2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Killed

Search this Thread

Old 8/13/07, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TUNGSTALLION
Don't worry dude. I got smoked by a Mitsubishi Galant. I don't pick too many fights anymore. I couldn't believe the way he destroyed me. To make things worse, I got stuck at a light next to him and had to endure a very painful 30 to 60 seconds of his laughter.

I felt like a turd.

How did you manage getting smoked by a Galant? Please tell me you were trailing an 18 wheeler behind you!
Old 8/13/07, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they really went wrong with the goat. why make a new car, and call it a gto? people want a real gto, and slapping that name on any car that does not look like a 60's gto, was dumb. if they would have named it something different and just introduced it as a new car, it would have sold better. people were expecting a goat, not that thing.
Old 8/13/07, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Emperor008
How did you manage getting smoked by a Galant? Please tell me you were trailing an 18 wheeler behind you!
Yea, explain that please. How the heck did that happen? Did you have an elephant in the trunk?
Old 8/13/07, 07:54 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Emperor008
I don't know. Probably had some light modifications to his car. He was faster than me though. I really love my car and have turned down trading it in on many occasions, but after that I really don't think the Mustangs are that fast. <--I know I'll take **** for that. But "a galant?"

For two years with the GT now I have been challenged by just about everything. I will usually go until about 60. To my surprise, if your not all out HAMMERING it from a dead stop you will have a tough time just casually smoking someone. It just seems you have to open her all the way up. Which attracts too much attention. It could be the altitude here in Denver that affects the performance of the car. But it should affect the other guy also? I don't know. For a Mustang it should be layin the beat down on about 90 % of the **** on the road. I have had accords. altima 3.5's, 300's, keep up with me.
Old 8/13/07, 09:21 PM
GT Member

I don't know. Probably had some light modifications to his car. He was faster than me though. I really love my car and have turned down trading it in on many occasions, but after that I really don't think the Mustangs are that fast. <--I know I'll take **** for that. But "a galant?"

For two years with the GT now I have been challenged by just about everything. I will usually go until about 60. To my surprise, if your not all out HAMMERING it from a dead stop you will have a tough time just casually smoking someone. It just seems you have to open her all the way up. Which attracts too much attention. It could be the altitude here in Denver that affects the performance of the car. But it should affect the other guy also? I don't know. For a Mustang it should be layin the beat down on about 90 % of the **** on the road. I have had accords. altima 3.5's, 300's, keep up with me.
You have to press that little pedal on the right...there is no way you should even be challenged by those lightweights.
Old 8/13/07, 09:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

maybe there is something wrong with your car. there is no way they should have been able to keep up. my friend drives an 06 lancer ralliart, and i smoke his a$$ every time. there is no way you should be that slow.
Old 8/13/07, 11:31 PM
FR500 Member

its a pretty fast bar of soap
Old 8/14/07, 05:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
should have known better about the gto
Old 8/14/07, 06:26 AM
V6 Member

Tung,...

we are talking about your V6, correct???
Old 8/14/07, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
should have known better about the gto
“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not your enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.â€

Sun Tzu - The Art of War

Moral of the story, "Don't Bring A Knife To A Gun Fight"
Old 8/14/07, 09:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jonztang
Tung,...

we are talking about your V6, correct???
Sorry but I have a GT.
Old 8/14/07, 10:25 AM
GT Member

My theory about the GTO is this: It's like dropping an SC in a Pinto...sure, it is faster than a GT, but it is still a piece of crap.

Tung, I think you need to get your GT looked at because there is something wrong. I own an Accord (2000 six banger) and driving it is like driving Miss Daisy compared to my slightly modded GT. There is noooo way my Accord can even remotely keep up with my GT.
Old 8/14/07, 10:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

I raced my buddie's old '04 GTO once. It was a 6 speed, 350hp, and it was a good race. I got him off the line, he caught up in 2nd. By the end of 3rd I was pulling away. Both cars were totally stock, he had an extra person in the car, I didn't.

He traded it in for an '05 about 6 months later, the ones with 400hp. I think he was embarrassed his almighty GTO got spanked.
Old 8/14/07, 12:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jpro
Think about it...MSRP of around $25K for the Stang and $33K for the GTO. Just imagine what you could do to your Stang with $8K. Can anyone say supercharger? Then you would smoke any GTO out there. But, stock vs. stock the GTO is quicker.

As for looks, I'd rather roll in a red radio flyer wagon than the GTO. It looks like a Grand Prix hatchback. It may be the worst design ever, especially when you consider the mid-late 60's GTOs. They were sweet!
I actually like the GTO's quite a bit. Very understated look- I like the subtlety of them. Very nice interior- biggest problem is the rear seats won't fold down due to the location of the gas tank. And when I was looking, dealers were offering $34K GTO's for $27K right away on leftover brand new '05's and one guy went to $25.5K without much of a fight. Basically, the price gap between the GTO's and Mustang GT was basically eliminated but I got the GT anyway but could have gone either way.
Old 8/14/07, 01:42 PM

I was well aware of what the gto was packing(thats why I specified 05 and not just a new gto). And as for the look of the gto it's not that bad, but it's not screaming drop $35k on me plz. If your going to bring back a car like that, get it right like dodge has with the upcoming challenger.
Old 8/14/07, 01:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tacobellfiredept
I was well aware of what the gto was packing(thats why I specified 05 and not just a new gto). And as for the look of the gto it's not that bad, but it's not screaming drop $35k on me plz. If your going to bring back a car like that, get it right like dodge has with the upcoming challenger.
I agree...the GTO is a GTO in name only. It doesn't have the "spirit" of the classic GTO.
Old 8/14/07, 07:14 PM
Bullitt Member

No doubt the GTO is rather fast, but at the end of the day, it still ain't a Mustang.
Old 8/14/07, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by tacobellfiredept
My car may be one day as fast as his, but his car will never look as good as mine
True that. Mustang looks tons cooler. Besides, with the money you saved getting a Stang instead of a GTO, you can get mods to absolutely destroy them and still have money left over.

Don't worry dude. I got smoked by a Mitsubishi Galant. I don't pick too many fights anymore. I couldn't believe the way he destroyed me. To make things worse, I got stuck at a light next to him and had to endure a very painful 30 to 60 seconds of his laughter.

I felt like a turd.
What a f-ing ***** for sitting at the light laughing at you. People like that have inferiority complexes. Whenever I "kill" someone, I usually try to give them the thumbs up... and they usually smile and return it. Much better than rubbing it in their faces.

Oh oh, I have a story. I was driving home from picking up some burgers when a very aggressively driving GTO pulled up on me. He got next to me and gave me a really big cocky smirk as in "you wanna try me?" We were going about 40 mph right next to each other, when we got to a straight, relatively safe stetch of road (no other cars, it was late at night). We both gunned it and my 420 twin-screw-generated-rear-wheel-horses-of-power just left him in the dust. I slowed down to give him the thumbs up, but he wouldn't get next to me and turn off a side street. Was satisfying cuz of his instigating cocky smirk.
Old 8/14/07, 10:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

At least you got beat by something like a GTO.

I was having a late 80s/early 90s Celica keeping up with me the other day. I guess it was modified and/or just lightweight? I don't know. I finally decided to just slow down and let him pass me, not worth getting a ticket.

He just smiled when he went by, I did too.

I did beat a BMW tonight though. The front of his BMW was staying about at my trunk half the time, then moved back after like 40 or 50. It was either a 3-series or 6-series? The 6-series seems pretty fast, so I doubt it was a 6-series. Fun none-the-less, and he slowed down a bunch so that he wouldn't have to get beside me.
Old 8/15/07, 06:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
I actually like the GTO's quite a bit. Very understated look- I like the subtlety of them. Very nice interior- biggest problem is the rear seats won't fold down due to the location of the gas tank. And when I was looking, dealers were offering $34K GTO's for $27K right away on leftover brand new '05's and one guy went to $25.5K without much of a fight. Basically, the price gap between the GTO's and Mustang GT was basically eliminated but I got the GT anyway but could have gone either way.
I completely agree! My brother just got a brand new '06 GTO for about $27K, 0% financing. True, it doesn't have the exterior looks of the Mustang, but its understated look has grown on me quite a bit and the view of it in the rear view mirror is downright intimidating.

It's interior is worthy of any $60k+ European sedan. Very nice job by GM.

Stock for stock, the GTO will take the Mustang in a straight line, but with my mods (intake/tune/pullies/delete plates), we are dead even and I even pull on the GTO a little bit. Keep in mind that they are 400-500 lbs. heavier than our car and they don't hook as well from a dig. Problem is that with a 6.0 liter base, we will never win the power game...

Handling is a completely different story. You would think that with the IRS, the GTO would have an advantage. No way. Stock for stock, the Mustang can outhandle the GTO. With my suspension mods, the GTO feels like an absolute steaming pile of dung. Heavy, numb, slow steering, squish everywhere, inability to run negative camber, no clearance for larger tires, etc... It'll take about $3k in suspension mods to turn it into a decent handler.

Bottom line is that I'll take my Mustang, but I have developed a tremendous amount of respect for the GTO. Very nice car, particularly for the money.

Quick Reply: Killed