2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I've had my car for 5 years - got a present the other day

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/09, 04:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOWOW thats awesome!!!

Its like getting your car all over again!!
Old 11/23/09, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Back in 87 or 88 I had broadsided a pick up truck that didn't yield to my right of way. It looks pretty much like yours, perhaps even worse... None the less, the car was rebuilt and I drove the hell out of it. Its nothing for the body shop to straighten the rails from the shock towers forward. Mine had everything from the fan forward replaced. For me the body man did an excellent job, but the painter was blind... you could see the primer thru the oxford white. Needless to say, they got it back to get it right.

If the insurance is going to fix it, and as long as you have it in pieces, TALK TO THE BODY SHOP!!!!!You may be able to upgrade the front end on the insurance's dime providing the parts cost the same... By that I mean, I had them replace my hood with a Ford hood at X.XX dollars, when for less I could have had them order, paint and install a quality fiberglass hood. follow me??

None the less, keep us posted
Old 11/24/09, 06:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Busted

If the insurance is going to fix it, and as long as you have it in pieces, TALK TO THE BODY SHOP!!!!!You may be able to upgrade the front end on the insurance's dime providing the parts cost the same... By that I mean, I had them replace my hood with a Ford hood at X.XX dollars, when for less I could have had them order, paint and install a quality fiberglass hood. follow me??
The body shop already talked to me about that. I do want to change hoods, since this is the most opportune time. I was looking for a hood like Fang has with the point (like the 69 Mach 1s). I do not know much about fiberglass hoods vs metal hoods. I guess the sell enough, but any problems, especially since I want to cut a hole for the shaker scoop?
Old 11/24/09, 02:02 PM
GT Member

Good to see you are making lemonade from lemons!
-Jim
Old 11/24/09, 03:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Kluski
The body shop already talked to me about that. I do want to change hoods, since this is the most opportune time. I was looking for a hood like Fang has with the point (like the 69 Mach 1s). I do not know much about fiberglass hoods vs metal hoods. I guess the sell enough, but any problems, especially since I want to cut a hole for the shaker scoop?
Sweet!!!! unfortunately I know nothing about glass hoods, other then wanting one. Hopefully someone here will pipe in.
Old 11/24/09, 08:10 PM
Mek
Legacy TMS Member

Why not buy the CDC 69 style hood with the opening already there for the shaker? And it is aluminum, not fiberglass:

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=108
Old 11/25/09, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mek
Why not buy the CDC 69 style hood with the opening already there for the shaker? And it is aluminum, not fiberglass:

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=108
Thanks, I happened to see this one after I posted earlier. I saw this on some other sites for cheaper as well. With a hole already there, that should save some labor from the collision estimate.

Hopefully things will work out to where not only am I making lemonade from lemons, I am making lynchburg lemonade. I don't mean to sound like I am happy this happened, just making the best of what I was handed.
Old 11/25/09, 05:34 PM
Cobra R Member

Thanks, I happened to see this one after I posted earlier. I saw this on some other sites for cheaper as well. With a hole already there, that should save some labor from the collision estimate.... I don't mean to sound like I am happy this happened, just making the best of what I was handed.
I don't think anyone has the impression you're happy. But making the best of the situation is paramount.

As for a hood, look around for a Foose aluminum hood. It should be everything you want at a decent price, but it may be hard to find. Good luck !
Old 11/26/09, 08:33 AM

Best of luck with the rebuild, hopefully things will turn out well for you... even if the car is totaled, a Bullitt or GT500 would not be a bad replacement vehicle.
Old 11/26/09, 07:48 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a painted foose hood for $600 plus shiping

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=174
Old 11/26/09, 08:05 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
I bought a fang(now available from Aeroform) shaker- but I got it without the engine cover/with the blockoff plate they use for their mach1 scooped functional hood- had to cut the front standoffs off a bit, and mold some glass pedestals onto the blockoff plate, had to make a rubber seal from 3/8 neoprene sheet, and a metal backing plate to hold the rubber tight against the scoop- but its functional, looks like a shaker(but dont shake) and has room for a blower underneath someday

as fiberglass goes, its a nice piece- will need very little work for paint(still driving ricer-style in primer...) it is heavy, no hole for prop rod- want to go with struts, but dont want to stress the hood either- thinking the old style redlines that attach way forward would put the least force on the hood, but havent found a set yet(havent really looked much though either- car poor right now, will need to wait...only thing about the hood, the underside rubs the plastic by the wiper arms when opening/closing...its aligned , still rubs, like its a bit thicker than stock underneath...no hood pins/no shake, the center spear is something ford shoulda done. I'll edit/put a couple pics in here in a bit- I 'sat' an old original cougar eliminator scoop over the shaker- if I had to do it again, I'd go that route- but finding a 'good' 40 year old scoops not easy- but theyre out there(dont go aftermarket- I got one and its a POS...watch ebay for a old one)... wouldnt have to mess with the shaker, and it looked pretty darn cool IMO
I think the hood&scoop without the engine cover was only like 8~900 bucks too. the engine cover is a pretty big part of the shaker price I guess.

glad she aint totalled out

Last edited by ford4v429; 11/26/09 at 08:48 PM.
Old 11/26/09, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by kd4gij
Here is a painted foose hood for $600 plus shiping

http://www.classicdesignconcepts.com...t_detail&p=174
Hell of a deal, painted or not...
Old 11/26/09, 08:55 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltM
Man I agree thats a GREAT DEAL - the foose hood is aluminum/light and beautiful- forget the fang one
Old 11/27/09, 11:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WaltM
Originally Posted by ford4v429
Man I agree thats a GREAT DEAL - the foose hood is aluminum/light and beautiful- forget the fang one
Holy Cow, thanks. I saw this last week for full price, nice find.
Old 11/27/09, 11:29 AM
Cobra R Member

Holy Cow, thanks. I saw this last week for full price, nice find.

If it's what you're looking for, now's the chance. I've seen unfinished fiberglass cost more $$$.
Old 11/27/09, 11:37 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a unfinished Saleen DG hood that can be had for cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...item19b5733113
Old 11/27/09, 02:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by NJ3
Here's a unfinished Saleen DG hood that can be had for cheap.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALEE...item19b5733113

Sweet! I guess there's a few good deals out there...
Old 11/30/09, 03:35 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wierd part is, I would rather have my car as opposed to a GT500 right now.

of course man, its the time and effort that went into customizing it the way YOU want it.. plus you get emotionally tied to the car after so long, im like that too...glad to hear ur okay man..when my car got broken into, the passenger windo got smashed, i was furious but my mom said ur lucky he didnt hurt you, the car is fixable...to me its the opposite id rather be the one getting hurt and not seeing that terrible sight of broken glass..so yeah i know how u feel