2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Japanese "Pony Cars"?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/05, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I am hoping an IRS does find its way into the Stang lineup to give it the overall real world agility to match its straight line oomph, what I have always wondered too is why the Japanese haven't done a Pony car of sorts, especially now that Nissan and Toyota have V8s in their parts shelves.

Nissan especially, with the 350Z sharing the same basic chassis as various V8 powered models, doesn't pop one into the Z or Infiniti G coupe? A nice 450Z sporting some 350hp, all with the agile Z chassis?

There are also rumors that Toyota's presumably upcoming Supra may have a V8 version and presumably a chassis more advanced than the current Stang's truck axled underpinnings.

Perhaps, if Ford won't take the fight to the import crowd by combining an up-to-date chassis to appeal to the import crowd with the Stang's everpresent straight line prowess, perhaps Nissan, Toyota or others may take the fight into the Stang's home turf by combining their more sophisticated chassis with V8 punch.

Would be quite interesting if either, or better, both scenarios play out. Nothing like good, stiff competition to give us performance enthusiasts better rides at better prices.
Old 3/4/05, 06:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rumor has a V8 in the M3. If the M3 had the power/torque of a Cobra, it would be hard to resist (if affordable).

I agree, V8 in Supra or 350Z etc would make them much more desirable.
Old 3/4/05, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Two things could happen: Ford could fold, or raise the bar and make a better product. And the Japanese do make a Mustang - though it's not available here...yet - it's called the Nissan Skyline.
Old 3/4/05, 11:28 PM
V6 Member

the problem with making the supras and 350z's better, with big v-8's is the fact that a Mustang is still affordable with 300 hp......your talking about some jack to put these things into imports.
Old 3/5/05, 12:52 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert@March 4, 2005, 11:39 PM
And the Japanese do make a Mustang - though it's not available here...yet - it's called the Nissan Skyline.
Actually, the Skyline is available here...it's the Infiniti G-35
Japan Nissan Model Range...click on the Skyline link under Sports&Specialty
Old 3/5/05, 12:53 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Robert@March 4, 2005, 11:39 PM
Two things could happen: Ford could fold, or raise the bar and make a better product. And the Japanese do make a Mustang - though it's not available here...yet - it's called the Nissan Skyline.
im not getting this, i thought the talk here was about V8's, Skyline has the twin turbo inline 6, plus it would cost u like a hundred grand to import a skyline and to convert the car (unless u wana drive sitting on the right side)
Old 3/5/05, 10:42 AM
Cobra Member

OXYMORON
Old 3/5/05, 11:00 AM
I'm people, and I like.

does anyone remember the Datsun Z? The japanese Muscle Car!
I love this car :P
Old 3/5/05, 12:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

We get them in the Bahamas. People usually buy them over the internet and have them shipped here. That twin turbo is a *****. I had a guy in one pull out from behind me. I floored it to give chase and he was actually pulling away from me! I cannot give a fair account because I never raced one from an even start, but I can tell you they have a legendary reputation and I’m talking about the previous models. And then there is the Lexus GS400, judging from the specs and what I have experienced the Japanese do not need a V-8 sports car they are doing good enough with v-6's and V-8 sport sedans.
Old 3/5/05, 02:35 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by thezeppelin8@March 5, 2005, 12:03 PM
does anyone remember the Datsun Z? The japanese Muscle Car!
I love this car :P

yeah those are pretty cool. my dog...er....brother was obsessed with this one for sale by our house ($1400) but they moved away :P heartbroken lol
Old 3/5/05, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by rhumb+March 4, 2005, 4:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhumb @ March 4, 2005, 4:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>While I am hoping an IRS does find its way into the Stang lineup to give it the overall real world agility to match its straight line oomph, what I have always wondered too is why the Japanese haven't done a Pony car of sorts, especially now that Nissan and Toyota have V8s in their parts shelves.[/b]

Dude, quit drumming the old "IRS" mantra. Have you even DRIVEN a 2005 Mustang yet? If not, then how could you possibly know that it isn't an agile car with great handling? And don't bother quoting magazines. The only opinions that count are the ones based on first-hand experience. Besides, if you quote the magazines, you'll also have to confront the 350Z's complaints, like excessive understeer and an overly-stiff, non-communicative suspension. I can vouch for both points, as I was able to get a nice, long test drive in a LeMans Sunset 350Z Performance. On a Pennsylvania interstate, that thing will jarr your teeth out.

Originally posted by rhumb@March 4, 2005, 4:39 PM
Nissan especially, with the 350Z sharing the same basic chassis as various V8 powered models, doesn't pop one into the Z or Infiniti G coupe? A nice 450Z sporting some 350hp, all with the agile Z chassis?
Actually, the brand-new Infiniti M45, which is based on the FM platform that underpins the 350Z, features a 4.5L V8.

There are also rumors that Toyota's presumably upcoming Supra may have a V8 version and presumably a chassis more advanced than the current Stang's truck axled underpinnings.
I have heard nothing of a Supra. Can you provide a link to your information? The closest thing I know of was that hybrid supercar Toyota unveiled as a concept last year, which morphed into a Lexus concept for this year.

Perhaps, if Ford won't take the fight to the import crowd by combining an up-to-date chassis to appeal to the import crowd with the Stang's everpresent straight line prowess, perhaps Nissan, Toyota or others may take the fight into the Stang's home turf by combining their more sophisticated chassis with V8 punch.
And you know these import unibodies are more "sophisticated" than the Mustang's because...?

<!--QuoteBegin-rhumb
@March 4, 2005, 4:39 PM
Would be quite interesting if either, or better, both scenarios play out. Nothing like good, stiff competition to give us performance enthusiasts better rides at better prices.
[/quote]

I'll agree with you there, though the Mustang's 300-hp and 320 lb/ft of power at a meager $25K will likely be very difficult to beat.
Old 3/5/05, 08:48 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 4, 2005, 7:03 PM
Rumor has a V8 in the M3. If the M3 had the power/torque of a Cobra, it would be hard to resist (if affordable).
You should probably know, then, that the next-generation M3 will be a 4-door sedan.

The Coupes and Cabriolet versions of the 3 series sedan will be re-introduced as the 4-Series. Hence, the next hi-power small coupe will likely be an M4.
Old 3/5/05, 10:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey rhumb, do you get out often? In case you haven't heard already, the Mustang won the first race in Grand-Am Cup at Daytona, over a field of mostly import cars with the more modern, un-truck-like rear suspension. Oh, and btw, not only did the Mustang win, it came in 2nd too. Now if only those glorified econo-boxes frome the land of the rising sun were more affordable (like under $25k) and sporting real, American-style V-8's, then maybe your pony-car wars could happen, until then, forgetaboutit!!!
Old 3/5/05, 10:20 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by grabbergreen+March 5, 2005, 10:51 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grabbergreen @ March 5, 2005, 10:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@March 4, 2005, 7:03 PM
You should probably know, then, that the next-generation M3 will be a 4-door sedan.

The Coupes and Cabriolet versions of the 3 series sedan will be re-introduced as the 4-Series. Hence, the next hi-power small coupe will likely be an M4.
[/b][/quote]
actually, yeah, i knew that. It didn't cross my mind when I wrote that. I have driven the old M3 and it handles on rails. My point is the next BMW M that is the equivalent of the M3 would be a monster with the V8. I have also driven the M5. That motor (if it is the one in the M3/4) is very sweet.
Old 3/5/05, 10:44 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@March 5, 2005, 11:23 PM
actually, yeah, i knew that. It didn't cross my mind when I wrote that. I have driven the old M3 and it handles on rails. My point is the next BMW M that is the equivalent of the M3 would be a monster with the V8. I have also driven the M5. That motor (if it is the one in the M3/4) is very sweet.
Hi CrazyHorse,

Sorry if I sounded a little mean-spirited there. I was still fuming after responding to the first post.

People trying to say a car isn't good enough when they haven't driven it yet is one of those things that just really gets to me.

Anyway, I only drove an M3 once, and that was because I was designated driver to a very drunk, vomiting owner. Needless to say, I didn't get to do much with it.

I did get to drive an Audi S4 Avant, however. It's similar to BMW's M series, only it was a wagon and had AWD instead of RWD. The motor was a V8 with a displacement somewhere in the low 4's (metric), maybe a 4.2 or 4.3? Anyway, that thing had some real pick-up-and-go. Most fun I've had driving the back country roads of Pennsylvania in a looong time! Its grip was like a set of track cleats (I think it was fitted with summer tires) and it took curves very well, albeit with some understeer, but that's pretty characteristic of AWD.

If BMW can do with the upcoming M3 sedan what Audi does with their S4, it should be a hot little car.
Old 3/6/05, 09:02 AM

2007 will be a damned war
Look at all these cars arriving in the 07 my:
SVT Cobra
possibly a Shelby Cobra
Magnum SRT-8
2-door SRT-8 Charger
Skyline GTR is set to arrive
Camaro comes back with 3 possible trims: plain jane LS1, SS, and z28, or all three.
GTO will get a make-over on the new Camaro platform. 2 versions, GTO 5.7LS1 and The Judge 6.0 LS6.
And I'm prolly leaving a few out, and there could still be more to come.
Some of theses are still up in the air as to wether they will definaty happen, but the Magnum, SVT Cobra, and Skyline are definatly true. The Charger has been talked about alittle and dodge seems to want to do that. Return of the Camaro, well I wouldn't doubt it, everyone ahs been talkin bout it and with Ford selling new Stangs like they are it's obvious there is a market for cheap and fast. Even a market for alittle less cheap but faster....
Like I said some of,this is fact, some is supposed leaked info, and some just seems like obvious choices that makers would do.
Old 3/6/05, 09:20 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by FrankBullitt05+March 5, 2005, 1:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FrankBullitt05 @ March 5, 2005, 1:55 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Robert@March 4, 2005, 11:39 PM
And the Japanese do make a Mustang - though it's not available here...yet - it's called the Nissan Skyline.
[/b][/quote]

True, they are calling the G35 the Skyline elsewhere. The Skyline GT-R (not available in current-generation form yet) is the model that has all the history though - basically in the mold of the WRX and Evo (high horsepower and AWD), but in coupe form.

Rumor has it that the GT-R will be back by 2007 though, and coming to the U.S. as well - most likely as a souped up G35.
Old 3/6/05, 10:45 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by grabbergreen+March 6, 2005, 12:47 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grabbergreen @ March 6, 2005, 12:47 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-crazyhorse@March 5, 2005, 11:23 PM
Hi CrazyHorse,

Sorry if I sounded a little mean-spirited there. I was still fuming after responding to the first post.

People trying to say a car isn't good enough when they haven't driven it yet is one of those things that just really gets to me.

Anyway, I only drove an M3 once, and that was because I was designated driver to a very drunk, vomiting owner. Needless to say, I didn't get to do much with it.

I did get to drive an Audi S4 Avant, however. It's similar to BMW's M series, only it was a wagon and had AWD instead of RWD. The motor was a V8 with a displacement somewhere in the low 4's (metric), maybe a 4.2 or 4.3? Anyway, that thing had some real pick-up-and-go. Most fun I've had driving the back country roads of Pennsylvania in a looong time! Its grip was like a set of track cleats (I think it was fitted with summer tires) and it took curves very well, albeit with some understeer, but that's pretty characteristic of AWD.

If BMW can do with the upcoming M3 sedan what Audi does with their S4, it should be a hot little car.
[/b][/quote]
I didn't take any offense. No worries.

The M3 had slight understeer, but otherwise was very neutral. Once you got it revving, it had respectable power. But it has almost no torque. If they could fix that, the car would be very sweet.

With an SVT Cobra at about 40k and the new M4 will likely be in the 60s, the choice for me is still Mustang. I still respect all the other cars listed on this thread.
Old 3/7/05, 07:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by RMac+March 6, 2005, 11:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RMac @ March 6, 2005, 11:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by FrankBullitt05@March 5, 2005, 1:55 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Robert
@March 4, 2005, 11:39 PM

True, they are calling the G35 the Skyline elsewhere. The Skyline GT-R (not available in current-generation form yet) is the model that has all the history though - basically in the mold of the WRX and Evo (high horsepower and AWD), but in coupe form.

Rumor has it that the GT-R will be back by 2007 though, and coming to the U.S. as well - most likely as a souped up G35.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, from what I've read, it's still up in the air if it will be a Nissan Skyline or an Infiniti Skyline, and the engine hasn't been determined yet, either. Either way, it's gonna be one sweet little ride.

Quick Reply: Japanese "Pony Cars"?