2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12/30/04, 01:48 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonight I was driving around with one of my buddy’s and twice I floored it off the line and it has been raining so the roads are wet and I'm not sure if it was the trac control making this loud knocking sound or maybe it was me hitting the rev limiter. It was like the whole car knocked until I shifted into 2nd. Any idea guys? Thanks Kevin
Old 12/30/04, 02:50 AM
Cobra Member

I believe the traction control is just the brakes, it applies braking to the rear to keep the tires from spinning. Could turn it off and try to duplicate the sound. Rev limmiter just shuts off fuel, so the engine will seem to die for a moment.

Not sure without hearing it what it could be, but real sure it's not the TC or rev limmiter.

Was it the motor knocking or a knocking from suspension maybe, axle hop?
Old 12/30/04, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
traction control cuts ignition when it senses wheel slip.... you shouldn't hear a knocking sound, unless of course the wet road was also causing some wheel hop.. but then the whole car would feel like it was shaking itself apart..

i havent driven a mustang yet, but on other cars with TC that i've driven, if you floor it and TC is trying to prevent wheel slip by cutting ignition, the engine sounds like its wheezing or chugging... not knocking.
Old 12/30/04, 06:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

I've had a chance to engage the traction control - quite embarrasing actually. I got my car stuck in the mud in my front yard after a very heavy rain. In the process of getting it out, the traction control kicked in. It made some knocking noise similar to the the noises made by the ABS system - and the traction control light came on in the message display. Somehow I think that this could have been what you experienced, especially if it was wet out and you stomped on it. The thing to do is repeat it with the traction control on, and then with it off again and see what happens. Experimenting is fun
Old 12/30/04, 06:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have my GT and have engange traction control in the snow a few times already.

It does not use the brakes, it does feather the engine down. In fact, mine got down to about 1000 rpms no matter how much gas I gave it.

There definetely no extra noise made by the system. It was real quite. The only two indications that it was on was the steady, low RPMs and the message center said "Traction Control Active."