2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just got the August Car and Driver

Search this Thread

Old 7/1/04, 06:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is absolutely no mention of the 05 Mustang!?! They even had a section where they showed cars soon to be released and it wasn't there! Does C&D have something against Ford, or are they holding back for the September issue?

AAaaarg! :bang:
Old 7/1/04, 06:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
They've already had an issue where they talked about the '05 Mustang. I'm sure they're waiting until they can get their hands on one before they do another story.
Old 7/1/04, 07:09 PM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They're biased against Ford for some reason. I consider them a bunch of snobs, and they can keep their subscriptions to themselves. :notnice:
Old 7/1/04, 07:25 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 1, 2004, 7:12 PM
They're biased against Ford for some reason. I consider them a bunch of snobs, and they can keep their subscriptions to themselves. :notnice:
I always was pissed when they called the 5.0 a 4.9. They were ACTUALLY correct but the only publication to call it a 4.9.

I think the "major" mags will cover the car in September.
Old 7/1/04, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

i prefer motor trend myself...
Old 7/1/04, 08:26 PM

In the month of September, or the September issue?
Old 7/1/04, 08:29 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally posted by ChromeYellowGT@July 1, 2004, 8:29 PM
In the month of September, or the September issue?
I have no hard eveidence, but I would think the October issue. (Coming out in September) Sorry not to clarify. This is just my opinion. I don't think it would be later.
Old 7/1/04, 09:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05Mustangfan@July 1, 2004, 8:26 PM
i prefer motor trend myself...
This is not meant to be a flame towards the original poster, but rather at MT.

Nobody is perfect, but I've seen Motor Trend have it's fill of bias. I once saw a review where one vehicle was clearly the best in a three car showdown and it they gave it the "winner" status. The next two were definately a step down from the winner, but second place could easily be determined by looking at their data/stats page.

One of the two remaining vehicles had more acceleration, more horsepower, more torque, more payload and more interior room. The sad truth is, they gave this vehicle last place. No real explaination for it, except for "we just don't like it's styling It looks as square as the box it came in."

While vehicle styling is important, many of these car rags tend to focus on subjective points rather than objective ones.
Old 7/1/04, 09:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what do you expect, C&D is French owned :notnice:
Old 7/1/04, 10:01 PM
GT Member

Ive seen a C&D mag once,,,(think i still have it somewhere),,,where they compare a Superduty,,,,,Silverado,,,,,and a Tundra,,,,,,,,,According from what i remember,,,,,,,the Tundra won,,,,,Silverado 2nd,,,,,,and Superduty last. :scratch:

I wouldnt take anything in those mags for granted,,,its all in what the guy who writes it thinks.
Old 7/1/04, 11:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@July 1, 2004, 9:43 PM
dont get me started...
Old 7/2/04, 06:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by its_amazing@July 1, 2004, 10:04 PM
According from what i remember,,,,,,,the Tundra won,,,,,Silverado 2nd,,,,,,and Superduty last. :scratch:
Wow. Now there is some obvious bias. The Tundra isn't even in the same class of pickups as the Super Duty. The F-150 would have been a better comparision, and even that truck should easily beat the Tundra in most categories.
Old 7/2/04, 08:19 AM
Bullitt Member

I don't like C&D there too much into the foreign market and not the domestic hence there version of the top 10...... :crazy:
Old 7/2/04, 09:05 AM
Cobra Member

Car and Driver and Motor trend never seem to get good Quarter mile times out of the Stangs, like the other rags do!

I think Car and Driver favors imports anyway! I like MT over them!
Old 7/2/04, 09:09 AM
GT Member

I will continue to read C&D for their opinion just to see what others who like the imports have to say about the mustang. But as far as a subscription I would rather get Muscle Mustang and fast fords. I will as say that MT is better than C&D as well.
Old 7/2/04, 09:29 AM
Cobra Member

Just about to post that...
Old 7/2/04, 10:46 AM

My guess is that C&D is probably holding back to make a big splash with the Stang in September, when it gets released to John Q. Public. C&D is probably my favorite magazine, with, I think, the best writing and a broad perspective on cars and performance. They're not perfect, no magazine is, but I think overall, they give most cars, the Mustang included, a fair appraisal considering their criteria and perspectives.

I think what gets a lot of people's goat on this board is that they do take a much broader perspective on performance and cars than many/most on this board, which tend to focus, rather myopically I might say, on simple off the line acceleration, with all other dynamic aspects being rather distant on the horizon. "Braking, ride, handling, balance, ergonomics, ... who cares about all that stuff as long as its cheap, loud and turns in good numbers at the local drag strip." If anything, I think they've always harbored a bit of a soft spot for the gray old mare in spite of itself and themselves.

Thus, while the Mustang has always done quite well in that one narrow criteria, its ancient, creaking chassis, mediocre ergonomics, reliance on too many tacky styling cliches and general crudeness, tends to fair not so well against more well rounded competitors from whatever country of origin.

But don't forget they rated the antedeluvian Mach I ahead of several far newer and more sophisticated competitors in a recent comparison test. And I think the new S197, with something approaching a modern chassis, oxcart axle excepted, and overall design that addresses many/most of the Mustang's perenial weak points, will receive a very positive review by C&D.
Old 7/2/04, 10:46 AM

Meaning...????
Old 7/2/04, 11:16 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

all the mags are pretty much about equal i feel. i really dont care what they write ill like what i like no matter where they rank a certain car. but i did like the recent R&T i think it was where they compared the cobra and gto. they claimed the cobra styling was excellent and the gto was very bland and boring. yet on their objective breakdown of the scoring both got a 10/10 for exterior styling???????
Old 7/2/04, 11:41 AM

Originally posted by rhumb@July 2, 2004, 11:49 AM
But don't forget they rated the antedeluvian Mach I ahead of several far newer and more sophisticated competitors in a recent comparison test.
How could you possibly misspell antediluvian!? Sometimes I have serious concerns over the state of our educational system.

Quick Reply: Just got the August Car and Driver