2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Installed my first performance mods today!

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/07, 03:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed my first performance mods today!

Tunable Induction CAI w/ Green filter (ironically enough, the filter is red!)
Xcal2 flash tune (87 octane)

Both products were purchased together from breenspeed.com. They gave me a custom tune that took the new CAI into account.

Instillation of the CAI was a breeze. The instructions were very clear cut and easy to follow. The hardest part was fitting the new intake over the throttle body, the rubber was very stiff and didn't want to bend. From then on, everything was a snap. Looks great too!

Flash tuning was as easy as plugging the Xcal2 into my OBD2 port and following the onscreen directions. No fuss, no muss.

Some secondary mobds I did today were instillation of a OEM engine cover (Powered By Ford) and CDC pedal covers. The engine cover went on very easily...though I had a black washer of some sort fall off the throttle body on the passengers side. Couldn't figure out where it went (or even if it came off there), so I left it off. It resembled the rubber piece on the engine cover.
Pedals were also fairly easy. Gas pedal was as easy as peal off the 3M tape, stick it on, hold it a second, and voila! Break pedal was more difficult... only because I tried to slip the new one over the old one (without removing the existing one) . Once I figured out I had to take off the old one to put the new one on, it went on with no trouble at all.

I didn't dyno my car before hand, so all I have to work off of to test performance gains is my "butt-o-meter".

WOW is all I can say. The tune + CAI really woke up the beast. It totally eliminated the small lag I had between smashing the gas and the car responding. Accelerations seem harder and faster. The one concern I have is upon accelerating, there is a small "whistling" or "wooshing" sound. Not sure if that is a problem, or if that is to be expected. Whatever it is, it didn't seem to affect anything.

I didn't get to install everything today, but I'll get to it someday. Still have a trunk lid mat and some chrome trim for the doors to put on.
Old 5/25/07, 03:53 PM
GT Member

Cool deal, within the next couple of weeks I plan on getting my C&L and tuner, cant wait....
Old 5/25/07, 04:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WarBird69
WOW is all I can say. The tune + CAI really woke up the beast. It totally eliminated the small lag I had between smashing the gas and the car responding. Accelerations seem harder and faster. The one concern I have is upon accelerating, there is a small "whistling" or "wooshing" sound. Not sure if that is a problem, or if that is to be expected. Whatever it is, it didn't seem to affect anything.
Hey, man! How's it going??

You definitely will hear more noise of the whooshing variety when you install a CAI. It is to be expected.

Enjoy!
Old 5/25/07, 04:28 PM
V6 Member

That sound is just the air getting sucked in
Old 5/25/07, 05:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
Hey, man! How's it going??

You definitely will hear more noise of the whooshing variety when you install a CAI. It is to be expected.

Enjoy!
Doing good Tony! We'll have to get together sometime after August, look at our ponies, and have some dinner! I drove by that Vietnamese place today, and didn't notice any cars there. I wonder if they shut down for good?

Glad to hear the wooshing is normal. I went out to drive a little more, and WOW... chirping my tires into 4th gear (when before 2nd was about it would do) is something else!
Old 5/25/07, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way you may want to check on the filter the Green Brand of filters are in deed supose to be Green.

Richard
Old 5/26/07, 07:38 PM
Cobra R Member

Wish mine was red and not blue.
Old 5/28/07, 12:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

I got the yellow tube w/ my JLT, now a yelloy filter would have been really trick. As for the whistling, it should be normal. Enjoy. Now you need a set of axlebacks.
Old 6/12/07, 04:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's pics, as requested!

First, just an overall shot of the engine bay. Yes its dirty...but meh. I'll clean it someday.

Side shot of the intake. It was in an unopened (as far as I could tell) "GREEN" filter box.

I love this intake! <3

Old 6/13/07, 08:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Looks good! Thanks for the pics!
Old 6/13/07, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
The one concern I have is upon accelerating, there is a small "whistling" or "wooshing" sound. Not sure if that is a problem, or if that is to be expected. Whatever it is, it didn't seem to affect anything.
probably that washer