2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

iPods, Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil & Walkie-Talkies

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/05, 02:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm moving to California with my buddy John in August and we got walkie talkies to keep in touch along the way as we each drive our own cars. We decided to try them out while running some errands today and overheard two girls commenting on a new Mustang GT they just saw. The signal came in really strong, so I figured they must have been close by. I chimed in and said "Is it green?"

They nearly had a heart attack. I mean, what are the odds? Two girls on the same frequency as me at the same time, within range, talking about MY car? How cool is that? The whole conversation went something like this:

"Did you just see that Mustang go by?" asked girl # 1
"Yeah, I think it was a GT." replied girl #2
"Yeah, that one. Nice. I still like the older ones. I like the color of that one though." said girl #1
"Me too." replied girl #2

After I asked if the car they were discussing was green...

"Oh my God. Did you catch that?" said girl #1.
"Yeah" replied girl #2
One of them said "That's a nice car!"

Then I added "I'm in line at Sheets waiting to get my car washed."

"That's so cool." was all I heard before the signal cut out. I'm not sure who said it, but it didn't matter. It made my day. I was all smiles after that. Even though the one girl preferred the older style over the new. Still, it was funny to pick up on their conversation. I HAD to share that with you.

Onto the OIL: I just purchased a case (6 quarts) of 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. I will be changing my oil before hitting the road for California and I decided to treat "Lucky" to the good stuff. Actually, I expect to treat her to the good stuff forever, since the techs at my dealership highly recommended sticking with synthetic oil. I paid $26.64 plus tax for the oil. Is that good? My buddy seemed to think it was steep.

About the iPod: I got a "Flex Dock" today for my iPod mini. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and serves as a mounting "bracket" and power point for the iPod. You can move it side to side and up and down so that you can easily read the display. Just thought I'd recommend it for anyone with an iPod mini. Coupled with the AirPlay FM modulator, it allows you to recharge and play your iPod as you listen to your 1,500 songs. Awesome configuration! It works great.

I wanted to mention this here in case no one visits the interior & audio mod threads.
Old 7/16/05, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

haha that's an awsome story about the walkie talkies. Too bad you didn't meet them, they seemed to know what they were talking about to.
Old 7/16/05, 03:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I paid $6.00 a quart for 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. I think you got a very good deal and btw go get another quart because it holds 6.3 quarts when you change the filter.
Old 7/16/05, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah, I'm still reeling over the fact that my car was the subject of a CB conversation and that I was able to contribute to it!

Yeah, Rich I thought it was a reasonable price for the oil. It normally sells for $4.99 a quart. It was marked down to $4.44. Thanks for the advice on having an additional quart handy. I'll get it before the sale ends! Time's running short and I have to get the oil changed this week.
Old 7/16/05, 05:56 PM
Cobra Member

Do they have that for the reg ipod? I love my 20 gig
Old 7/16/05, 06:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey Chris!!

Long time no talk! Seems like forever since we did the photoshoot with Lucky and Firepony and went to the Mustang show!!! Man have I been busy!!

Sounds like you're getting ready to hit the road for CA. I've got some walkie talkies like that we use them at the beach, great reception, cool that you picked up on the girls admiring your ride.

I like that iPod flexneck deal. I've finally decided to go with the XM MYFI the "personal" satellite radio you carry around like an iPod, getting it for my B'day next week, and I have found a similar deal to hold the XM MYFI. Couple of sellers on Ebay. Anyone else done one of these flexy mount deals??? Issues/recommendations?

EBAY-XM MYFI Flexneck

Greg
Old 7/16/05, 07:10 PM
Cobra Member

Corey, I would think that you could get the same type product for the full-sized iPod. I've only got the mini, so I only scoped out accessories for that unit. I got my flex dock at the Apple Store. It's a great place to start looking. Be forewarned; you can spend an awful lot of money in a place like that! Maybe Apple's website has what you're looking for.

Yeah Greg, it's been a while. Busy? Brother, I know what you mean! It's been a zoo. Hope you've been enjoying your 'Stang. You should know that a lot of people at work enjoyed the shots of your car downtown and at the fountain near Brown's Island! They got a kick out of hearing how we hooked up. Glad you're getting wired up for more tunes. Good for you! You won't regret it. It's like rediscovering music! :headbang:
Old 7/16/05, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great story.
I paid 4.99 for the MOBIL 1 5W-20. I thought it was a bit steep considering the other (popular) multigrades are around 4.15 per quart.
Doesn't matter, she's going to get the good stuff anyway.
Old 7/16/05, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I use the cup-mount for my Xm Mifi. You have to use the FM transmitter to listen to it, and I usually throw the antenna up on the dash. I plug it in in the center console power point.
Old 7/16/05, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

I have my MyFi in the console. I ran the antenna wire from the trunk under the seats and up under the console. I Dremmeled a small hole in the bottom of the little tab opening thing in the console for the wire to fit through. The nice thing about it is it's out of site from snooping eyes. I left enough wire loose so I can pull the unit out and change stations, etc. It's nice that they put a power outlet in there too.

Chris, that sounds like a good buy on the oil. And neat that you got to here that conversation on the walkie talkies!

Here is my XM installed-
[attachmentid=27626]
Old 7/16/05, 09:55 PM
Cobra Member

I had no idea how much Mobil 1 would cost, but I've heard that it's more expensive than ordinary oil. I was prepared to pay a lot more than I did. Needless to say, I'm glad I got the oil so cheap! I bought it at Auto Zone. I think they're everywhere but I'm not sure.

I like the MyFi unit; you can't beat its portability. The cup holster is handy. I've seen the same thing for the iPod mini. It's good the 'Stang has 2 cupholders!

Janet, that was a clever installation. The low-profile approach is very sensible considering how much you paid for the MyFi! I like the fact that the console has a power point too; that's where I charge up my phone.
Old 7/16/05, 10:40 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 16, 2005, 4:39 PM
I'm moving to California with my buddy John in August and we got walkie talkies to keep in touch along the way as we each drive our own cars. We decided to try them out while running some errands today and overheard two girls commenting on a new Mustang GT they just saw. The signal came in really strong, so I figured they must have been close by. I chimed in and said "Is it green?"

They nearly had a heart attack. I mean, what are the odds? Two girls on the same frequency as me at the same time, within range, talking about MY car? How cool is that? The whole conversation went something like this:

"Did you just see that Mustang go by?" asked girl # 1
"Yeah, I think it was a GT." replied girl #2
"Yeah, that one. Nice. I still like the older ones. I like the color of that one though." said girl #1
"Me too." replied girl #2

After I asked if the car they were discussing was green...

"Oh my God. Did you catch that?" said girl #1.
"Yeah" replied girl #2
One of them said "That's a nice car!"

Then I added "I'm in line at Sheets waiting to get my car washed."

"That's so cool." was all I heard before the signal cut out. I'm not sure who said it, but it didn't matter. It made my day. I was all smiles after that. Even though the one girl preferred the older style over the new. Still, it was funny to pick up on their conversation. I HAD to share that with you.
Onto the OIL: I just purchased a case (6 quarts) of 5W-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil. I will be changing my oil before hitting the road for California and I decided to treat "Lucky" to the good stuff. Actually, I expect to treat her to the good stuff forever, since the techs at my dealership highly recommended sticking with synthetic oil. I paid $26.64 plus tax for the oil. Is that good? My buddy seemed to think it was steep.
About the iPod: I got a "Flex Dock" today for my iPod mini. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and serves as a mounting "bracket" and power point for the iPod. You can move it side to side and up and down so that you can easily read the display. Just thought I'd recommend it for anyone with an iPod mini. Coupled with the AirPlay FM modulator, it allows you to recharge and play your iPod as you listen to your 1,500 songs. Awesome configuration! It works great.

I wanted to mention this here in case no one visits the interior & audio mod threads.
Nice ego booster..how much would it cost me to get exactly what you have(ipod,braket,fm thingy)?? :worship:
Old 7/16/05, 11:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Boltzman@July 16, 2005, 11:43 PM
Nice ego booster..how much would it cost me to get exactly what you have(ipod,braket,fm thingy)?? :worship:
The 6GB iPod Mini: $249.00
USB Power Adapter*: $29.00
XtremeMac AirPlay FM Transmitter for iPod: $39.95
Ten FlexDock for Mini: $49.95

Total: $367.90

* You don't need the adapter; the mini comes with a USB power supply cord. (I got it in case I didn't have access to my computer.)

Looking at the receipts, I can't believe I've spent this much. However, it was over the course of months, so it doesn't seem so bad. It is an expensive toy, but it really proves it's worth once you load it up with tunes and take it on the road.
Old 7/17/05, 01:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally posted by CelticCub@July 17, 2005, 1:18 AM
The 6GB iPod Mini: $249.00
USB Power Adapter*: $29.00
XtremeMac AirPlay FM Transmitter for iPod: $39.95
Ten FlexDock for Mini: $49.95

Total: $367.90

* You don't need the adapter; the mini comes with a USB power supply cord. (I got it in case I didn't have access to my computer.)

Looking at the receipts, I can't believe I've spent this much. However, it was over the course of months, so it doesn't seem so bad. It is an expensive toy, but it really proves it's worth once you load it up with tunes and take it on the road.
ANYTHING for our beautiful stangs!!!thanks for the info