2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just traded...

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/13, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ford4v429
something about the sound of that V8, rowing thru the gears...the GT price difference is worth it for the sound alone

in my opinion (highly biased) youve got a better looking car now...I think the 05-09 body looks better than anything other than the 69, but the 69 was a falcon that gained a half ton underneath... love the looks of my 69, but it will likely never be as good a car as the S197. that 10-up interior is a beauty though
Yes, the 69 is my favorite. I have a feeling that our next Mustang purchase will be a 69 (when the kids are out of college - 4 more years). The only thing that I miss about the '10 is the interior. They are really nice, but then again, it'll be fun making this one really nice. I'll be getting leather seats in a few weeks. Black with silver inserts. Really looking forward to that.
Old 2/10/13, 08:02 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tu3218

Yeah nothing can compete with the sound of a v8. My friend with an 10 v6, added dual exhuast to his. Now it is very loud surprisingly, but its very apparent its a v6. A lot more tingy, hollow, and imo, almost ricer sounding.

I like both body styles. There's certain angles for both styles that I like and others I don't. But the 05-09 definitely maintains a more classic look and I think 20 years from now, will be the more eloquent style.
Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Agree on all points. I have seen and heard several Sixers that had gone dual and they just sounded kind of "thin" and "Honda-ish" to me. I was seriously thinking of them, due to fuel economy, but my brother said "just go ahead and get a GT now and you won't have to do a lot of stuff right off the bat." Great advice from the guy who first introduced me to muscle cars in the 70s.

When I was looking for mine, I decided early that I didn't want anything newer than 2009 because of the body style change.
The front of the newer ones is OK, but the new narrower rear end is more ... (no offense to those that have them) ... girlish to me.

Now don't get me wrong, I would have LOVED to get another 5.0 like the newer ones have, but I am very happy with the 4.6 and its "mod-ability."
Give me y'all's opinion on my exhaust.
Old 2/10/13, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel

Give me y'all's opinion on my exhaust.
Sounds pretty good. A little better than my friends I'd say. Is yours a custom exhaust by a shop or a kit from a site? I'm sure the exhaust an what kind is going to affect the sound. As well as H vs X pipe.
Old 2/10/13, 08:32 PM
GTR Member

Sounds pretty good. A little better than my friends I'd say. Is yours a custom exhaust by a shop or a kit from a site? I'm sure the exhaust an what kind is going to affect the sound. As well as H vs X pipe.
Go to my thread
Old 2/10/13, 08:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

OP, I suggest getting some axle back exhaust for your new car. Definitely makes it sound soooo much better. I have pypes bomb and I love it. Pretty easy install too. Plus the 4" tips look great.
Old 2/10/13, 10:16 PM
GT Member

Yeah, the Skoundrel probably spent some $$ on his system so it sounds better than most. Just a little high-pitched for my taste.

Kinda like singers: The V8 is Adele and the V6 is Katy Perry. Both are excellent singers and have lots of fans, Adele is just deeper and more mature-sounding.
Old 2/10/13, 10:18 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Nunja Business
Yeah, the Skoundrel probably spent some $$ on his system so it sounds better than most. Just a little high-pitched for my taste.

Kinda like singers: The V8 is Adele and the V6 is Katy Perry. Both are excellent singers and have lots of fans, Adele is just deeper and more mature-sounding.
Ha good point
Old 2/11/13, 05:50 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP, I suggest getting some axle back exhaust for your new car. Definitely makes it sound soooo much better. I have pypes bomb and I love it. Pretty easy install too. Plus the 4" tips look great.
Not real knowledgeable on this, but I was told that it's the factory exhaust, and it has Flowmaster mufflers. It sounds incredible already. What would an axle back exhaust do?
Old 2/11/13, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by sid719e
Not real knowledgeable on this, but I was told that it's the factory exhaust, and it has Flowmaster mufflers. It sounds incredible already. What would an axle back exhaust do?
Oh yeah sorry, missed that. You're probably just fine leaving them in than. It really just adds an amazing sound. It was the first mod I did to my mustang. But I was coming from stock exhaust with everything. Since you already have flowmasters it wouldn't be as much of a jump. Plus if your happy with the sound, you could do another mod first. But I have these http://www.americanmuscle.com/pypebo...back-0510.html. You can view all their axle back exhausts and a lot of them have sound clips so you can compare. I'd go under your car and see if you can tell what kind of flowmaster mufflers you have. Then you could compare them to other exhausts. All just a matter of opinion on sound.

But these are muffler delete and would add more sound. I've only had my car around a year now so I don't know that much either but definitely love the muffler delete pypes bomb. Made my mustang sound so much more aggressive. If you're happy with sound, check out the CAI's and Tunes through American Muscle. Easiest way to gain 15-30 hp with just plug in tuner or even adding a CAI. I did both and its transformed my car.

Last edited by tu3218; 2/11/13 at 06:08 PM.