2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just back from a test drive. Here's my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/04, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off, let me say that i'm a former mustang enthusiast, having owned three in my lifetime. That being said, I sold my last one ten years ago, at age 24. I've been giving serious thought to buying a 3 series or a used M3 now, but the new 'Stang has really re-sparked my interest in the pony car. The price/value of this car simply can't be beat, and I think Ford hit a homerun with the styling. Hate to say it, but the last, fox-base version did nothing for me.

So, i got up this morning and read the local paper. Pittsburg (CA) Ford advertised Mustangs in stock, so off I went. Apparently they have 1 GT and 1 V6. I never saw the V6, but didn't care to after seeing the GT. My wife and I check out the GT, and it's windveil blue with charcoal interior, the exact color combo that I want. Made Me happy, but made my wife a little nervous, thinking I'm going to be tempted to drive off the lot today.

It's a really rainy day here today, so I didn't really get to push the thing too hard, but I was very impressed. It's not BMW tight, if that makes sense, but for a car that stickers below $30k, it's definitely an unbelievable value, and drives very well. The power was great, the interior was impressive. The back seat is tight if you have the seat far back, but was actually really comfortable when sitting in it (and you definitely sit "in" it). With the front seat moved up a bit, i could definitely spend some time back there, and I'm 6', 170 lbs. I test drove the stick, good throws, but would definitely put in a short shift kit, which i'm sure will be available, to tighten it up even more.

Now, as for pricing...the sales guy (new guy) told me MSRP for the car, as well as anything ordered :notnice: I was almost happy to hear that, so I wouldn't be tempted to order today (I'm trying my best to hold out and see the 'vert, and possibly the '18's before making any decisions).

When it does come time to buy, I'll likely look outside of NorCal, as it's too darn hard to get a good deal around here. To save $$, i'll gladly pick up my car in SoCal, or as far east as Texas or so. Great way to break in a car with a nice long drive home! Be interested to hear if anyone has a good NorCal connection though for hooking up a deal at, or close to invoice for orders.

So, basically I came away with a big smile on my face, and looking forward to getting one of these puppies in my garage...
Old 10/23/04, 03:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I ordered mine through the Internet/AAA contact at Magnussen's Fremont Ford.

Great deal, but they aren't offering deals any more, they want premium over MSRP
Old 10/23/04, 04:23 PM

Nice...good to know. Thanks for the info, i'm guessing that's about $500 over invoice.
Old 10/25/04, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

[edited later]
I promised my dealer I'd take out the details. I got it cheaper than they are selling them for now.