09:53 AM
Team Mustang Source

That stinks, but you did the right thing. I assume you exchanged insurance info and filled out a police report. If not, you may want to do so. It can really help out with insurance. Take plenty of pictures from all angles and document what happened and approximately when and how it happened so you have notes. Being as it seems that she is a repeat offender it may also be good idea to do this in case she denies it to try and escape further insurance rate raises.

Good luck Robyn in getting your car fixed and remember, if you don't like how it looks when they buff it, have it completely fixed, its your car and you have the right to have it repaired correctly.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks everyone and Jack and Matt, sorry to hear about your cars. I got her plate and name, number etc. My husband is a cop so if I need to I'm sure we can find her. Heres a picture, it's tough to see in the pic as its a real dark and rainy day. My car is filthy and thats why I didn't see the fine scratches till I got back to work here.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:07 AM
Team Mustang Source

I can see them even in the pics. Good job.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:09 AM
I Have No Life

man that stinks. They may buff out I just hope the paint is not cracked underneath.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah, the only spot I'm really worried about is that round one. It feels real rough almost like a cigarette burn. I think I will leave work early and go wash and try the clay bar on it first then maybe some Z5?
Old 7/1/05 | 10:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by robynspony@July 1, 2005, 9:49 AM
Just pi$$es me off, how can people be so stupid??

and unfortunately I have had my fair share of encounters with dumb people, for example people who think the red light in a traffic light is just a suggestion to stop :bang:

Some people just flat out dont care about their vehicle Either its a beater that gets them to point a to b, or <insert rich relative> buys them whatever car they want when they feel like it.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:26 AM
V6 Member

About a month ago I was filling up my tank at a gas station and some idiot mom in a minivan backs up into my rear quarterpanel. I got so angry and then she came out of the car and ran to the back of her vehicle and just opened her mouth.. I'm sitting here like "HELLO COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE MORE RUDE?" So I call 911 and they send a police officer... wrote her a citation... and her insurance company had to pay the whole thing with her having to pay a 250 dollar deductable. The damage wasn't horrible, a dent about the size of a baseball, but it wasn't deep at all.
Old 7/1/05 | 10:42 AM
Big Falken Tires

GGRRRRRRR!!! :angry: :bang:

Sorry that happened Robyn!!!
Old 7/1/05 | 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do people not look behind them when they are backing up? These people sholdn't be allowed to drive because they are the ones causing these rush hour accidents. clueless!!!!
Old 7/1/05 | 11:29 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

that stinks....at least she didnt pull the its just a car bit and get pissed at you because you care like the lady that parked her car on my bumper a couple of months back, oh and I am only getting grey in the pic
Old 7/1/05 | 11:30 AM

I would have filed a police report and insurance report with her company, just to make sure it is as much a hassle for her as humanly possible. It drives me nuts how these oafs in SUVs suddenly seem to think they are immune to the laws of physics and the inevitable consequences of their careless ways.

I think the attitude of many of these buffoons is to encapsulate themselves in the biggest bunker of a vehicle possible so that they themselves are ostensibly safe (debatable actually) and then cede all personal responsibility for safety to the Gods of fate and chance. Thus relieved of all personal responsibility for their driving actions, they thus drive accordingly, i.e., very carelessly and thoughtlessly, and you are an unfortunate victim of such an attitude.

Active safety, i.e., the driver taking an active and responsible role in AVOIDING accidents is by far the greatest safety measure one can take. Cocooning oneself in a veritable tank in an attempt to maximize the far less effective secondary safety, i.e., surviving an accident once blundering into it, does not absolve one's primary responsibility in terms of active safety and is a far more dangerous overall approach for all. Judging by the battered condition of her rear bumper, she is a card-carrying member of this latter sect.

Thus I think it is quite important that she be faced with the consequences of her driving actions and errors at any opportunity to hopefully drive it into her skull that SHE is primarily responsible for the operation of her vehicle, her safety and that of her fellow drivers. To let her walk away without feeling the sting of consequence for her thoughtless, selfish and dangerous attitude will only reinforce her passive role in the safe operation of her vehicle.

The next person she dim-wittedly backs into might well be a tot on a trike or someone’s grandmother with her walker.

Sorry for the rant, but I’ve been bumbled into by too many mouth-breathers to count.
Old 7/1/05 | 11:47 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'm telling you, this is really freaky, almost as if these cars have "hit me" signs on them. We have to be extra careful cause it just seems to me that these things are targets.

:scratch:
Old 7/1/05 | 12:00 PM
Bullitt Member

I know... my car is WHITE, sticks out like a sore thumb. She had to have had her eyes closed not to see it. The more I think about it, the madder I get and I think I will contact her insurance co. I'm sure I'm not the only one by the look of her car.

Going to stop by the body shop on the way home and see what he thinks.
Old 7/1/05 | 12:09 PM
Queen Of Nascar

That just blows!! Good Luck.
Old 7/1/05 | 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

i know what you guys are talking about, 3 weeks ago the stupid paper woman backed up into my gf car i saw the whole thing she drove off in her GMC envoy i got the plate call the cops the cop shows up never even gets out of his car...then says he ran the plate and it came up returned...turns out i was off a letter my gf called the cops to give them the right plate and nothing they didnt even look into it we filed a insurance report and turns out they both have the same insurance.

but since the lady had like a weeks notice no damage to her SUV plus it help out her husband is a worcester police officer which is the city i live in so we called the paper to complain but they dont take complaints on sub contracted drivers...nice...turns out my gf had to buy a new headlight and pay for it herself....got love it
Old 7/1/05 | 12:21 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

you definately want to stop and have a professional look at it, the scratches may be all you can see but it she creased it at all, or put a slight bend in the bumper, then as it stretches back to its original shape and flexes in the sun (minimal but normal, it does this as it heats up and cools down, the material expands and contracts) the paint will start to flake and chip down the road and then you will bescrewed because you didnt have her fix it when you shouldve, just have them take care of it, its on her to foot the bill. The lady that bumped mine, flipped out because there was such minimal damage that it shouldnt have been worth her time, I took it in the next morning to her insurance companies adjuster, and it was over $500 to fix.

I almost had someone hit my car last night while driving. I was on my way out of work on the main busy street, not too busy because it was at night, and the person in the SUV to my right decides that they are going to change lanes by making what looked like it wouldve been a left hand turn from the right lane. I was right next to them and they didnt just start to move over and didnt look, they made a complete hard left into my lane as if they were trying to make it all the way across and turn into the opposite parking lot. Fortunately I caught this out of the corner of my eye and I moved to my left and gased it to move out of the way, but it seriously came within an inch of taking out my passenger door. They didnt even notice and continued on their marry way. I am glad this car can get up and go whenever you need it to.

Quick Reply: Lady Just Backed into me!